Full throttle / The Dig Fixed?

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Symbian (mobile phones, etc) ports

Moderator: ScummVM Team

roteero2001

Full throttle / The Dig Fixed?

Post by roteero2001 »

hi , its been a few months since the last time i checked this forum.
i only managed to run full throttle on my 6670 after deleting the video files cause it kept freezing 5 seconds after into video start, but the game would crash when the bike fighting scene start. also managed to run the dig after deleting video files.

are there any new fixes to these problems with latest builds?
Anotherguest
ScummVM Porter

Post by Anotherguest »

Well.. hmm FT requires around 12-18 memory free to run after ScumMVM has been started so .. well that could be possible on a N70 perhaps.. I have gotten into game on P910, but it crashes into the first bar scene. But video intro is cool
Moddas

Post by Moddas »

That's quite sad, that the videos don't work. but ok. now I know how to get FT run on my phone. you said 12-18 mb space. is this the only requirement to get the videos (and the biker scenes) runnin?

thx
Anotherguest
ScummVM Porter

Post by Anotherguest »

Yes and I mean at least 18 mb of free working memory.. i.e not available space on C: or D.
Moddas

Post by Moddas »

hmmm.... is there no possibility to expand the memory? because FT always crashes after the bar scene after I got my keys and want to ride my bike.
Anotherguest
ScummVM Porter

Post by Anotherguest »

Ehh.. no .. only way is to buy a new phone. The N70 has quite alot of memory free.. >25 I think.. and perhaps some of the E series phones.

Another way is to dont use any skins, dont run any other apps etc. But that does n't give you that much. Further optimization in the game engine might help, the video is using quite alot of memory (up to 8 mb just for playing videos.
jtan

Post by jtan »

There is a way to create a dummy video file (smaller and maybe blank), like some guys do in ripped game versions? This save some memo space?
clem

Post by clem »

jtan wrote:There is a way to create a dummy video file (smaller and maybe blank), like some guys do in ripped game versions? This save some memo space?
since the problem seems to be about RAM and not storage space, the better approach would probably be to disable video playback in some versions of ScummVM? Mind that I don't know if the video player needs that much ram or if the game/engine itself is that RAM hungry
Moddas

Post by Moddas »

or another good posibility would be to emulate some RAM, like the EMM386 in older DOS versions.
clem

Post by clem »

Moddas wrote:or another good posibility would be to emulate some RAM, like the EMM386 in older DOS versions.
EMM386 does not emulate RAM :lol:
Anotherguest
ScummVM Porter

Post by Anotherguest »

The videoplayer is very memoryhungry. It can play up to 16 streams at once, and each stream is allocating 0,5 mb of memory of playback buffer.. And well just the intro is like 3-4 stream at places.. So the further you play the more you can see how the memory required increases.
Maveric

Post by Maveric »

In the good old days you were able to run FT on a Pentium 75mhz with 8mb of RAM... :-/
Anotherguest
ScummVM Porter

Post by Anotherguest »

Well.. see you are not running the original engine are you? And this C++ code has been optimized to run on as many systems as possible, and I don't think that the memory reqs. has been thought off that very much actually.