480x320 wide mode on TX?

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Palm port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

hal9k

480x320 wide mode on TX?

Post by hal9k »

Hi there, i was checking for updates of scummvm and i found that 480x320 resolution is not supported anymore? (i was using an ancient +1 year version)

I was trying on my tx, using sam & max, and 0.10.0svn snapshot (14-jan-07), but even turning on wide+fullscreen brings me a 320x200 screen with the keyboard area (even rotating my screen and hiding the keyboard prior launching scummvm).

Thanks in advance for any guidance on this newbie question...
emikanter

Re: 480x320 wide mode on TX?

Post by emikanter »

The same think happens to me!
Not only that, but even worse, when I press one of the two right buttons, or the central button, that's a click. When I press the first of the left buttons, I get a fullscreen, all right, but it doesn't rotate before entering the 480x320 resolution, leaving me with a very stretched guybrush threepwood hehehe
and the second button does nothing ese, as doesn't the first after stretching my adventures.

So there's no coming back.

So I have to reset my palm, because I can't access the menu! And if I remove the memory stick, it asks me to type "exit" or "help"... but if I pressed the first button, I don't have anyway to type, nor to make it come back. So it's annoying.

Sure, it's just a matter of not pressing the first button... but if only one of the right wing buttons were a click, and the other one, a menu, or if at least I could get my normal resolution back, everything would be workable... right now, it isn't.

Is this happening to everyone with TX? Cos if it's not, maybe I can install it over and try again.

Not really willing to bug anyone, but rather trying to help reporting a bug (c'mon, everyone of us has beaten secret of monkey island already :P)
biraneto

Post by biraneto »

This problem persists in the released tic tac toe version. You just can't show the load menu as buttons don't work and the screen is stretched.
I can see this problem in a T5 and it probably happens on Tungstens models and Palm TX. For now you should have to stick to v 0.9.1 as those problems don't happen on that version.
clcfr

widescreen issues...

Post by clcfr »

iv got exactls the same behavior described by hal9k on my sony clie peg ux 50. whatever i do i cant get a fullscreen. i remembr some older version that gave me full screen without the ability to open the menu (wich is about as crappy). Since these porblems are similiar id be as glad if someone knows details on that.hopefully ill have time to test some older versions these days. maybe there is a workable one.
is there anyone who has a device with a hires fullcreen mode that is indeed working as intended?

greetings!
clcfr

i forgot...

Post by clcfr »

biraneto, wich problem are you refereing to? elminkanters or hl9ks?
biraneto

Post by biraneto »

I was talking about not being able to use fullscreen. I already managed to use fullscreen though... I have to start the game with Mode: Hi-res + Keep aspect ratio checked. Also I need to rotate to wide screen position before starting the game. If you dont do that, the app don't know how to stretch itself to occupy the screen. Is this scummvm port still under development?
Runesr

Post by Runesr »

I have a Tungsten T5 and I use ScummVM 0.10.0 for the frontend and skin, but 0.9.1 for the mods, since the mods in 0.10.0 simply do not work correctly and probably should never have been published. This way 480x320 is working perfectly, but you are limited to the 0.9.1-supported games. Hopefully the next palmos release will be tested before it gets published - I would be glad to help in this regard. But combining frontend + skin from 0.10.0 with the mods from 0.9.1 worked fine for me (I could not get 0.9.1 to work on my mem card, but using this combination everything works fine - and I can play Day of the Tentacle, Sam 'n Max, Simon the Sorceror, Beneath a Steel Sky, Loom, Space Quest Replicated etc. without problems - but Broken Sword 1-2 and several other newer supported games will not work until new and improved mods are released.
Cool C

Post by Cool C »

I've played around a bit with version 0.10 and my Palm TX and seem to have narrowed the fault down to a particular situation. It work fine with fullscreen provided you change to wide mode before pressing start in the GUI. As mentioned in the thread before you also have to select "wide" mode in the options, the rest of the options doesn't seem to make any or very minor difference. It might be good to select "keep aspect ratio" though.

