WinCE SVN Build (2 May 2007)

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's PocketPC/HandheldPC port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Adventureguy

Post by Adventureguy »

I tested this new release a bit and I must say: I'm impresed. Everything, even those memory-hungry games like Full Throttle run alot faster on my PDA.

I also tested some AGI games. They un pretty well, it's a bit complicated to type in the words, but so far it's OK. But what about the F6, F8 and F10 buttons you need for some AGI games to finish them? A F3 button would make it easier repeating a phrase instead of typing it all over again with the stylus.

I don't know if this could be possible, but how about keymapping all F1 to F10 buttons in PocketScumm? (Or at least F3, F6, F8 and F10 buttons.) IIRC on an old Pocket Sarien build the F keys were displayed over the keyboard, but the place for PocketScumm's keyboard is already pretty small, so keymapping a few more keys seems easier than trying to implement 10 new function keys to the recent very small keyboard.

Should I send a feature request about this?
knakos
ScummVM Porter

Post by knakos »

1) Can anyone else confirm bub181's problem?

2) Adventureguy: There is a better way to type commands in agi games, and that's predictive input. At the moment, the users have to parse their words.tok files through some perl scripts to create a dictionary which is then used (maybe we can uncomplicate this procedure, in fact I'm looking at this specific thing next, to improve support for smartphones, when I'm done with the few bugs left in sdl). But even in the predictive dialog I can't see any virtual F3,6,8,10 keys. Can you elaborate on which games they're used, what are they for etc?
bub181

Post by bub181 »

1) Can anyone else confirm bub181's problem?
I did a little more investigating, I think the problem is that the 2x scaler isn't doubling the first column of pixels, becasue the first column is there but it's only half as wide as it should be.
Adventureguy

Post by Adventureguy »

knakos wrote: But even in the predictive dialog I can't see any virtual F3,6,8,10 keys. Can you elaborate on which games they're used, what are they for etc?

The F3 key is used in almost every AGI for repeating the last typed in phrase. The other keys F4,F6,F8 and F10 are used e.g. in LSL1 for changing the bet and playing at blackjack and slot machine. Without being able to play those you can't beat the game. And I think in PQ1 you need F6, F8 and F10 to change the car speed. I bet there are many more games needing the F-keys for finishing them.
df
ScummVM Developer

Post by df »

the F* keys and TAB/ESC need some way of being mapped in.

the game scripts directly reference them (load/save, inventory, speed, sound on/off, etc)

they can be different for each game.

also be aware games written for apple ii, mac, amiga etc are programmed to use different keys than dos versions.

generally the dos versions use all f1-f10, esc and tab.

some key commands are mapped via ctrl-

ctrl-j josystick on/off
alt-z exit
ctrl-i inventory (sometimes
ctrl-r rgba monitor toggle
alt-d version debug

these keycodes are directly programmed into the scripts.

** added later **

In PQ1, for example, F4 is start/stop car, F6 drive normal, F8 drive faster, F10 super speedy :)

These actions may or may not be in the game-menu when you get into the car (I dont remember).
Yoc

Post by Yoc »

Ok, first, you have to know that I'm totally new to PPC world but has some skills in computers..
Here is my configuration :
Navigon Transonic TS 7000 T, screen size : 480x272x16. The OEM name is MDPNA460T. OS : Windows CE 5.0.
As you probably imagine, I'm trying to use ScummVM on this. It doesn't work with 0.9.2, that's why I came here. Here is what I've done :
- Hard reset to be sure the windows directory (and its DLL) are clean
- launch scummvm 0.10.0svn : crash, or black screen.
- Install GAPI
- launch scummvm again, choose Route 66 Chicago 6000 480x272x16 device in the list (same OEM product) : scummvm starts, the menus are fine, but the arrow is not scaled to my stylus : the point 0,0 is good, but when I click on the middle of the menu, the arrow is button right.
- rotate the screen to portrait : scummvm starts, but the menu doesn't appear inside the screen. same result if I choose Chicago 6000 272x480x15.
Reilly

Bug

Post by Reilly »

I found a BUG.

MI3: If I want to reactivate the toolbar while I'm in conversation with a character it crashes.
knakos
ScummVM Porter

Post by knakos »

Please use the bug tracker to report this. Include a savegame nearby so I can test it. Thanks.
Yoc

Post by Yoc »

Yoc wrote:Ok, first, you have to know that I'm totally new to PPC world but has some skills in computers..
Here is my configuration :
Navigon Transonic TS 7000 T, screen size : 480x272x16. The OEM name is MDPNA460T. OS : Windows CE 5.0.
As you probably imagine, I'm trying to use ScummVM on this. It doesn't work with 0.9.2, that's why I came here. Here is what I've done :
- Hard reset to be sure the windows directory (and its DLL) are clean
- launch scummvm 0.10.0svn : crash, or black screen.
- Install GAPI
- launch scummvm again, choose Route 66 Chicago 6000 480x272x16 device in the list (same OEM product) : scummvm starts, the menus are fine, but the arrow is not scaled to my stylus : the point 0,0 is good, but when I click on the middle of the menu, the arrow is button right.
- rotate the screen to portrait : scummvm starts, but the menu doesn't appear inside the screen. same result if I choose Chicago 6000 272x480x15.
Update : Today, I launched again Scummvm and it was in fullscreen (perhaps I checked that on the option menu) and everything work !
What is strange is that I can't put it back in window mode again... I checked the scummvm.ini and in the SCUMMVM section FULLSCREEN is set to 0... I became nuts..

Now I have a problem with gobliiins. I tried to map the S key to the SAVE command but It doesn't work (hitting "s" in the scummvm keyboard does nothing). Beside that, sometimes the keyboard react as if I let the stylus clicked. I have to click again to stop the repetition of the key...
I'll try more games later.
knakos
ScummVM Porter

Post by knakos »

I do not think the fullscreen .ini variable is honored in the wince port (could be wrong though). By the looks of it, perhaps you've set landscape=1 or something like that.

Also you cannot bind actions to synthesized keys (from the virtual keyboard).
Yoc

Post by Yoc »

but landscape isn't a variable for SUMMVM section is it ? By the way, I checked I landscape is not defined in any section.

Another possible bug (or again is it because of my specific configuration ?) I can only have one game in the list. If I try to add a second game, it replaces the first one in the list and in the scummvm.ini file. But if I add manualy the game in the ini, I have both games in the GUI.