7710 problems

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Symbian (mobile phones, etc) ports

Moderator: ScummVM Team

vne

Loading saved game at startup

Post by vne »

sev wrote:Recently we significantly reduced memory usage for ITE. Also it is possible to load a save from command line on those systems which support it. We already have feature request for loading saves directly from the launcher, but we stucked there because nobody got an idea how to implement that in the GUI. If you got some good idea and sketches, feel free to comment
Thanks for you comments.
Actually I didn't find any easy way to pass command line parameters to scummvm under Symbian OS.
So I've placed my comment under wishlist URL provided (sourceforge), was unable to add sketch though:
Most logical and useful way for this is to add "Load saved game at startup" option to the game options dialog (on the "Paths" tab, see sketch) -
checked off by default.
In this case it should be stored in configuration file.
Default load path in this case means basicly last saved file from default save path (selected using filename template).

voila!
Last edited by vne on Tue Dec 20, 2005 11:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
vne

saga_mini vs saga

Post by vne »

SumthinWicked wrote:saga_mini is ScummVM for SymbianOS with just the saga engine compiled in and everything else disabled, so no other engines, no MP3 or Ogg, no Zlib (ITE doesn't need these anyways as far as I know). This should use the absolutely minimum in memory usage currently possible with ScummVM.

There are some ideas about a generic Small Devices Backend that could offer more memory and other speed improvements, but thse are just ideas at the moment (see http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/Small_Devices_Backend for more information)
Got it. So except for compressed saved games it does make sense to use saga_mini instead of saga. Unless compression and mp3 tracks will be supported in future saga engine builds.

Thanks for explanation.
sev
ScummVM Lead

Re: Loading saved game at startup

Post by sev »

vne wrote: Most logical and useful way for this is to add "Load saved game at startup" option to the game options dialog (on the "Paths" tab, see sketch) -
checked off by default.
There are up to 100 savegames per game.

Eugene
vne

Post by vne »

sev wrote: There are up to 100 savegames per game.
This shouldn't be a problem. It could be just a text box in the dialog under "Load_path" button, where user can edit filename template for desired savegame. Which then will be passed as a parameter.
Or it is easy to collect all the filenames from the dir specified [save_path] using filename template, sort them and select last one (preferable).
Or show collected filenames as a list, so user can pick up an item (actually less handy). I mean right here, not when starting game.

Or it might be more logical to rename "Load Path" to "Load file". But I would start with just a text box with filename stored in configuration file for the beginning.

Thanks for reading this.
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

vne wrote: This shouldn't be a problem. It could be just a text box in the dialog under "Load_path" button, where user can edit filename template for desired savegame.
You seem not understand it. It's not that easy. All saves are in from [target].s[number] where target is game target name like 'monkey' or 'samnmax' and number is 2 decimal digits. For example monkey.s20. Text which you type in is stored inside of that file and each engine does that differently now. Additionally scumm module stores screenshot, date and gameplay time in the save.

Eugene
vne

Post by vne »

sev wrote:It's not that easy. All saves are in from [target].s[number] where target is game target name like 'monkey' or 'samnmax' and number is 2 decimal digits. For example monkey.s20. Text which you type in is stored inside of that file and each engine does that differently now. Additionally scumm module stores screenshot, date and gameplay time in the save.
Eugene
Thanks Eugene.
I do understand that I'm stupid. And my apologies for off-topic, last part about loading games at startup should be cut and pasted to general discussion section.
But I'm talking here about fast-and-dirty solution. If trying to be perfect, yes, it is good to have fancy dialog window showing saved games as a list with thumbnails from screenshoots, date and time, user text typed. But all this about getting filename like "monkey.s20" and passing it to engine with -x option(if supported) by launcher, not by user. Which I've suggested to do right from the beginning without going inside saved files.
Still not sure if -x option supported by Symbian OS port for saga engine.

Regards,
Egor
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

vne wrote: But I'm talking here about fast-and-dirty solution.
That would be a hack, and we try to avoid hacks.
vne wrote:Still not sure if -x option supported by Symbian OS port for saga engine.
It's irrelevant to the platform, so it's there for any port where saga runs.
vne wrote: Regards,
Egor
Хы, Егор, а английский у тебя оч хороший :)

Eugene
vne

Post by vne »

sev wrote:That would be a hack, and we try to avoid hacks.
I would name it "functional prototype". Anyways, thanks.

Egor
p.s. Спасибо, стараюсь. С волками жить, по-волчьи выть...
SumthinWicked
ScummVM Porter

Post by SumthinWicked »

sev wrote:We use Zlib for compressing saves.
heh, I realized about the saves when I pressed the submit button, but it will also work without, unless you try to load a zipped savegame... but I guess people will be happy enough when they actually get it running this way :)

About the savegame loading, could the save game routine not save the last saved savegame filename in a domain-specific 'last_savegame' config var? The UI for auto-loading could then be a checkbox labelled "Load last saved game on startup" or somethink along those lines...

gtz,
SumthinWicked
vne

Load last saved game on startup

Post by vne »

SumthinWicked wrote:About the savegame loading, could the save game routine not save the last saved savegame filename in a domain-specific 'last_savegame' config var? The UI for auto-loading could then be a checkbox labelled "Load last saved game on startup" or somethink along those lines...
Good idea to have just "Load last saved game on startup" checkbox. Makes life much easier! An there really no need to modify savegame code and add extra variables, since it is not that difficult to find (even to me, using file attributes) last file saved - for set based on filename mask (i.e. monkey.s*) and save path for certain game.
Loading last saved game is what I'm doing in 99% of cases.

Cheers,
Egor
vne

ITE and version 0.8.1

Post by vne »

Inherit the earth (ite, floppy version) no longer works under new release of scummvm (v0.8.1, January 30, 2006). It just thinking about 4 seconds and then exits, not even showing startup intro screen. And it used to work before under previous cvs s90 builds.

Thanks
Last edited by vne on Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
sev
ScummVM Lead

Re: ITE and version 0.8.1

Post by sev »

vne wrote:Inherit the earth (ite, floppy version) no longer works under new release of scummvm (v0.8.1, January 30, 2006).
Please, submit a proper bugreport for this. See Forum Rules on where and how.

Eugene
vne

ITE crush

Post by vne »

Done. Submitted to bugtracker, which is real pain in the ass. Have to fiddle around SSL in the bug tracker using browser which doesn't support ssl.
Anotherguest
ScummVM Porter

Post by Anotherguest »

But I think that ITE has evolved quite a lot from 0.8.x versions, and the cvs version is a 0.9 version. What can be noticed for ITE is that they have lowered the memory requirements abit, so you can get past the intial intros.
vne

Post by vne »

Anotherguest wrote:But I think that ITE has evolved quite a lot from 0.8.x versions, and the cvs version is a 0.9 version. What can be noticed for ITE is that they have lowered the memory requirements abit, so you can get past the intial intros.
Still didn't get it. Apologies for being thick.
So version 0.8.2 from January 30, 2006 is actually older than CVS v.0.9 dated January 6th?
Who are "they"? So 0.8.2 version has been built built not by Anotherguest?

Thanks!