ScummVM on Smartphone (QTek 8310)

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's PocketPC/HandheldPC port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

raynak

Post by raynak »

knakos, if you sort this out you'll be my hero :)
Pa9an

Post by Pa9an »

raynak wrote:knakos, if you sort this out you'll be my hero :)
...and mine too! :D
knakos
ScummVM Porter

Post by knakos »

:oops:

Hi guys. Seeing that there's much interest in a patch for this issue, I give you an update:

Getting scummvm to detect properly smartphones w/ QVGA res was relatively easy. BUT, it turns out that the SDL port by Arisme (at least the pre-built one I'm using) get confused and acts weird. The net effect is that I've a version which work OK with this particular smartphone type but messes up the graphics. So if you hold on for a little longer, I need to patch the SDL library and we'll be fine.

So, let's say it'll be ready this weekend (if nothing else goes severely wrong!).

Best,
Kostas
Pa9an

Post by Pa9an »

knakos wrote::oops:

Hi guys. Seeing that there's much interest in a patch for this issue, I give you an update:

Getting scummvm to detect properly smartphones w/ QVGA res was relatively easy. BUT, it turns out that the SDL port by Arisme (at least the pre-built one I'm using) get confused and acts weird. The net effect is that I've a version which work OK with this particular smartphone type but messes up the graphics. So if you hold on for a little longer, I need to patch the SDL library and we'll be fine.

So, let's say it'll be ready this weekend (if nothing else goes severely wrong!).

Best,
Kostas
Well, that's still good news...having in mind this port is around now for several months and noone felt like fixing it.

Would it by the way make sense to work with Arisme to get this fix into the 'official' port?

Thanks very much for all your effort!!!
danieljackson

Detecting Platform Type

Post by danieljackson »

If you want to detect the platform type, I'd recommend using:

SystemParametersInfo(SPI_GETPLATFORMTYPE, ...);

An override in the INI file would be good, but it'd still be great if it just auto-detected it.

The function should return one of the following strings:
  • "HPC" = Handheld PC
    "HPC Pro" = Handheld PC 3.0
    "Palm PC" = Palm-size PC 1/2 and Pocket PC/Pocket PC 2000
    "PocketPC" = Pocket PC 2002/2003
    "SmartPhone" = Smartphone
I think all but "SmartPhone" have touch-screen support.
knakos
ScummVM Porter

Post by knakos »

Hi Daniel,

The device gets recognized OK, but the low level screen blitting though SDL fails. Unfortunately, in a way, Microsoft has done a bad job in providing user access to low level drivers. For example the function you mention fails on older smartphones and IIRC on older pocket pcs as well (<2002).

In order to access the screen mem directly normally you'd use GAPI. But in newer devices (>=2003) you're dropped on an emulation layer prohibiting the use of the extended resulotions. Getting the device caps thru GAPI on a 2003 QVGA smartphone, reports 176x220 resolution. But using getsystemmetcrics it reports correctly 240x320. So then you try out the "undocumented" extescape call to get the framebuffer and drop GAPI altogheter (arisme calls this "ozone" mode). So that's where we are. The SDL port mistakes the framebuffer for a pocket pc device and doesn't use the ozone workaround for QVGA smartphones.

K.
raynak

Post by raynak »

So this means we're out of luck? :(
splinter98

Post by splinter98 »

I wouldn't think so it justs needs either another better method of dectecting the resolution or an overide function in the .ini and once thats done we can all enjoy SCUMM games on our nice and cool qvga phones :D
knakos
ScummVM Porter

Post by knakos »

Hey guys,

The good news is that I've patched the sdl library to work correctly with qvga smartphones. Also, the code in scummvm which recognizes qvga smartphones is in place. The only thing left is to have scummvm use landscape mode. I'll do it today or tommorow night. Please, stand by the binary is on the way!

K.
Pa9an

Post by Pa9an »

knakos wrote:Hey guys,

The good news is that I've patched the sdl library to work correctly with qvga smartphones. Also, the code in scummvm which recognizes qvga smartphones is in place. The only thing left is to have scummvm use landscape mode. I'll do it today or tommorow night. Please, stand by the binary is on the way!

K.
Hey, SEHR gute News!!! *freu*

Das Landscape einstellen, ging das nicht schon von vornherein in der ini, mit Landscape=yes oder so in der ScummVM section? In irgend nem Thread hier stand das glaub ich auch...
Oder hat sich durch das Patchen u die neuen Routinen hier was geaendert?
knakos
ScummVM Porter

Post by knakos »

Pa9an wrote:Hey, SEHR gute News!!! *freu*
****etc.etc.***
Hmmm, well that all greek to me :)
But anyway, I think I get what you mean. It would work but the menu would still be in portrait and the key-mouse the wrong way round. But I've fixed it anyway (mit patchen!). Go for it.

Hope it works,
Kostas
Geordish

Post by Geordish »

Excellent, it works splendidly.

Thanks a lot

--
Dave
Pa9an

Post by Pa9an »

knakos wrote:
Pa9an wrote:Hey, SEHR gute News!!! *freu*
****etc.etc.***
Hmmm, well that all greek to me :)
But anyway, I think I get what you mean. It would work but the menu would still be in portrait and the key-mouse the wrong way round. But I've fixed it anyway (mit patchen!). Go for it.

Hope it works,
Kostas
Ooops, completely forgot that was (is) an english forum...well, probably because I've been too overwhelmed about that great news 8)
I'm going to test that version tonight - will let you know tomorrow!
raynak

Post by raynak »

It works wonderfully on my Qtek 8310 (using WM5)!

Thanks man, you totally rock! :D
loris

No luck

Post by loris »

I still have no luck with this new version. The program starts and it´s in landscape mode now but I cannot move the cursor. Any thoughts on this?