If I try to start the game in normal upright mode and THEN changing to wide mode it doesn't scale. Pressing the leftmost hard button at this point changes the screen to fullscreen but still without scaling the image and with no way to change back. This is the problem many have described here. Only way to get out is to either press the reset button or hold down the middle navigation button (which seem to crash/reset the device).

On the other hand, if I try to start the game in wide mode the leftmost hard button works as it should, it removes the writer area and changes to fullscreen with nicely scaled image. Pressing it again changes back to windowed mode. The second left button seem to change between different fullscreen modes, there is a slight size difference but it's very small. The two right buttons act as mouse clicks. The 5 middle buttons doesn't work at all (except the crash bug/feature mentioned). The "home" icon on the writer area act as cutscene skipper now and the menu icon of course bring up the ScummVM menu. Something strange/fun is that you CAN switch between wide and upright mode after the game is running!

In my opinion the button allocation should be changed. The second left button should be assigned to either menu or "skip cutscene" since it's pretty useless anyway. The left of the right buttons could be whatever is left of the two since that one is also pretty useless (the pointer is left mouseclick ffs!) Either that or get the 5-way navi button working so you can assign these functions to that one, because it's a mess to zoom out to window mode each time you want to skip a cutscene or save the game...
afoldo

Post by afoldo »

I can confirm that the same widescreen (or should I say "shortscreen") bug happens on my LifeDrive with 0.10.
Runesr

Post by Runesr »

I may be wrong regarding my previous post that ScummVM palm-port is not working, and "Cool C" may be quite right - I just discovered that I may not have installed the ScummVM 0.10 correctly - when I find the time to do some extensive testing on my T5 I will look into this issue and report back (probably tomorrow).
afoldo

Post by afoldo »

If Cool C is right, and as far as my Lifedrive is concerned he is, then there is definitely a widescreen bug in 0.10.
Runesr

Post by Runesr »

Ok, I tried to follow several kinds of advice, but my former conclusion still stands - the 0.10 mods do not work correctly on my T5 (the wide screen select button just stretches the display and locks up my T5 and I have to do a hard reset). Only the mods from the 0.9.1 work.
Chris B

Post by Chris B »

I seem to have the same experience as Runesr. Just finished a full playing of "Flight of the amazon queen" on my T|X, and was loving ScummWM. The buttons att the bottom worked as follows
Applications=Switch aspect.
Calendar=Escape (skip cutscene)
Arrows=Moved the cursor
Contacts=Ingame menu
Browser=? (Cant remember)

In the latest ScummWM builds these do not work. Pressing the Applications button will stretch the game (but not switch aspect). But pressing it again will not switch back, thus the games is made very hard to play and you have to endure the entire start cutscene every time you play (this can be avoided by not pressing the applications button and instead pressing the Home button in the graffiti area). In Indiana Jones and the Temple of Atlantis and Sam and Max which I tested briefly things are worse. Since the menu button does not work, games cannot be saved nor loaded. Nor can the game be quited w/o the use of the reset button. At least I have found no way.

Judging from Runesr experience it is ScummWM 0.9 I was using, which worked nicely and that I will need to find.
Edit: It can be found here:
http://heanet.dl.sourceforge.net/source ... os-os5.zip
Will try and get back to this board.

Edit2: Nope that did not help. I wonder which version worked?

P.S. And no matter what version I am using, checking "O55 advanced mode" will crash ScummVM.
Chris B

Post by Chris B »

Yes! Runesr was right again. 10.0 and the mods from 9.1 works nicely. Probably the same is true for later versions (ie. later version .prc with 9.1 mods), but right now I am just happy that ScummWM works again.
Runesr

Post by Runesr »

Unfortunately Day of the Tentacle and probably other similar games do not work completely and will crash at certain places, so 0.9.1 mods are far from a perfect solution - but it seems that the developer no longer tests compatibility with Tungsten devices.
Still I see no alternative to 0.9.1, as newer versions are far more buggy as explained earlier in this thread - but I keep on dreaming of the day a new PalmOS Port arrives that keeps the controls of 0.9.1 and adds the functionality of newest mods :wink: