Treo680 issues

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Palm port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Reignfire

Treo680 issues

Post by Reignfire »

Hi all,
After reading through the very useful FAQ, I've ran into a problem or two that I'm hoping someone has an answer for.

OK, first up is the talkie version of Monkey Island 1. The game runs just fine as long as I add and run the game via direct mode and not the frontend (ScummVM exits if I do it that way), but I only hear the music and do not hear any speech. I know there is nothing wrong with the .ogg files as they are the same ones I use on my PC. Is this just a quirk of the PalmOS port or my Treo680 not supporting something? I haven't tried converting the .ogg files to mp3 yet, might give that a shot tomorrow if I get the chance.

Also, I tried the Amiga versions of Monkey Island 1+2 on a whim and they run well, but unfortunately I don't get any sound with them. Has anyone else had success with this? It'd be nice if it worked as the Amiga versions had better music IMHO :)

Any ideas/information greatly appreciated.
thatgui

Post by thatgui »

Support on Treo 680 for Monkey 1+2 seems OK. Sure you set the path right in the Palm launcher ?
Reignfire

Post by Reignfire »

thatgui wrote:Support on Treo 680 for Monkey 1+2 seems OK. Sure you set the path right in the Palm launcher ?
Yep. I can play them just fine as long as I ignore the frontend, I just don't get any speech in the PC version of MI1 and no sound at all in either Amiga version. It could just be a lack of support, in which case fair enough, I'm just curious if anyone else has had success with it.
thatgui

Post by thatgui »

Sorry, my mistake. I meant , did you set the path right in the launcher config (only reffering to your "frontend does not work problem")?. It was a bit tricky (at least for me) - best to try both absolute ad relative path.Can't help you with your sound though.
Reignfire

Post by Reignfire »

thatgui wrote:Sorry, my mistake. I meant , did you set the path right in the launcher config (only reffering to your "frontend does not work problem")?. It was a bit tricky (at least for me) - best to try both absolute ad relative path.Can't help you with your sound though.
Yeah, I tried it both ways and all it did was crash ScummVM regardless of path or sound settings.
thatgui

Re: Treo680 issues

Post by thatgui »

Reignfire wrote: The game runs just fine as long as I add and run the game via direct mode and not the frontend (ScummVM exits if I do it that way)
Sorry, I thought this meant a clean exit back to the launcher - IMHO the usual behavior if something is wrong with the path setting. Did you install it on a clean system ? Sometimes ScummVM seems to behave a little odd with a special "no one knows anything further" installed apps combination.
Several posts state problems with some games on a treo 680, but none concerns a frontend problem.

Sorry
Reignfire

Re: Treo680 issues

Post by Reignfire »

thatgui wrote:
Sorry, I thought this meant a clean exit back to the launcher - IMHO the usual behavior if something is wrong with the path setting. Did you install it on a clean system ? Sometimes ScummVM seems to behave a little odd with a special "no one knows anything further" installed apps combination.
Several posts state problems with some games on a treo 680, but none concerns a frontend problem.

Sorry
Yep, clean system. Work issued me the phone a few weeks ago and all I've installed is Google Maps and a Livejournal client.
thatgui

Post by thatgui »

This won't help you, but at least it shows, that it seems to be a treo (680) issue:

It was quite a task to transfer my old monkey 2 disks to a PC (fortunately my father in law still had his old a500). Sound works on Zodiac (with a Bug: the last tune of a sound is uninterruptedly played till the next sound starts).
Reignfire

Post by Reignfire »

thatgui wrote:This won't help you, but at least it shows, that it seems to be a treo (680) issue:

It was quite a task to transfer my old monkey 2 disks to a PC (fortunately my father in law still had his old a500). Sound works on Zodiac (with a Bug: the last tune of a sound is uninterruptedly played till the next sound starts).
I figured as much. Work is talking about upgrading our phones soon, so maybe I'll wind up with a device that has better support :)