Some questions...

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Palm port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Post Reply
mdata91
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2007 2:53 pm

Some questions...

Post by mdata91 » Wed Jul 04, 2007 3:05 pm

Hello,

I'm a brand new user of a Palm Tungsten X (replacing my good old Tungsten 1), and scummVM is the first software I tried on my new machine :)

I have tried 0.9.1 then 0.10 and I have the following issues :

- Simon the Sorcerer I, Bargon attack and Gobliiins have very poor sound (music for Simon is like I tried to hear a MP3 on a low cpu). Are there particular settings for these games ? (all are DOS floppy versions). I use a DaneELEC 2 GB SD card, but it is also occuring on a PNY 128 MB one.

- Since I have switched version (the MI 2 bugs dissapeared !), I cannot use the hard key to rotate and stretch the screen : this is like the rotation is not made, and the stretching is vertical instead of horizontal. Moreover the hard key for menu does not work. I have seen other seem to have the same problem, but I wanted to add my feedback as I tell what Palm I have :)

- Full Throttle and Curse of Monkey Island are not detected by the Palm port but work fine on the Win version. I guess there are not supported by the Palm port, do you confirm ?

Again congratulations for such a good software. Playing Monkey Island on my TX during my rainy holidays was an immense pleasure. If I could be of some help for testing, you can count on me !

Bye

MD

User avatar
glokidd
Posts: 364
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2005 6:50 am
Location: british columbia, canada
Contact:

Post by glokidd » Thu Jul 05, 2007 12:14 am

Hi mdata91, welcome to the forums :D

While i am not the creator of the palmOS port (chrilith is the man :D) i may be able to help.

-to increase your sound quality enter the music and sound menu in the scummvm for palmOS frontend (do this by either selecting it from the menu bar or by clicking the speaker icon with a game selected. Here you are given several options, i prefer to use medium quality at a rate of 8 KHz on my TE2 and high at 11 or 22 KHz on my Zodiac. Fiddle around with these settings until you find what works right for you.

-I have heard of this from a few people now unfortunately, while i cant help with this directly i will chime in and say that this isnt a problem with the zodiac build, perhaps that info will help someone who actually knows what they are doing (being not me :P) fix the issue for all the disgruntled TX owners :wink: .

- Full Throttle, The Dig and The Curse of monkey island are not suppoted on palmOS due to memory restrictions :(

Hope this helps

mdata91
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2007 2:53 pm

Post by mdata91 » Thu Jul 05, 2007 7:22 am

glokidd wrote:Hi mdata91, welcome to the forums :D
Thanks :-)

glokidd wrote: While i am not the creator of the palmOS port (chrilith is the man :D) i may be able to help.

-to increase your sound quality enter the music and sound menu in the scummvm for palmOS frontend (do this by either selecting it from the menu bar or by clicking the speaker icon with a game selected. Here you are given several options, i prefer to use medium quality at a rate of 8 KHz on my TE2 and high at 11 or 22 KHz on my Zodiac. Fiddle around with these settings until you find what works right for you.
I did not think of this, I will try. Thanks for the hint !
glokidd wrote: -I have heard of this from a few people now unfortunately, while i cant help with this directly i will chime in and say that this isnt a problem with the zodiac build, perhaps that info will help someone who actually knows what they are doing (being not me :P) fix the issue for all the disgruntled TX owners :wink: .
I hope so :-) But until it is fixed the games are still playable, maybe I should put a Gameboy magnifying lens on my Tx ;-)
glokidd wrote: - Full Throttle, The Dig and The Curse of monkey island are not suppoted on palmOS due to memory restrictions :(
I thought of CPU power, but I did not think of memory. Thanks for the explanation, I will play them on my desktop PC :-)
(as I will play Broken Sword, which crashes my TX and fill my SD)
glokidd wrote: Hope this helps
It helped me a lot ! Thanks a lot !

And if you're interested in a French translation of your manual, just ask and I'll do it.

Bye

MD

User avatar
glokidd
Posts: 364
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2005 6:50 am
Location: british columbia, canada
Contact:

Post by glokidd » Fri Jul 06, 2007 6:43 pm

No prob, always glad to help :D
mdata91 wrote:And if you're interested in a French translation of your manual, just ask and I'll do it.
Wow :D thanks for the offer, im sure that will be a huge help :D Please feel free to do so, im sure the french adventure gaming community will greatly appreciate it :D
Before you start though you may want to do a thourough google search for the guide in that language, it is not impossible that one may already exist (chrilith himself is from france :D although hes usually pretty busy with the coding part :wink: )

Cheers :D

(wow thats an excessive amount of smileys :P )

mdata91
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2007 2:53 pm

Post by mdata91 » Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:15 am

glokidd wrote:No prob, always glad to help :D

Wow :D thanks for the offer, im sure that will be a huge help :D Please feel free to do so, im sure the french adventure
Hello,

I'm glad that you are interested :) I'll start the work as soon as possible.

Bye

MD

Post Reply