Windows Mobile 5.0 for Smartphones

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's PocketPC/HandheldPC port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Jameselaprendi

Post by Jameselaprendi »

Im really sorry if this has been covered, as im guessing it probably has, but i cant find a thread that seems to cover it.

I am about to get a Windows Mobile phone. Ive narrowed the choice down to two, and the deciding factor appears to be the different version of operating system they're running. It means a lot to me if it can run SCUMMVM, and overall a wide variety of availble software and emulators.

The two phones run the following:

Windows Mobile 5.0 for Pocket PC Phone Edition

My research makes me think the Smartphone version is the 'poorer' one. Id like to know what sort of functionability ScummVM has on each of these OS.

Thanks

EDIT: Ive noticed that the OS Kernel is identical (Windows CE 5.1.195 ) for both, though im not sure on what that means. Im also aware of the importance of the architecture of the equipment (as ive just started a computer science degree) but im not sure what matters in this case. Here's the Processor details of the two phones:

WM 5.0 Smartphone
CPU: 32bit Texas Instruments OMAP 850
CPU Clock: 195MHz
CPU Core: ARM926EJ-S
Level 1 cache: 8KB D-Cache / 16KB I-Cache
Level 2 cache: No level 2 cache
Instruction set: ARM v5

WM 5.0 Pocket PC Phone Ed.
CPU: 32bit Samsung S3C2442
CPU Clock: 400MHz
CPU Core: ARM920T
Level 1 cache: 16KB D-Cache / 16KB I-Cache
Level 2 cache: No level 2 cache
Instruction set: ARM v4
knakos
ScummVM Porter

Post by knakos »

For scummvm the OS doesn't matter that much (provided it's post 2002). CPU speed does matter, of course, along with speed of access to the storage, and a major prerequisite is the device resolution. f.ex. 320x240 "landscape" phones currently do not work with scummvm, but they will in the near future.

PS. AFAIK, I think there is no difference between the two OS names you mention, it may be that some reviewer/spec writer used a different name. The OS version also testifies to that. But I may be totally wrong here. Luckily the ever active and informed wince-scummvm community can show us the light :D
Jameselaprendi

Post by Jameselaprendi »

I see.

Im pretty sure WM 5.0 pocket pc phone ed. and WM 5.0 for smartpones are different in some ways, but im finding it very hard to figure out how they're different and how that'll affect the type of emulators and the like that are available.

The smartphone one is indeed 320 x 240, the other being 240 x 320, but it sounds promising. I notice that Broken Sword requires only 133 mhz on a PC but i have a symbian phone with a higher clock speed but Broken Sword is a non-starter. Is it different with Windows smartphones? I realise that clock speed is only relevant to.. bus width is it? (must revise) What is the measurment of speed of access to the storage?

Overall though, is there a lot of software and games available for a Windows smartphone? (Off topic im sorry)
Morganoure

Post by Morganoure »

Imho PocketPCs usually have a touchscreen, while Smartphones have not. Next to the hardware, the Welcome page etc. are different, so there's a different on the OS level as well for sure. Playing ScummVM without a touchscreen could get quite difficult ;)

Btw: Microsoft FAQ: What’s the difference between a Pocket PC and a Smartphone?
knakos
ScummVM Porter

Post by knakos »

Jameselaprendi wrote:Im pretty sure WM 5.0 pocket pc phone ed. and WM 5.0 for smartpones are different in some ways, but im finding it very hard to figure out how they're different and how that'll affect the type of emulators and the like that are available.
Regarding Pocketscumm there's no problem whatsoever with both of them.
Jameselaprendi wrote:The smartphone one is indeed 320 x 240, the other being 240 x 320, but it sounds promising.
As I said currently landscape QVGA is not supported but it's on the todo list.
Jameselaprendi wrote:I notice that Broken Sword requires only 133 mhz on a PC but i have a symbian phone with a higher clock speed but Broken Sword is a non-starter.
Bsword1&2 currently have an issue with the amount of ram required to run (e.g. lots). I'll have an exact figure on this or a fix (if it's possible) in the near future.
Jameselaprendi wrote:I realise that clock speed is only relevant to.. bus width is it? (must revise)
It's generally a complicated thing, but higher MHz higher performance.
Jameselaprendi wrote:What is the measurment of speed of access to the storage?
Since you'll store the games at external flash memory, the speed of access affects e.g. the video playback. Speed tests for this I'm not sure if they're available, but the type of flash ram supported is an indication.
Jameselaprendi wrote:Overall though, is there a lot of software and games available for a Windows smartphone? (Off topic im sorry)
Most earlier ce software runs ok on WM5. That weird landscape resolution confuses some of it though.
Jameselaprendi

Post by Jameselaprendi »

Very helpful.

BSword needed 16mb RAM on a PC and the phones have 64Mb Sdram but again, i figure there are other issues. I believe the type of memory card used with this phone is MiniSD transflash.

Ive gone for the smartphone, HTC Monet, aka Lobster 700TV. Couldnt resist the DAB TV and Radio tuner (Standard DAB Radio with BBC1, ITV, C4 and E4 broadcast through the DAB network - i.e. excellent quality and no data charges). When i found out it was a fully kitted out Windows Smartphone as well i was delighted!

The touchscreen issue... is it true touchscreen is essential for ScummVM? I have now noticed other people with phones that have WM 5.0 for smartphone are using scummvm (without touchscreen)? (Qtek 8310) Infact, the Qtek 8310 is very very similar to specs of this phone.
Jameselaprendi

Post by Jameselaprendi »

Beginning to get very confused. Went to look at Opera, which has seperate versions for WM 5.0 (pocket PC) and WM Smartphones (quotes 2003 version).

Is Windows Mobile 5.0 for Smartphones in the middle, or is it perhaps a convergence? :? I can see a lot of experimenting coming up.
Morganoure

Post by Morganoure »

5.0 comes after 2003, so you should be ablwe to use the WM 5 version also on WM 5 smartphones. 2003 Smartphone was version 4.2.something I think, which was special in that it needed not only different installation cab files, but also different executables.