Support Humongous Games

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Palm port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

dsleaf67

Support Humongous Games

Post by dsleaf67 »

I want to start by saying I'm relatively new to Scumm and these boards, so please bear with me. I have done several searches for this but can't really get the info I'm looking for.

First are the latest SVN or Arm versions based on the lastest release or Scumm for PC, thus having at least the same compatibility in the engine(doesn't mean the port itself will run all compatible I realize)?

Next is does the current version SVN, Arm etc. support the Humonous Games? It would be great for the kids on long trips for them to play their PC games on the road. I tried serval full games of there's but I get Fatal Exception 10 errors just about the time the video part starts, if I skip past those I get father , but still craps just before the starts.

I have since tried all demos instead since they are smaller easier to test on smaller cards, but the only one that worked was Putt Putt joins the Parade demo. The retail one would crash though.

I have a Zodiac 1 with nothing installed but Scumm. I hard reset it often and try to keep everything I use on the SD cards.
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

Are you aware that most HE games run with 640x480 resolution. Will it fit?

Eugene
dsleaf67

Post by dsleaf67 »

Thanks for the thought. I belive your right and that probably is whats causing it. The funny thing was maybe because of scaling etc. it fit fine but was mostly at certain parts it would do it.

The other strange thing was the demo for the same game worked but not the original. One note was the demo would have an lock up issue at start the odd time that required reset then was fine. I did notice though the demo was different though it didn't start the same way. Maybe the problem there was the starting sequence in the original would cause the FE 10, but that same sequence wasn't in demo.

It seems to be memory related for sure and I think you're right the screen resolution is probably alot to do with it. Zodiac is only 480 by 320 so would have to be scaled down or something. I guess this probably means they will never work on palm.

I'm expecting a Z2 soon so maybe, with more memory it might be better. I'll try then anyway. Thanks again for the response.
Chrilith
ScummVM Porter

Post by Chrilith »

in fact you are right dsleaf67 - let me know if it work better with a Z2 so that I know if this is a memory related problem or something else

thanks
dsleaf67

Post by dsleaf67 »

Chrilith wrote:in fact you are right dsleaf67 - let me know if it work better with a Z2 so that I know if this is a memory related problem or something else

thanks
Hi again, finally got my Z2. Tried again this time with/without UDMH with the same result: Fatal exception 10 - Reset. I guess playing those kids games as well as probably some newer scumm like CMI that have higher resolution won't like work on palm.

Oh well, it was worth a shot