Monkey3 + Touch Pro = ScummVM crashes by pushing a Button!

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's PocketPC/HandheldPC port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

MauRi

Monkey3 + Touch Pro = ScummVM crashes by pushing a Button!

Post by MauRi »

Hey Guys!
I hope you can help me. Today I spend my time to install ScummVM (Version 1.1.1) and Monkey 3 on the devise HTC Touch Pro (using WM 6.5 Build 21872) !
So far, so good.
After I figured out, how to use ScummVM, how to assign the keys and how to make to disappear the menu-bar at the bottom I was really happy to meet Guybrush Threepwood again!
The encounter with Wally ends, as expected, in crying and I wanted to save the game.

Pushing the key to make the menu-bar appear, ScummVM crashes totally! I tried some other keys, but always the same reaction.

Any ideas to solve this problem?
Greetz
MauRi
robinwatts
ScummVM Developer

Post by robinwatts »

OK, so that's a 640x480 device. I'll see if I can provoke the same problem on my 800x480 device here at some point - but I can't promise when...

Robin
MauRi

Post by MauRi »

Big thx!

Next question: there are 3 different versions of ScummVM

ScummVM: quits with an error: (2:2003:0xB6): createResource(Sound,246): Out of memory while allocating 1966160
Any ideas why? Free program-memory-space~ 85MB
The gamefiles are stored on the memorystick. There I have ~500MB free. Dont know if its important to know.

ScummVM1: COMI crashes by pushing any button. Taking the staff from the wall first and then speaking to Wally or first speaking to Wally has no effect/make no difference. Its something like a time-bomb. After about 15sec. any button ends in crashing the program

ScummVM2: pushing the start-button has no effect. Only the menu-bar of ScummVM appears in the bottom. When clicking on the ape to rotate the screen, an information says, that
using SDL driver wingapi
Display 480x640 (real 480x640)

Monkey 2 runs without problems.
robinwatts
ScummVM Developer

Post by robinwatts »

I can confirm that I have reproduced the problem on my device. Can't promise how long it will take to find time to look for a cure though.
MauRi wrote:Next question: there are 3 different versions of ScummVM
Yes. And the ReadMe-WinCE.txt explains why.

Scumm is a combined build with all the engines in. Expect this to be too big for some devices to cope with. Hence we provide 2 smaller 'split' executables.
ScummVM: quits with an error: (2:2003:0xB6): createResource(Sound,246): Out of memory while allocating 1966160
Any ideas why? Free program-memory-space~ 85MB
The gamefiles are stored on the memorystick. There I have ~500MB free. Dont know if its important to know.
It's too big. 85Meg of build in memory does not mean 85 Meg of memory available to a single process.
ScummVM1: COMI crashes by pushing any button. Taking the staff from the wall first and then speaking to Wally or first speaking to Wally has no effect/make no difference. Its something like a time-bomb. After about 15sec. any button ends in crashing the program
This is the problem we're investigating, yes.
ScummVM2: pushing the start-button has no effect. Only the menu-bar of ScummVM appears in the bottom. When clicking on the ape to rotate the screen, an information says, that
using SDL driver wingapi
Display 480x640 (real 480x640)
There is no Scumm engine built into ScummVM2 - I'm surprised you even get that far. You wouldn't expect it to cope.

Robin
MauRi

Post by MauRi »

Thank you very much for your support.
First of all: for sure, I had to read the text-file. Sry

The bottom line is I have to use ScummVM without any numbers, right? But it isnt working. Is there a possibilty to fix this problem or avoiding it?
Iam not sure, but I think I read somewhere, that another version dont load all Files, only the ones that are in this moment needed?! Would this virtual machine avoiding the problem with out of memory-Error?

So long,
MauRi
robinwatts
ScummVM Developer

Post by robinwatts »

MauRi wrote:The bottom line is I have to use ScummVM without any numbers, right?
No.

ScummVM without any numbers is the one with all the engines built in. If you use that it's quite likely that you'll run out of memory and die.

Instead you should use *either* ScummVM1.exe or ScummVM2.exe as appropriate for the game you are trying to play.

For COMI this means you should use ScummVM1.exe. That seems to make the game work, until you run into the 'crashing when pressing a button' problem. That's a bug I need to look into.

Robin
amin123

Post by amin123 »

robinwatts wrote: For COMI this means you should use ScummVM1.exe. That seems to make the game work, until you run into the 'crashing when pressing a button' problem. That's a bug I need to look into.

Robin
I have the same problem with Monkey Island 3 (HTC HD2/Version 1.1.1), is there any solution yet?

greets
robinwatts
ScummVM Developer

Post by robinwatts »

amin123 wrote:I have the same problem with Monkey Island 3 (HTC HD2/Version 1.1.1), is there any solution yet?
I haven't had a chance to look yet, and it will be at least a few weeks before I do. If anyone else cares to try to find the bug, please feel free!

Sorry,

Robin
MauRi

Post by MauRi »

Don't rush! Iam now playing MI2, its cool too!

I was just impressed as i saw MI3 on the HTC TOuch Pro. I didn't knew that my phone is able to handle the game.

I would search for the bug, but i have no idea of the software and first of all: how to search for it.

Thx for the support anyway!
MauRi
aplnx

I'm having the same problem

Post by aplnx »

I was playing Full Throttle when the game crashed. The message occured in createResource(sound, 749) function. I can't see the complete message but I guess that is Out of memory.

I have HTC Touch (p3450 elf) with windows mobile. How I can disable the sound to continue playing?