7th Guest no music ogg nor mp3 format

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's PocketPC/HandheldPC port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

pilaxoft

7th Guest no music ogg nor mp3 format

Post by pilaxoft »

I´m playing 7th guest, thanks for those about that work.

But I can't play with "default" audio music.
I have the following message error :

"ERROR: Groovie::Music: fat+ad not found !"

I´ve tried in ogg and mp3 file formats and still this doesn´t work.

This trouble happens in a ce2003se qvga hp ipaq 1940 ( Ít´s impossible to read that error in qvga screen, it seems ants) and a Htc 9000 ce5 vga

Any clue about that?

Thanks.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Re: 7th Guest no music ogg nor mp3 format

Post by eriktorbjorn »

pilaxoft wrote: "ERROR: Groovie::Music: fat+ad not found !"
It's the second time I've seen that particular error mentioned, which strikes me as odd because I thought it was looking for the file fat.ad, not fat+ad. But the first thread didn't lead anywhere, so I don't know.
Exolon

Post by Exolon »

Hmm, I tried both, MP3 and OGG with the current 1.1.0 and had no problem. Sound is playing well. I used an iPAQ hx2750 (2003se, qvga).
pilaxoft

Post by pilaxoft »

Exolon wrote:Hmm, I tried both, MP3 and OGG with the current 1.1.0 and had no problem. Sound is playing well. I used an iPAQ hx2750 (2003se, qvga).
The problem comes with music tracks, no with sound.
Pherhaps I´m doing something very bad way, but I don´t know what´s the problem.
Exolon

Post by Exolon »

pilaxoft wrote:The problem comes with music tracks, no with sound.
Sorry for beeing unprecise. I'm talking about the music tracks of the CD's, too.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

As far as I can tell, the error message has nothing to do with the CD audio. It's from the part of the code that loads some XMIDI music-related data, and the "fat+ad" part of the message is the name of the file it's looking for.

Which, as I said, confuses me because to me it looks like it should be looking for either fat.ad or fat.mt, depending on if it's looking for AdLib or MT-32 music. (I guess "fat" refers to the composer's nickname, "The Fat Man".)
pilaxoft

Post by pilaxoft »

I don´t know if this problem is this way.
I can play with music in win PC but I can´t in wince.
In addition I can play in wince if I select "no music" in options´ music tab, Any other try leads to fatal error.
pilaxoft

Post by pilaxoft »

O.K. Now all runs O.K. Sound, music, disk, all.
I´ve completed the game wih music.
I must have forget some When I copied files into pc in order to transfer these to my ppc.

I don´t know why that worked fine before in pc and not at all in ppc.

Thx
Mr. E

Post by Mr. E »

Hi,

I'm hoping for a little help here.....
Has anyone ever figured out what that means --and hopefully how to fix it?

Because I get the same exact error message when I try and run the game on my (Intel) iMac using Scumm v1.2.0

I didn't miss copying any files as pilaxoft apparently did. I've triple-checked.

-Thanks! :)

P.S. Don't be too technical. I'm not a programmer...just a dumb gamer. :D
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Mr. E wrote:
Has anyone ever figured out what that means --and hopefully how to fix it?

Because I get the same exact error message when I try and run the game on my (Intel) iMac using Scumm v1.2.0

I didn't miss copying any files as pilaxoft apparently did. I've triple-checked.
As far as I can tell, there's only one place in the "Groovie" engine where it can print a message on the form "Groovie::Music: <something> not found!" [1], and that's in a function that checks if a particular data file is present.

For The 7th Guest, the filename will begin with "fat". (For all other games, none of which are supported yet, it will begin with "sample".) If ScummVM thinks it can play music through a real Roland MT-32, or something close enough, the file name will end with ".mt", otherwise it will end with ".ad". So the most likely file name for it to look for is "fat.ad".

So I'm still as confused as before that it should complain about "fat+ad", and you say you've triple-checked that all files (including fat.ad, I assume) are there. Of course, I could be missing something since I'm not all that familiar with the "Groovie" engine.

[1] There is one where it can print "Groovie::Resource: <something> not found!" but that's not what you were asking about.
Mr. E

Post by Mr. E »

Ok then. Thanks a lot for the reply Erik. :)

I was going to get Parallels + Windows for my Mac soon. Maybe I can get it to work on that.

~Aloha
Mr. E

Post by Mr. E »

Hello again,

I was searching the net and found another (Windows) version of The 7th Guest, but this one ins't even recognized by ScummVM ("... could not find any game...").

Here is what is one the disc image (.img)...

1. INSTALL.BAT

2. Folder ("T7G"):
B.GJD
CH.GJD
D.GJD
DR.GJD
FH.GJD
GA.GJD
GAMWAV.GJD
HTBD.GJD
INTRO.GJD
JHEK.GJD
K.GJD
LA.GJD
LI.GJD
MB.GJD
MC.GJD
MU.GJD
N.GJD
P.GJD

Is there something I can do to get this working?

I actually did try running the installer with Wine, but it didn't do anything.

Thanx very much! :)
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Mr. E wrote: I was searching the net and found another (Windows) version of The 7th Guest, but this one ins't even recognized by ScummVM ("... could not find any game...").
Ignoring the legalities of finding the game on the net, that looks like far too few files to be the complete game. Did the version you (I presume) bought only have that few files as well? My DOS version came on two CDs, and the "fat.ad" file was on the second. (All together, I copied ~70 files from them.)
Mr. E

Post by Mr. E »

I figured if I owned the game it would be legal to download another copy...I guess that's kind of a gray area there. Supposedly, it's abandonware.

And yes. It seemed to me as well to have too few files but I took a look at another topic relating to 7th Guest (for Mac) and it has almost the same exact file list as this .img . . .
AT.GJD
B.GJD
CH.GJD
D.GJD
DR.GJD
FH.GJD
GA.GJD
GAMWAV.GJD
HTBD.GJD
INTRO.GJD
JHEK.GJD
K.GJD
LA.GJD
LI.GJD
MB.GJD
MC.GJD
MU.GJD
N.GJD
P.GJD
T7GData
T7GMac

All the files were copied in OSX directly off the CD.
The only difference being those two files at the bottom (where I have the INSTALL.BAT file instead). That's why I thought this .img would work if I did something to it (other people commented that they had it working on a PC).

--------------------------------------

And no. The original game I have isn't like the .img at all. It has a bunch of those .GJD files, but also has a crap-load of other files. . . some files of all the types on the files list you guys' have posted -- except that fat.ad one.

Yeah, I only got one disc. I must have misplaced the other one I guess. That really sux. I should've kept the orig. box.
jvprat
ScummVM Developer

Post by jvprat »

Mr. E wrote:I figured if I owned the game it would be legal to download another copy...I guess that's kind of a gray area there. Supposedly, it's abandonware.
It's a black area, not gray. Please read the forum rules, rule 0 in particular.
Mr. E wrote:And no. The original game I have isn't like the .img at all. It has a bunch of those .GJD files, but also has a crap-load of other files. . . some files of all the types on the files list you guys' have posted -- except that fat.ad one.

Yeah, I only got one disc. I must have misplaced the other one I guess. That really sux. I should've kept the orig. box.
Let's concentrate on your original copy: Do you know which version it is? (DOS, Win95, Mac, which language, etc...) What's exactly in the disc you have? There are some releases that were modified to fit in just one CD but those are uncommon.