Version 1.0.0 ?

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Palm port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

faccio-io

Version 1.0.0 ?

Post by faccio-io »

Have you news about new release of scumm for palmOs 5.x?
Thanks for yourhelp
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

No news, sorry. In fact our PalmOS porter seems to have had no time to work on a new version for the past couple releases. The PalmOS port seems to be very much out of date, too. So unless Chrilith suddenly finds himself with a lot of spare time and interest, or some other interested and capabel dev appears and helps out, your chances are slim to ever see another PalmOS version of ScummVM :-/.
Chrilith
ScummVM Porter

Post by Chrilith »

Hi there,

Yes, in fact time is missing to work on ScummVM.

But with news PalmOS devices coming this year :shock: I'll try to find time to update the port.

Chris
aberrant

Post by aberrant »

Chrilith,

Is this still going to happen? I'd love to see an updated and stable version for Palm OS so I can run BASS on my Zodiac. Hope it's still being considered!

-aberrant
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

Very unlikely to happen from my perspective. The PalmOS port is severely outdated, so Chrilith would have to put in a major effort to get it working again; considering how little spare time he has, I wouldn't count on it.

I am surprised that Chrilith mentions new PalmOS devices this year, this is news to me, I thought PalmOS was completely dead when it comes to new devices? Palm switch to the new WebOS itself.
Chrilith
ScummVM Porter

Post by Chrilith »

Well PalmOS isn't part anymore of Palm for awhile now. Many years ago an anti-trust action forced Palm to split into two distinct entities: PalmOne and PalmSource. Then PalmSource was bought by Access.

So, PalmOS is now owned by Access and licensed to hardware makers. In fact it is weird to see mew PalmOS devices these days :)
aberrant

Post by aberrant »

If no new PalmOS port, how about a webOS port?
robinwatts
ScummVM Developer

Post by robinwatts »

aberrant wrote:If no new PalmOS port, how about a webOS port?
Go for it!

Robin
macmikey

Post by macmikey »

Chrilith wrote:Well PalmOS isn't part anymore of Palm for awhile now...So, PalmOS is now owned by Access and licensed to hardware makers. In fact it is weird to see mew PalmOS devices these days :)
This information is not quite correct. From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palm,_Inc.:
Wikipedia wrote:"In December 2006, Palm, Inc. paid US$44 million to ACCESS for the rights to the source code for Palm OS Garnet. With this arrangement, a single company is again developing Palm hardware and software."
Apparently, Palm is back in the driver's seat with Palm OS developing, but has chosen to go nowhere with it (see same article). It's all webOS now, for whatever that's worth. Plus, now Palm itself is an HP brand. So either the Jornada goes (if it hasn't already, I never paid attention to Windows CE news), or the Pre & family goes.

Still, Chrilith, feel free to maintain that Palm OS work.:wink: There are a number of us out here who are quite happy with Garnet (especially those of us who can't afford iPhones and the AT&T service plans that accompany them).
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

The PalmOS port has been officially declared dead and will soon be removed from ScummVM.

See http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.games.devel.scummvm/7658
audiodane

Post by audiodane »

fingolfin wrote:The PalmOS port has been officially declared dead and will soon be removed from ScummVM.

See http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.games.devel.scummvm/7658
I can't say I'm not disappointed in this development, but I can't say I don't understand it either. It's a bummer for sure. I just recently (read: in the last two weeks) came across SCUMMVM for the first time and was hoping to get some old games running on my Sony Clie.

Maybe someone will come back sometime and revive this port...

cheers,
..dane