Sound on amiga os 4.1?

Discussion about other and unofficial ports of ScummVM

Moderator: ScummVM Team

G.o.D

Sound on amiga os 4.1?

Post by G.o.D »

Hello,

is the amiga os4 port supposed to have sound?

i am trying to run 0.12.0 on a sam440 with amiga os 4.1 and i get the log message
WARNING: Could not open audio device: No available audio device!
soundcard is set up in ahi prefs, driver cs4281

any ideas?
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Re: Sound on amiga os 4.1?

Post by Raziel »

G.o.D wrote:Hello,

is the amiga os4 port supposed to have sound?

i am trying to run 0.12.0 on a sam440 with amiga os 4.1 and i get the log message
WARNING: Could not open audio device: No available audio device!
soundcard is set up in ahi prefs, driver cs4281

any ideas?
I don't have OS4 on a SAM, but read about SAM having some issues with sound (i think) on amiga forums...

Do you get ANY sound from your soundcard? (Try the "Test Sound" in AHI prefs)
Does it work with other sound output software? (TuneNet e.g.)

Have you checked the cables, output plugged right?

Let me know...
G.o.D

Re: Sound on amiga os 4.1?

Post by G.o.D »

Raziel wrote: Do you get ANY sound from your soundcard? (Try the "Test Sound" in AHI prefs)
Does it work with other sound output software? (TuneNet e.g.)
yes, due to the lack of usefull workfields to amiga os 4, my amiga os 4 box is currently acting as the most expensive mp3 player of the world ;)

so sound in general works
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

What are your sound settings in ScummVM? (Try <default> and Adlib)

do a "version devs:audio.device file full" in shell and post the output here.
G.o.D

Post by G.o.D »

Raziel wrote:What are your sound settings in ScummVM? (Try <default> and Adlib)
both do not work. i noticed, that there are additional warnings when starting a game:
WARNING: Sound initialization failed. This may cause severe problems in some games.!
WARNING: Sound mixer initialization failed!
it says audio.device 52.1 (08.12.2006)
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

G.o.D wrote:
Raziel wrote:What are your sound settings in ScummVM? (Try <default> and Adlib)
both do not work. i noticed, that there are additional warnings when starting a game:
WARNING: Sound initialization failed. This may cause severe problems in some games.!
WARNING: Sound mixer initialization failed!
OK, seems we need to rule out more ... you got a PM
it says audio.device 52.1 (08.12.2006)
The same as mine and as AHI works aswell...hmmm
iPwnzorz

Post by iPwnzorz »

There's an Amiga port O.o

Why?!
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

iPwnzorz wrote:There's an Amiga port O.o

Why?!
Why not? ScummVM has been ported to several platforms, this is one of them
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

Why?!
Because Amiga fans love good adventures aswell

LA stopped producing them a while back, e.g. DOTT was never released on any Amiga platform, now with the awesome ScummVM i can play it at last

Thanks to the unbelieveable work of the ScummVM team
G.o.D

Post by G.o.D »

after reinstalling the os, everything works fine

thanx for the support

... and there are no amiga adventures running on amiga os4/sam (or really bad, e.g. simon II for amiga os 3), therefor the amiga os 4 port is absolutely necessary. thank you for this software!
iPwnzorz

Post by iPwnzorz »

Raziel wrote:

Why?!

LA stopped producing them a while back, e.g. DOTT was never released on any Amiga platform, now with the awesome ScummVM i can play it at last

Oh right. It's just that the majority of ScummVM games seemed to be Amgia-native.
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

Thats right for the old games, everything that came after MI2 was cancelled for AmigaOS, so i'm absolutely hooked on ScummVM :-)

Plus some games were never designed to run on such a platform like Amiga. With ScummVM we can enjoy some of the great classics that came after LA and Sierra ...

...speaking of Sierra, i really hope the FreeSCI guys can get support for all the Sierra adventures, i LOVE to play the later games (Larry 6 and up, KQ 7 and up, Space Quest 5 and up and so on)
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

G.o.D wrote:after reinstalling the os, everything works fine

thanx for the support

... and there are no amiga adventures running on amiga os4/sam (or really bad, e.g. simon II for amiga os 3), therefor the amiga os 4 port is absolutely necessary. thank you for this software!
You fixed it?

Great :-)

The Simon 2 port for OS3 wasn't that bad, but compared to ScummVM it sucks, e.g. there is no background music in the OS3 port and the overall speed is poor
Mr Margaret Scratcher

Post by Mr Margaret Scratcher »

iPwnzorz wrote:
Raziel wrote:

Why?!

Oh right. It's just that the majority of ScummVM games seemed to be Amgia-native.
Also that's fine if you're using an amiga hooked up to a TV, but if you're using a graphics card on a classic amiga, or any of the new amigas like the Aone or the Sam440 then a lot of apps that hit the custom chips and output via the RF out won't be usable. That's where SCumm comes in I guess..
k9dog

Post by k9dog »

Hi.

I just want to mention: If others run into this problem, remember to assign a card to AHI sound unit 0 (not just a default device - selecting default for each unit might work but have something valid must be selected - And you might as well assign the others as well. I selected the device I used). At first I had selected a soundcard for ahi but had forgotten to select for each unit so in my case AmigaAmp and ScummVM didn't work. TuneNet worked however.

ScummVM just needs to have selected default as sound device in the options.

I havent used Amiga much myself these last years except I kept reading mails on YAM and when the harddisk on the old A4000 was acting up I saw a chance to purchase AmigaOS 4.1 for a pegasos II that was collecting some dust. Most games didn't work at all and ScummVM seemed to be good first step for gaming. Sooo I saw the same problems as C.o.D, in my case it was just a question of making a valid AHI configuration. Now I got a Sierra game and 3 LucasArts games running (I will probably add more but these already existed on the harddisk from the A4000).

Next projects will probably be DOSBox and eUAE (to get rest of games working). I think it is amazing to see number of games I like that are available in ScummVM =) hehe

There is another reason to run ScummVM on Amiga. Some of the Sierra PC games was kinda stripped on the Amiga (when PC ran SVGA 640x480 256 colors, the Amiga was considered to be 320x240 32 colors which meant the ports in many cases was EGA graphics). This was even after AGA was released. Clearly running the 256 color versions are more interesting. (Even on a standard A1200).