problem with 1.3.0 version (Nokia E90 & Zak McKracken)

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Symbian (mobile phones, etc) ports

Moderator: ScummVM Team

gattovicentino

problem with 1.3.0 version (Nokia E90 & Zak McKracken)

Post by gattovicentino »

Hi all!
That's the problem with 1.3.0 on Nokia E90:
all seems to work (as worked in 1.2.1) with some games (Monkey Island etc.) but Zak McKracken (FM Towns version) only shows text and music (no images!). (it works correctly in 1.2.1 version).
What should I do about it? I had to reinstall 1.2.1 to play Zak again...
Thanks!
gattovicentino

Post by gattovicentino »

Same issue of Nokia E90 found on Iphone 3GS too! I tested it today. ScummVM 1.3.0 and Zak McKracken (Fm Towns version): text, music and sounds only; no graphics! (It works fine on ScummVM 1.2.1).
Well, it seems to be a ScummVM 1.3.0 bug, because Nokia E90 and Iphone 3GS are very different devices, with the same problem!
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

The graphics code for FM-TOWNS SCUMM games has been rewritten, and produces correct colors now (there were issues related with the palette used in these games, as they used an intermediate overlay to paint graphics). There seems to be a bug with the 8-bit color fallback for these games, and the iPhone port does not support 16-bit color yet. So, it's both because of a bug in the SCUMM code and because of a missing feature in the iPhone port
athrxx
ScummVM Developer

Post by athrxx »

8-bit mode still works fine for me on the PC (MinGW with --disable-16bit).

The porter might want to try a build with DISABLE_TOWNS_DUAL_LAYER_MODE which disables some more parts of the new code.
gattovicentino

Post by gattovicentino »

Ah ok, I understand the issue now, thanks for the info. Then I should use 1.2.1 version on both Nokia E90 and Iphone, until a new version (for both Symbian S60v3 and Ios) will correct the problem. Right?
Anotherguest
ScummVM Porter

Post by Anotherguest »

I can try to enable that define to see if it works better.
fuzzie
ScummVM Developer

Post by fuzzie »

Anotherguest wrote:I can try to enable that define to see if it works better.
After some hours spent trying random things for a similar problem on Android, it turned out that the new FM-TOWNS code was broken on all ARM. It should work now with the fixes on the 1.3.1 branch without need for the define, although I only tested it on Android myself (which has 16bpp support).
gattovicentino

Post by gattovicentino »

all OK now on Iphone 3GS using new version 1.3.1 ! Perfect!
Still using 1.2.1 on Nokia E90, since 1.3.0 doesn't work and 1.3.1 doesn't exist (yet?) :D
Anotherguest
ScummVM Porter

Post by Anotherguest »

Ahh yes.. I still need to build the 1.3.1 with the arm fix in it.