Broken Sword II - Assertion Failed

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's PocketPC/HandheldPC port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

MM2forever

Broken Sword II - Assertion Failed

Post by MM2forever »

Hello community,

Im running the ScummVm version 1.3.1 (latest at this time) on both my Desktop and Pocket PC (HTC HD 2).

Recently I got Broken Sword 2 (German Version) and succesfully runned it on my Desktop using the DXA cutscene pack with OGG addon.
Then i copied it to my PDA and tried to run it there... the cutscenes work but when it should start "gaming" it gives me a crash popup saying:
Assertion failed: ptr,at ../engines/

Failed assertion
I cant read more of it because the message window isn't that big...

Can anyone please help me? Im going on a vacation and want to play broken sword II on the go...

I runned Broken Sword I already succesfully on the PDA, hope it will work with II in some time...
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Re: Broken Sword II - Assertion Failed

Post by eriktorbjorn »

MM2forever wrote: I cant read more of it because the message window isn't that big...
That unfortunately cuts out the part where it says where the error happens. However, I can only find one assertion that would produce the first half of the message. If that assertion is triggered it has just tried, and failed, to allocate a chunk of memory.

The most obvious reason for that would be that there isn't enough memory available. (Alternatively, a data file could be corrupted in such a way that it gets the wrong size for the block it's about to allocate.)
MM2forever

Post by MM2forever »

Thanks for the reply,

I can still post what scummvm_stderr.txt and scummvm_stdout.txt say:

scummvm_stderr.txt:

SDL: Version $Rev$ bootstrapping GAPI device
SDL: Device is portrait, OS version 5.2 build 21913
SDL: orientation 0
SDL: GAPI_RealizePalette NOT IMPLEMENTED
SDL: Starting video access detection --->
SDL: System 480x800
SDL: Checking for GAPI
SDL: GAPI OK, 240x320, H=2 V=480, 16bpp, landscape false
SDL: Trying Ozone
SDL: Running on Ozone
SDL: Ozone 480x800
SDL: <----- Detection finished. Running on Ozone driver at 480x800 (real 480, 800), using ARM accelerated blitter
SDL: Opening mode 640x480
SDL: Requested portrait mode
SDL: Setting landscape mode
SDL: GAPI_WinPAINT NOT IMPLEMENTED
SDL: Opening mode 640x480
SDL: Requested portrait mode
SDL: Setting landscape mode
SDL: GAPI_WinPAINT NOT IMPLEMENTED

scummvm_stdout.txt:

Remote APIs client DLL attached
User picked target 'sword2' (gameid 'sword2')...
Looking for a plugin supporting this gameid... Broken Sword II
Starting 'Broken Sword II: The Smoking Mirror'
Remote APIs client DLL detached

I also tried to copy the game files again to the PDA, no sucess... :(
Any other solution?
Is there a way to log the truncated message popup into txt file?

edit:// I got Grafic Mode set to 2x... If i turn that off (back to standart/default) i can see the spider crawling to me ("gaming" works) but when the game gives me control (after the spider is at the chair), the "assertion failed" message pops up again...

Maybe this helps a little in searching the error....
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

MM2forever wrote: edit:// I got Grafic Mode set to 2x... If i turn that off (back to standart/default) i can see the spider crawling to me ("gaming" works) but when the game gives me control (after the spider is at the chair), the "assertion failed" message pops up again...
Unscaled graphics should use less memory than scaled, since the size of an unscaled graphical surface would be only a quarter the size of a scaled one. If changing that makes it run a bit longer that would again suggest to me that it's running out of memory, but I don't know if that makes any sense. I was under the impression that while Broken Sword II needs a fair bit of memory, it shouldn't need that much.

Then again, I've never tried running ScummVM on a smartphone. I prefer my phones to be pretty dumb.
MM2forever

Post by MM2forever »

eriktorbjorn wrote: If changing that makes it run a bit longer that would again suggest to me that it's running out of memory
I got the solution:

I always runned ScummVM on the PDA using ScummVM.exe (with all engines support)

Now i runned it using the ScummVM3.exe (the one with support for sword2 and some others only)...

...It works perfectly now :) :) - Very happy!

So it seemed to be lack of memory as you pointed out...