New version - OS5

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Palm port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

kayge

Post by kayge »

Everything's working great on my Zire72. Just 2 questions:

1.) Is it possible at this stage to have ScummVM display at 320x320 resolution? Or is this yet to come ? I know this would 'stretch' the image somewhat, but I'd like it to fill the screen if possible.

2.) Does the 'Wide' option do anything for 320x320 diplay? What does wide do exactly.?

Thanks and great job.

(I've read the forums and even asked in tapland, but didn't get an answer.)
Chrilith
ScummVM Porter

Post by Chrilith »

Well, it seems that there is a problem on TX with the new frontend version. And I need to know if this is a TX related problem or if this problem also affects other device. There is no problem on my Zodiac.

Thanks for your help
kayge

Post by kayge »

I just downloaded thelatest release. Frontend is fine on Zire72.
jihanj

Post by jihanj »

Chrilith wrote:Well, it seems that there is a problem on TX with the new frontend version. And I need to know if this is a TX related problem or if this problem also affects other device. There is no problem on my Zodiac.

Thanks for your help
It doesn't work on a TE2 either. The same white screen crash problem as with TX.
Chrilith
ScummVM Porter

Post by Chrilith »

Does the frontend show "importing database" when you press start ?
If you remove the memory card does it show the error dialog ?

thanks
Chrilith
ScummVM Porter

Post by Chrilith »

ok, I think I found the stupid thing I did. Can you try the new version ?

Thanks
Exca

Post by Exca »

Chrilith wrote:ok, I think I found the stupid thing I did. Can you try the new version ?

Thanks
The new version I can quit without having the white screen and the scumm-engine starts ok when starting without paths. After I load the mi2-directory in the engine it tries to start the game and the palm restarts.
Exca

Post by Exca »

Got it fixed, I had broken data-package in use.
tebra

Post by tebra »

OK, the last version (arm-31/12/2005) works on my T3 with DOTT. Sound, music and graphics are good. :P
The wide screen mode option have no effect. :cry:
jihanj

Post by jihanj »

Still doesn't work on my TE2. Actually I should say that it DOES work if there is nothing else loaded on to the device (i.e. factory clean), but as soon as I load up some other applications it refuses to run.

I am running ScummVM via direct mode (pressing the start button without configuring any game presets) and after selecting "Scumm Games" engine and about 20 seconds into the "Importing databases please wait" message I get the error message:

Fatal Alert:
MemoryMgr.c, Line:3823,
Non-word-aligned handle

Again, I'd like to emphasize that it does work if I free up some memory on my PDA. I don't think it's related to any particular application because what program I delete seems to be irrelevant as long as I delete SOMETHING. TE2 has 29.7MB of total internal flash memory, and I'm currently getting the fatal error with 12.6MB free memory.

How much free memory do I exactly need to run ScummVM? Has anybody successfully run ScummVM on a Tungsten E2 with 12 megs or less free onboard memory? Does ScummVM really require THAT much free memory (say, more than 15~20MB) or could it be just a memory management issue?

I would really love to see this problem solved in the near future so I could run ScummVM on my TE2 without having to delete a vast majority of my much-needed apps.

Props to Chrilith and the uber-awesome ScummVM team!!

PS. Oh, by the way this is my memory report

Free Total
Dynamic 3350 6144
Storage 14984 30480
Stack Size - 3

Question: How is dynamic/storage ratio allocated on a Palm device and what is the best way to free up your dynamic memory?
Tinnus

Post by Tinnus »

jihanj wrote:PS. Oh, by the way this is my memory report

Free Total
Dynamic 3350 6144
Storage 14984 30480
Stack Size - 3

Question: How is dynamic/storage ratio allocated on a Palm device and what is the best way to free up your dynamic memory?
That depends if it's a "normal RAM" device or an NTFS one. In normal RAM devices, you have the RAM, and the OS is pre-configures to tell programs how much dynamic They get. UDMH changes that by making programs use storage as well as dynamic as if it was all dynamic.

In NFVS like T|E2...

The storage flash memory should not affect anything. And I mean ANYTHING. NVFS devices have two memory areas: the flash chip AND a "hidden" normal RAM chip. This RAM chip is divided in 3 parts:
- The OS
- The dynamic memory
- The cache

I guess you know what the OS and the dynamic memory are. :) The cache though, works for programs like the storage in RAM devices. When you run a program, it is copied to the cache, then run from there. AFAIK, when programs write constant data to the storage memory (DmWrite) it also goes to the cache, in the RAM chip (I'm not too sure about this one though). Now, what UDMH does for NVFS is also related to the RAM chip: it takes cache space and turns into dynamic memory.

To summarize: no one plyas with the flash memory directly except the OS. Which means it *should* not matter how much free flash you have. The problem here is that the OS uses it, so who knows what it does with the cache space when you have little flash free. Maybe it does something crazy ike copying programs to the cache without you running them, and keeping it there. I don't know. But the OS is the direct culprit here, since all programs, *and* UDMH only use the RAM chip.

Oh, and to free dynamic memory, do a soft reset.
cartman

Post by cartman »

Maybe I'm stupid, but where can I download this version?
I can't wait to try it on my lifedrive!!!

Tou guys make a great job.

Thank you
jihanj

Post by jihanj »

cartman wrote:Maybe I'm stupid, but where can I download this version?
Try this link:
http://capers.free.fr/ScummVM/download.php
Chrilith
ScummVM Porter

Post by Chrilith »

new version, should fix the "Non-word-aligned handle" error. let me know
jihanj

Post by jihanj »

Chrilith wrote:new version, should fix the "Non-word-aligned handle" error. let me know
Thank you so much! Will try as soon as I get home. Can't wait!!