Bada port?

Discussion about other and unofficial ports of ScummVM

Moderator: ScummVM Team

stssts

Bada port?

Post by stssts »

Hello,

I wonder if the Bada OS (new samsung OS for mobile phones) version of ScummVM is planned or at least considered. Thanks!
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

If a volunteer appears who is interested and able in working on this, then it might happen. I am not aware of anybody working on this right now, though it sometimes (sadly) happens that people work on such things without ever telling us.
hexaae

Post by hexaae »

Yeah! Let's hope to see a port for Bada soon...
I've read it has Linux kernel so if Android got it it can be done also for Bada...
SonataFanatica

Post by SonataFanatica »

A Bada-port would be absolutely awesome! I mean... take for example the new Samsung Wave S8500 which has a 1 GHz processor!! :o That would ensure that each and every ScummVM game can be run! No memory restrictions as with the Nintendo DS! Or am I wrong with that?
hexaae

Post by hexaae »

Exactly. Samsung Wave has 512MB ram, 800x480 display, Linux kernel based OS, 1GHz and GFX co-processor (!) for video acceleration. A port of Scummvm would be absolutely great!!
Last edited by hexaae on Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ivan952

Post by ivan952 »

A bada port would be nice!
Jogi

Post by Jogi »

I too would love to see ScummVM on my Samsung Wave.
I'm pretty sure that bada is becoming an important OS since Samsung will be using it for most of its new phones step by step.

That's the official plan:

After the launch of the first bada phone, Samsung Wave, it was sold over 1Mio times in the first 4 weeks!

You can find information about Bada OS and Samsung's developer challenge on www.bada.com and http://developer.bada.com

Since bada is C++ and an open platform a port of ScummVM hopefully wouldn't be too much work for somebody who knows how to do it. Anybody out there willing to join the wave? :)
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

Jogi wrote:Since bada is C++ and an open platform a port of ScummVM hopefully wouldn't be too much work for somebody who knows how to do it. Anybody out there willing to join the wave? :)
Problem #1, the device. The developer who is interested in porting has to have a Bada device.

Eugene
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

Regarding Samsung's plans: What you posted is the *hype* Samsung wants us to believe. But whether it will happen that way... Android and iPhone OS have had quite a head start on Bada. Right now, Samsung is the only one to offer phones using Bada, in fact (as far as I know), only a single phone. So there's a classical chicken and egg problem: Why would developers invest money to develop apps for Bada when there is only one phone resp. one manufacturer behind it? On the other hand, why should users buy a (the) Bada phone, when there are no apps? And why should other phone manufactures use Bada when there are no apps, and they can use Android? Or Meemo, etc.

Maybe Bada will manage to overcome all this and take off; it happened before. But right now I am very skeptical of that chart you are showing... it's more like a dream or a vision than a "plan" :). It might very well be that in 2012, there will be no Bada anymore...

That said, we certainly would be happy to offer a Bada port, if somebody submits one to us. Or maybe somebody is willing to donate a Bada phone, and some of our existing developers are willing to take it and dig into the Bada OS, and write a port. It boils down to finding volunteers... :)

P.S.: I just checked and discovered that their SDK is Windows-only. So all our Linux and Mac developers are out of the game anyway.
Jogi

Post by Jogi »

sev wrote:Problem #1, the device. The developer who is interested in porting has to have a Bada device.
I don't think so. The development suite for bada that is offered by Samsung includes a coding environment based on Eclipse and an emulator that runs bada for testing your apps.

fingolfin wrote:Regarding Samsung's plans: What you posted is the *hype* Samsung wants us to believe. But whether it will happen that way... Android and iPhone OS have had quite a head start on Bada.
Well, it's their company road plan. This is what Samsung will be offering in the next two years. It's not about any hype. It's just what a company is going to offer. And since Samsung is ranked 2nd on selling mobile phones 50% is a lot.
fingolfin wrote:Samsung is the only one to offer phones using Bada, in fact (as far as I know), only a single phone.
That can't be the point. Apple is the only one offering iOS and too is only a "hype". The S8500 Wave was released in June in Germany and some other countries. Other countries are following right now. The next two bada phones were already introduced and will come this month. (Wave 533 & Wave 525). Samsung will release more bada phones this year (leaked road plan) and of course more phones next year. Also stated officially that it keeps the option to allow using bada for other mobile phone companies in the future.
fingolfin wrote:Why would developers invest money to develop apps for Bada when there is only one phone resp. one manufacturer behind it? On the other hand, why should users buy a (the) Bada phone, when there are no apps? And why should other phone manufactures use Bada when there are no apps, and they can use Android? Or Meemo, etc.
Well, Samsung is a big global player (not only) in that market. Right now the S8500 Wave is a top bestseller in its price range (~300EUR). Samsung combined top hardware features with a fast and fluent OS, selling it for an unbeatable price. The next phones coming this year will be even cheaper which will easily establish a big bada market.
Also Samsung is currently pushing a lot of money into app development. Besides the fact that there are contracts with several hundred established software companies to bring out their products for bada until the end of this year, Samsung also runs developer meetings all around the world and hosts the developer chalange with a total price money of USD 2,700,000. Have a look at the developer page that I linked previously.
fingolfin wrote:I just checked and discovered that their SDK is Windows-only. So all our Linux and Mac developers are out of the game anyway.
Unfortunately the SDK is offered for Windows only. I'm not happy about this, too. However, why not developing in a VM? Should be possible imho.
DrMcCoy
ScummVM Developer

Post by DrMcCoy »

Jogi wrote:based on Eclipse
Ewww!

:P
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Post by LordHoto »

Jogi wrote:
sev wrote:Problem #1, the device. The developer who is interested in porting has to have a Bada device.
I don't think so. The development suite for bada that is offered by Samsung includes a coding environment based on Eclipse and an emulator that runs bada for testing your apps.
So now who would develop a port (in his free time) to a device, which he doesn't own? Maybe there is such a guy, but that seems rather unrealistic, at least I could think of tons of more interesting (and to me valuable) stuff to do in my free time.
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

Jogi wrote:
fingolfin wrote:I just checked and discovered that their SDK is Windows-only. So all our Linux and Mac developers are out of the game anyway.
Unfortunately the SDK is offered for Windows only. I'm not happy about this, too. However, why not developing in a VM? Should be possible imho.
So... Do you really think it is realistic to expect some devs to spend their spare time to develop a port for a device they don't own, by installing Windows into a Virtual machine and running an emulator of the phone in there... And all this in their spare time, for free, without any particular incentive?

Hm... :)
DonStefano

Post by DonStefano »

Jeah. Scummvm on the Symsung Wave would be great. Full Throttle, Monkey Island etc. to play on it would be wonderful.

Greetings form Germany
NovaCoder

Post by NovaCoder »

I just brought a S8500, might have a go at a quick port to see how hard it is :D