slowness in landscape mode

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Palm port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

selmi

slowness in landscape mode

Post by selmi »

i have Tungsten T5, i play game 'days of tentacle'. scummvm is 0.11.1. i experimented with hires+ and i found this:

in normal mode 320x320 everything works correctly

in portrait mode 320x480 everything works, until i press home button. then game goes fullscreen and since then it doesn't react on home button again. i didn't find good way how to even escape game then

in landspace mode 320x320 works, but sound is worse as if device would be much slower and there is no time for adlib emulation or whateverit is. maybe this could be optimized somehow?

in widescreen mode 480x320 sound is so bad that its impossible to have it on, game runs visibly slower. but there is no problem with home button which i described for portrait mode, now it works as it should and its switching between 320x320 and 480x320 as needed

of course the best way to play games would be to use landscape mode 480x320, where game fills all screen and looks really nice. so could be something done about this slowness?

from my palmos programming experience i know that landscapemode is much slower then ordinary, because its not hw mode but palmos internally does conversion.... but i hope you will be able to find some way how to make it better
16bitMonkey

Post by 16bitMonkey »

Uh, I can't even get it into landscape mode. I'm using a Palm T|X and playing Sam n' Max and Indy 4 Fate of Atlantis. Also is there any way to get the F5 menu to show up?
selmi

Post by selmi »

in applauncher switch device to landscape mode and while in game press 1st hard button to make screen wide.
16bitMonkey

Post by 16bitMonkey »

Yeah it lags for me too. I think you may have to use the Universal Dynamic Memory Hack as our PDAS have alot of dynamic memory but Palm only allocated about 5 mb of it. Although I would be extremely disappointed if this were the case and I wish there was a way to get a lag free widescreen mode.