Bada port?

Discussion about other and unofficial ports of ScummVM

Moderator: ScummVM Team

fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

If I was you, I'd strongly advice against a SourceForge project for this -- rather, create a github.com project. This way, it is trivial to make a fork of the current ScummVM code base, and also very easy to get your changed merged back into regular ScummVM.
It also offers a simple wiki and an issue tracker, should you need it.

But it's also only any good if someody actually has written *code* that they then would commit there. If not, then the whole "create a project" thing seems pretty pointless (it would just add to the thousands of dead "I have an idea, let's register" projects on SF.net).
chrisws

Post by chrisws »

Hi fingolfin,

Good advice... yes github is the way to go. I've already created a fork and I'm ready to investigate further. I'm not fussed if some other work materialises first since this will be a good learning exercise,

Cheers,
Chris
chrisws

Post by chrisws »

chrisws wrote:Hi fingolfin,

Good advice... yes github is the way to go. I've already created a fork and I'm ready to investigate further. I'm not fussed if some other work materialises first since this will be a good learning exercise,

Cheers,
Chris
So... I'm making quite good progress with my version of the bada ScummVM port. I have reached the stage of being able to successfully build a debug EXE and have the code partially run in the simulator. All of the missing c API's have been handled in one way or another.

The code is available here:
https://github.com/chrisws/scummvm

I've linked the project git commits to my twitter account (cwarrensmith) so you can follow my progress.

Cheers,
Chris
Kyro

Post by Kyro »

hey folks,

code managing would be a nice thing. I was quite frustrated by all the defimes to set manually in that stupid ide ro proceed with my work. Actually because i'm completely unexperienced in writing makefiles. i couldn't test it, but at far as i got everything was implemented and compiled without errors, although i'm sure there are a lot of runtime errors to fix.

greetings
chrisws

Post by chrisws »

Kyro wrote:hey folks,

code managing would be a nice thing. I was quite frustrated by all the defimes to set manually in that stupid ide ro proceed with my work. Actually because i'm completely unexperienced in writing makefiles. i couldn't test it, but at far as i got everything was implemented and compiled without errors, although i'm sure there are a lot of runtime errors to fix.

greetings
Hi Kyro,

I found it was possible to modify and use the existing scummvm configure script to build the scummvm innards into a static library (using cygwin). Then the resulting libscummvm.a just needed to be referenced in the eclipse project. This approach allows maximum reuse of existing build tools.

The last big hurdle seems to be building a working graphicsManager component, every thing else is more or less just plumbing.

Feel free to incorporate my code in the git-hub repository; if you have the OpenGL stuff working I'd be interested to have a look at your code.

Cheers,
Chris
Kyro

Post by Kyro »

I implemented the graphics using the standard canvas routines to be compatible with bada 1.1 devices too. If you expierienced this to be too slow, opengl would be the right direction. I have a lot of experience with opengl programming and could take a look at it when I got the time.

I'm quite busy at the moment with my studies and renovating my home, and in addition to that motivation problem I didn't work on that project for some time, sorry.
chrisws

Progress

Post by chrisws »

I've managed to get as far as displaying the game setup screen.

Getting the graphics manager working was hopefully the hardest part - I was an opengl noob but now I know enough to be dangerous lol...
DonStefano

Post by DonStefano »

That looks great. Go on!!
NovaCoder

Post by NovaCoder »

Looking good guys, keep it up :D
chrisws

Post by chrisws »

Hi everyone,

I have created a web page to post information about my progress:

http://www.users.on.net/~cwarrensmith/bada-scummvm/

Cheers,
Chris
guppydu

Post by guppydu »

hexaae

Post by hexaae »

If you need donation just tell us! Great work!
Hope for an EGL version with the smoothest gfx engine too...
DonStefano

Post by DonStefano »

That looks so amazing. Do you know how long it will take if we can use it on the Wave? I want to play The Dig and Dott on my Wave. :-)
chrisws

Post by chrisws »

Most of the programming work is now complete. I still need to hook up gestures, eg swipe=escape but I need to experiment on a real device to see what works best. Hopefully there won't be too much difference between the handset and the simulator.

The next thing is for Samsung to release BADA 1.2. Apparently I might be able to get it by nagging a Samsung service centre. Depending on which forum you read, it's either coming very soon, or not at all. They no longer provide an SDK for version 1.0 so building for that version is not an option.
hexaae

Post by hexaae »

chrisws wrote:Most of the programming work is now complete. I still need to hook up gestures, eg swipe=escape but I need to experiment on a real device to see what works best. Hopefully there won't be too much difference between the handset and the simulator.

The next thing is for Samsung to release BADA 1.2. Apparently I might be able to get it by nagging a Samsung service centre. Depending on which forum you read, it's either coming very soon, or not at all. They no longer provide an SDK for version 1.0 so building for that version is not an option.
Hope you'll adopt double-tap = right-mouse-button. Would be very handy...