Pocketpc and scummvm breaking pda

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's PocketPC/HandheldPC port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

StarFish
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat Aug 19, 2006 4:46 pm
Location: Austria
Contact:

Post by StarFish »

NLS wrote:I heard that Atlantis sunk when SCUMMVM 0.1 was released.
And later, Lucasarts developed "Indy4: The Fate of Atlantis" (which can be played since ScummVM 0.2 onwards)

NLS
Posts: 124
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2006 4:43 pm
Location: Greece
Contact:

Post by NLS »

just to throw dust in our eyes

User avatar
Herrscher
Posts: 110
Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2005 5:17 pm

Post by Herrscher »

To obey Godwin's Law, I want to be the first one who states: ScummVM == Hitler !! :twisted: :wink:

maxim
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:55 pm

Post by maxim »

for the last freaking time! I was just pointing out the simple fact that since the time when I had scummVM running 'The dig' I got through 5 motherboard replacements, and 1 on board battery. and this was during the time I started playing the Dig and the time I finished playing the dig..

So then I thought I would remove scumm VM and use it on my PC instead. And since I removed Scumm VM , I have had no problems with my pocket pc.

in someways it was great, as every time I sent my IPAQ back , my warranty was re-issued for an extra year.

But then everybody gets all upset ... um why??


Now people can take what I have said how ever they like I couldn't give a monkeys! I just wanted to point out what happened in my situation. And I'm sure Scumm VM had "Nothing" to do with it as you have all made that very clear to me.

and thanks for all your nasty comments at me, was great to read through them, very interesting.

NLS
Posts: 124
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2006 4:43 pm
Location: Greece
Contact:

Post by NLS »

maxim wrote:for the last freaking time!
Erm... or else?
maxim wrote:But then everybody gets all upset ... um why??
Who got upset?
maxim wrote:Now people can take what I have said how ever they like I couldn't give a monkeys!
Us neither, but doesn't show for you - your reaction doesn't follow what you say here.
maxim wrote:And I'm sure Scumm VM had "Nothing" to do with it as you have all made that very clear to me.
So? Elaborate on your thoughts. So why did you post? To talk about ghosts?
maxim wrote:and thanks for all your nasty comments at me, was great to read through them, very interesting.
They were not at YOU, they were at your post (common misunderstanding in the Net).
Last edited by NLS on Sun Apr 22, 2007 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Herrscher
Posts: 110
Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2005 5:17 pm

Post by Herrscher »

Hey! Calm down!!

You should NOT take the jokes seriously and/or personally! :idea:

maxim wrote:But then everybody gets all upset ... um why??
I don't think, that ANYBODY here got upset (except you of course ;)).


And we don't say we don't believe you (in having 5 mobos trashed), or that we've got feelings of schadenfreude towards you.

It is just that you implicitly stated that ScummVM trashed your mobo.
As any software engineer knows, there are only a few rare chances on how to _destroy_ hardware by executing software. Of course software could delete important files, render your PDA unusable until resetting the filesystem, or could produce a "bluescreen" in Windows, so you cannot boot your box anymore. But really trashing your motherboard, graphics card or something like this, is a completely different thing!!


Of course it _could_ be, that because the rendering stuff in games is done via an endless loop (other as the usual apps like Word which calculate/render on clicks etc. only), the motherboard "broke" because of over-utilisation.
On the 1st look this seems ScummVM's fault then.
But when you think about it, the fault is poor hardware architecture (so that the system overheats).


maxim wrote:in someways it was great, as every time I sent my IPAQ back , my warranty was re-issued for an extra year.
Just do it again. That gives another year. ;)

NLS
Posts: 124
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2006 4:43 pm
Location: Greece
Contact:

Post by NLS »

I'd say just don't spend your money on Pocket HP cr*p ever again.

I learnt that the hard way, years ago (then just laughed at the rest you think "it is HP so it must be great).

User avatar
knakos
ScummVM Porter
Posts: 424
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2005 2:35 pm
Location: Athens, Greece

Post by knakos »

OK maxim, point taken. There's no way we can damage your hardware with scummvm. You should view the rest of these comments not as a flame and personal insults (I hope the scummvm community is more mature than that), but more as an amplification of a joke.

TheSpillmonkey
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:36 pm

Post by TheSpillmonkey »

I just finished playing some sam and max on my phone and now i have kidney stones.
Last edited by TheSpillmonkey on Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NLS
Posts: 124
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2006 4:43 pm
Location: Greece
Contact:

Post by NLS »

Goddamit Spillmonkey! REMOVE AT ONCE or you risk heart attack!

TheSpillmonkey
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:36 pm

Post by TheSpillmonkey »

You should bundle ScummVM with LifeAlert!

fingolfin
Retired
Posts: 1466
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2005 4:12 pm

Post by fingolfin »

Hi maxim, indeed, please do not feel insulted by this thread. Most of the posts here are really just plain humor, not directed towards you (at least I do not interpret them that way). There are a few exceptions, though. But I hope everybody will keep civil from now on (but feel free to keep the good humor rolling ;-)

TheSpillmonkey
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:36 pm

Post by TheSpillmonkey »

Image

User avatar
sev
ScummVM Lead
Posts: 2044
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2005 1:06 pm
Contact:

Post by sev »

Enough, guys. Computer illiteracy is not a reason for mocking. Maxim, this is plainly impossible, and even if it was, we have tens of thousands of PDA users, nobody ever had his device broken because of ScummVM.

Moreover, PDA-specific parts of ScummVM take less than a 0.1% of its code, so it would blew every system it runs on, and we have routinely 100,000 downloads per month.

I recommend you to show your PDA to a different dealer.


Eugene

Locked