Where is 1.2???

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's PocketPC/HandheldPC port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

NLS

Where is 1.2???

Post by NLS »

You declared PalmOS dead not WM! Where is WM 1.2 final build?
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Re: Where is 1.2???

Post by LordHoto »

NLS wrote:You declared PalmOS dead not WM! Where is WM 1.2 final build?
It is true that the WinCE port is not officially dead yet, but we do not have anyone actively maintaining it. Robin might be able to try to get some builds up tomorrow though, so your best hope is to wait for that.
windowsmobilefan

Post by windowsmobilefan »

I just want to encourage you to continue the support for Windows Mobile. There are still many people using and loving it (including me). Windows Mobile is certainly more popular than Slackware, Dreamcast, Nintendo 64, GameCube and some more of the 41 different platforms that are still supported.
So please dont't let the Windows Mobile version die. :(
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Post by LordHoto »

windowsmobilefan wrote:I just want to encourage you to continue the support for Windows Mobile. There are still many people using and loving it (including me). Windows Mobile is certainly more popular than Slackware, Dreamcast, Nintendo 64, GameCube and some more of the 41 different platforms that are still supported.
Well Slackware for sure is just a normal Linux distribution, so that's "supported" out of the box anyway. The other ports you mention do have some dedicated porters, who still have enough time on their hands.

Jubanka, the (former) WinCE porter, is currently ultra busy with his real life and at least I didn't hear anything from him in > 1 year IIRC, so unless there is someone else with development skills for WinCE willing to join us, it might be hard to keep the port alive in case it requires more than simple building.

I can assure you that Robin, one of our devs, tries to get some release builds for 1.2.0 out at least. But he is also quite busy with his job(s).

I also heard that the most recent Windows Mobile release (or the next one, I am not quite sure about that) does not allow any "unmanaged" code, which ScummVM is, to run anymore. So it might also be that on the next generation of Windows Mobile devices there is just no possibility to run ScummVM anymore, untill there's hacks like Jailbreaking for iPhone etc.
jvprat
ScummVM Developer

Post by jvprat »

windowsmobilefan wrote:I just want to encourage you to continue the support for Windows Mobile. There are still many people using and loving it (including me). Windows Mobile is certainly more popular than Slackware, Dreamcast, Nintendo 64, GameCube and some more of the 41 different platforms that are still supported.
It doesn't work like this, but the opposite way: a platform being supported means that there's someone motivated enough and with enough time to maintain the port and do the builds.
We don't choose which platforms to support and which builds to offer. If we could choose, we'd make builds for EVERY machine on the world capable of running ScummVM, including PalmOS and every currently dead port.
So you understand: We just offer the builds people do. If noone makes them... we have nothing to offer. There are Slackware, Dreamcast, Nintendo 64, etc. builds because there's someone motivated enough for those platforms.

NLS and windowsmobilefan: I just want to encourage you to start working on the support for Windows Mobile. There are still many people using and loving it (including you). So please dont't let the Windows Mobile version die. ;)

And to answer the title question ("Where is 1.2???"), I'd say "It's in your hands" ;)
robinwatts
ScummVM Developer

Post by robinwatts »

I'd like to echo jvprats sentiments. If there is anyone out there that wants to help out with the WinCE port, please let me know.

I'll gladly help you get up and building. It needn't cost you a penny as all the tools are free.

Some C/C++ coding experience would be good, but a willingness to experiment and learn will take you a long way!

Robin
pilaxoft

Post by pilaxoft »

I have the same meaning
Thanks for the great job.
NLS

Post by NLS »

Seems it is dying anyway. :(
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

NLS, go and try to find and motivate capable WinCE developers to work on the port, and it won't die out.
NLS

Post by NLS »

I have tried.

I even used to talk to the fellow Greek dev that was active with the project here (and Stella for WM too), but he isn't even talking to me for some reason I don't know, let alone keep up with the projects.

I'll try to check with the guy that made the CBM64 emulator for WM. Maybe he will be interested.
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

If you mean by "the fellow Greek dev that was active with the project here" our team member Kostas aka "Knakos" aka "Jubanka", who used to be the WinCE maintainer for ScummVM: He is not probably not responding to you for the same reason that he is currently not working on ScummVM (and won't be for some more time to come). Namely, due to things in his personal life, he is currently unable to (or at least heavily restrict in) accessing the Internet. This might last another year or two, as far as I understand. Kostas can't be blamed for this, he probably dislikes this *way* more than any of us here.