On screen keyboard problems

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's PocketPC/HandheldPC port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

robinwatts
ScummVM Developer

On screen keyboard problems

Post by robinwatts »

Hi,

I'm using an MDA Vario II - that's a 240x320 native portrait device.

When playing "The Secret of Monkey Island" (and possibly other games - haven't checked), if I click on the right hand side of the "inverse landscape" screen, I can see the onscreen keyboard pop up.

I suspect that the keyboard toolbar isn't being suppressed.

Quick tests suggest that this isn't restricted to inverse landscape mode - the same thing happens in portrait and landscape too. (Though for portrait mode it's clearly not such a problem, as it's off the bottom of the game screen).

Is this a known bug on other devices, or something specific to mine? (Windows Mobile 5 maybe)? Is there anything I can do about it?

Thanks,

Robin
knakos
ScummVM Porter

Post by knakos »

Yes it is known Robin, it has been here for a few years, it originates from that hide taskbar trickery and it has been fixed in the unreleased sdl. Hold your horses :-)
robinwatts
ScummVM Developer

Post by robinwatts »

[quote="knakos"]Yes it is known Robin, it has been here for a few years, it originates from that hide taskbar trickery and it has been fixed in the unreleased sdl. Hold your horses :-)[/quote]

Brilliant! Thanks.
knakos
ScummVM Porter

Post by knakos »

btw, in the meantime a known workaround exists: http://forums.scummvm.org/viewtopic.php?t=2777
robinwatts
ScummVM Developer

Post by robinwatts »

I can't make the workaround work...

If I run the game from a shortcut it the 'pop up keyboard' icon is still lurking there. No amount of jiggling the 'hide' button (to make the PocketScumm bar pop up and down etc) can make it go away.

Just to be clear, I'm talking about the WinCE on screen keyboard thing, not the scummvm keyboard thing.

Don't panic about this - if it's fixed in the next release then I'll bide my time and wait for it - but I thought I should mention that the workaround doesn't seem to work for me.

Thanks,

Robin
knakos
ScummVM Porter

Post by knakos »

The workaround is thus: Make a shortcut to scummvm so you can run it directly from the start menu and there is no need to run it from explorer. Close all windows to return to the "desktop" (today screen - note the keyboard icon does not show up). Finally run scummvm from the start menu.
robinwatts
ScummVM Developer

Post by robinwatts »

And that works perfectly. Many thanks again!

Robin