white flashing when start on centro (correct card selected)

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Palm port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

drongo

white flashing when start on centro (correct card selected)

Post by drongo »

Hi, I have problems getting a game in ScummVM to run on my PalmCentro (OS5). I tried two games, but when I start them it is importing databases and than the screen just flashes white a few seconds and brings me back to my programm-view.

I installed the frontend and the skin to my palm and copyed the other stuff to /PALM/Programs/ScummVM/ and my two games (Maniac Mansion and Indy3) to the games-folder. The programm itself starts. I select my card with the little icon and add a game. I am using the path indy3 for indy3, because its in the default games-folder (also tried the long version). The engine is scumm and the system DOS/PC.
Then the id: in the list its just "indy3" and "maniac". But when I start the same game in my PC-Version of Scumm-VM it is: "indy3-vga-de" (german vga-version) and "maniac-v2-de" (from german DOTT). Tried both on both games, doesn't work.
Then I tried some options: OS5 advanced mode, larger stack (whats that?), but no change... any ideas?

edit: when I do this deselecting of a game and starting with the scumm engine it works. There I see the Path for my indy-game is not .../indy3, but /INDY3. Is that the difference? Well, I changed it in the skined scummvm (because the no-skin-version is extrem loud and doesn't change the volume) and now I don't come back to my home-folder when I start the game, but my Palm is restarting over and over again - until I press the home-button many times!! Strange...

edit2: now I do not even come to the no-skin-scummvm, it just restarts my palm when I start only the scumm-engine...
thatgui

Post by thatgui »

try deleting the scummvm configuration on your card (scummvm.ini in /palm/programs/scummvm. This could avoid the restarting problem. You could also take a look in the log file (same folder)
The "white flash error" usually indicates that your path isn't correctly set.

hope that helps (at least a little)
drongo

Post by drongo »

no, deleting the ini didn't change anything. and in the log file is just written down that scumm is using this ini-file.

I was thinking that it might have to do with my memory. I am new to smartphones. I have some programs installed and very often I ask myself why the programs can't be closed. Very often there is no quit-button, you just go to another program or the telephone to leave a programm. They seem to be still open in the background. Maybe its just to much for the system to take the big scumm-software in the memory as well as sim city and more stuff I was using recently.

Greetings,
Drongo
thatgui

Post by thatgui »

try deleting everything that is scummvm related - also scummvm and then reinstall it.
I don't think that you have a memory problem. I don't know very much about the centros specs or PalmOS memory management. But centros heap memory should be sufficient for running scummvm (it seems obvious to me that it is enough - you wrote that you could start a game via the "direct mode").
Applications are always send to the background if the loose their focus, to avoid long loading times. I think their used heap is reduced to a minimum after they were send to background.
As long as no pro of this forum has a good idea, you could also try a older version of scummvm. As i read in other threads - on some devices this does (partly) the trick. You can get older builds via scummvm mainpage -> Links - PalmOS Port -> Chrilith page (you'll be on after clicking) -> download
drongo

Post by drongo »

okay, I deleted scumm and installed it new, but left the skin this time. Now it works. It doesn't react when I change any settings (volume), either globally nor for a specific game, but thats okay...

Thanks!