Palm version locks up

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Palm port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

kamamura

Palm version locks up

Post by kamamura »

I have the latest build for PalmOS, the arm version.

After playing for some time, the game locks up. The music keeps playing, I can resize to widescreen and back, but the game is frozen and no other actions are possible, reset is necessary.

I use Tungsten T5 with the latest OS5.
sev
ScummVM Lead

Re: Palm version locks up

Post by sev »

kamamura wrote:After playing for some time, the game locks up.
Which game?

Besides there is PalmOS-specific forum. I'm moving your message there.

Eugene
kamamura

Post by kamamura »

It's not game related, it happened to me in Loom, Monkey Island 1 and 2.

It's not a total freeze, the music still plays, it's possible to resize the window from wide and back, it's even possible to display a list of apps through the "home" icon, but it's impossible to switch apps, it's impossible to invoke the F5 menu, the animation is frozen.

The only remedy of the situation is soft reset of the device.
Chaostar

Post by Chaostar »

Well kamamura, it happened to me also today while playing Monkey 2, in my Tungsten C. Music keeps playing but the rest is frozen.

In Indy and the Fate of Atlantis, usually in scene changes where you get to see a close-up of something (such as a newspaper part, or an artifact) sometimes the thing just locks up completely, the screen shows crazy colored spots which progresively turn white and there it remains completely frozen until you soft-reset. No music playing here, it locks up completely.

Martin
kamamura

Post by kamamura »

So I have just upgraded to the build from 31-Dec-2005 (previous was 13-Dec-2005 or so), I will let you know if the problem vanishes or persists.
kamamura

Post by kamamura »

So the problem prevails even with the newest version.
Chrilith
ScummVM Porter

Post by Chrilith »

well this is strange.

If you are using the ScummVM launcher (black and green)
can you try to put these lines in the scummvm.ini for the game you want to play :

FM_high_quality=true
FM_medium_quality=false

or if you're using the frontend, in Music & Sound, set Quality to High.
This only affect adlib driver.
kamamura

Post by kamamura »

I have the config options you provided, I checked the ini file.

Also, the problem persists even when playing with sound disabled altogether. Perhaps a problem with the autosave function?
Chrilith
ScummVM Porter

Post by Chrilith »

well yes, what the cache config of the card in the memory card panel ?
I you have 4 (which is the default) you may set it to an higher value depending of you rcard speed, else the save time can be very long.
kamamura

Post by kamamura »

Well, I tried to change the cache size parameter you spoke about, from 4 to 32 (and all values in between), and higher values seem to make the crash less frequent, but do not eliminate it altogether.
kamamura

Post by kamamura »

Chaostar wrote:Well kamamura, it happened to me also today while playing Monkey 2, in my Tungsten C. Music keeps playing but the rest is frozen.

In Indy and the Fate of Atlantis, usually in scene changes where you get to see a close-up of something (such as a newspaper part, or an artifact) sometimes the thing just locks up completely, the screen shows crazy colored spots which progresively turn white and there it remains completely frozen until you soft-reset. No music playing here, it locks up completely.

Martin
Upgraded to build from 13-1-2006 yesterday and it immediately introduced the above mentioned bug form me. I was playing Sam and Max, and upon entering the map, the game locks up, the colors go bright with becoming slowly, gradually brighter and brighter, with total lockup. No action possible but reset.
kamamura

Post by kamamura »

So this 13-Jan build is broken for me, the new, above-mentioned error occurs very often, reverting to the previous version until it's fixed.
kamamura

Post by kamamura »

In a desperate attempt, I cleaned up some memory on both the device and the internal memory card, but the crash still occurs.
kamamura

Post by kamamura »

The problem still persists even in the latest version