PalmOS Readme/FAQ -WIP- [UPDATED 01/30/07]

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Palm port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

glokidd

Post by glokidd »

You will need a card reader to put the rest of the files on your device. They can be found fairly cheap these days, i got my USB sd card reader for about $14 canadian :)

the process is explained in more detail in section 1 of the above Readme/FAQ

hope this helps
arie

Post by arie »

never heard of those. ill try and search for one anyway.
glokidd

Post by glokidd »

Just to provide an example (products available in your area may differ)I use this card reader available fron "the Source by Circut City"(formerly radio shack) generally card readers like these are easy to find in any electronics department as memory cards are used for so many different things like cameras, PDA's, phones, etc. Some audio stores carry them as well.
I originally bought my card reader to run scummvm on my palm as well :D Now i use it so much for so many things i cant believe i didnt have one before :)
glokidd

Post by glokidd »

Very cool, apperently palmz.in user kiot has translated the ReadME/FAQ to Russian.

Great work! Check it out here
biraneto

Post by biraneto »

Actually you may have another few alternatives to a card reader. (If you are lucky to own the right model)

1- You may have a bluetooth enabled device. With bluetooth you can use a software like softick Bluefiles to connect to a PC and manage the files as needed. This also requires having a PC bluetooth adapter and may be kind of tricky depending on the level of experience of the user.

2- You may have a drive mode enabled device. Some tungesten models have the Drive Mode app. You connect to a PC using the bundled data cable and turn drive mode on... turning your palm into a usb drive and allowing you to manage your files using windows explorer quite easily. This probably works in any system with support for pen drives like devices. This one don't requires any experience, and it's easy and fast.

For users of the TX model there is also the possibility of installing Drive Mode using FileZ and a T5 model (to copy the app from). This may get kind of tricky and may require some "google search" and "research it by yourself" habilities) :)
ceaser

I can get Kyrandia and Drascula to work on my Palm Pre but..

Post by ceaser »

I'm going to look around some more but I think I can't figure out how to install ScummVM on my Palm Pre. The folders are different than what it says in the PalmOS.readme file, as I think the readme is written for an older type of phone, the ones that took SD cards. This has an 8.5 GB USB hard drive, but has no option for a SD card (i can goto the icon that says ScummVM but only run stuff that uses .dat files which is only these 2 games that are legal. I know where to get lots of old games .dat files but i don't want to mess around with it until the keymapping and stuff is ported right).

Hotsync util I think does not exist for Palm Pre yet, so this "- Install ScummVM-Frontend.prc and skin.pdb via hotsync" part that is the main thing you have to do, is something I can't figure out how to do.

I did show hidden files & folders, and they have some hidden stuff there but it isn't anything like the folder names listed in the PalmOS.readme

Also I can't do anything but look at things in Kyrandia (so I can't get out of the jail cell since I can't set the hay on fire!) and all I can do in Drascula is move and talk to people (can't grab items). I hope this helps you more figure out what bugs there is. I can guarantee you I am keeping this app on my phone.

Best of luck porting this thing 100% to Palm Pre (because I think this is new and WIP to port)! And thanks

edit after reading post below: ah so i see! i'm hacking around then it would appear :O

i'm using novaterm, which allows me to use the palm pre like a bsd terminal/linux (more like linux i guess but not quite either)

those dirs are actually there when you go into the phone that way. i'll let you know if my messing around works.
Last edited by ceaser on Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

This (sub)forum is about the PalmOS port of ScummVM. The PalmPre, while made by Palm, does not run on PalmOS, but rather WebOS, which is an entirely and radically different operating system. Nothing that applies to PalmOS devices applies to the PalmPre and related devices.

For that matter, there are some unofficial PalmPre ports of ScummVM out there. Maybe one of them will become an official port one day, although right now a lot of people seem to think that WebOS and the PalmPre will soon be only history anyway... We'll see :)