PS3 Scummvm?

Discussion about other and unofficial ports of ScummVM

Moderator: ScummVM Team

m_kiewitz
ScummVM Developer

Post by m_kiewitz »

Dark-Star wrote:PS3Linux will probably not be needed anymore soon, since the PS3 has recently been hacked to support homebrew binaries.
No, it wasn't.
It got "hacked" for pirating only. And my guess is that this "hack" is actually a secret key used by Sony for fixing consoles and not a real hack.
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

I don't have a PS3 but find reading about these things interesting.
I hadn't heard about this recent 'jailbreak' dongle.
Reading further it seems there is now an open source version up on Git so you can make your own dongle and the piracy features have been disabled.
SuperDre

Post by SuperDre »

m_kiewitz wrote:
Dark-Star wrote:PS3Linux will probably not be needed anymore soon, since the PS3 has recently been hacked to support homebrew binaries.
No, it wasn't.
It got "hacked" for pirating only. And my guess is that this "hack" is actually a secret key used by Sony for fixing consoles and not a real hack.
Yes is exactly a way to set the PS3 into debug (for now), and when in debug it will let you run unsigned code, which means you can run your own software from the XMB.. There is an SDK floating around (which is already a bit old), but it will help you understand all the available libraries under GameOS..

BUT, i guess it will propably be blocked in the next update, you will be blocked when trying to get on to PSN, even without the stick sony can see if your PS3 has been in Debugmode. But then again for a lot of us who are still at 3.15 there is no difference as we also cannot get onto PSN.. What I do hope now is that Sony is putting OtherOS back (and hopefully on ALL models not only Slim)..

@RedBreast: disabling piracy features is not possible if they have cloned the PSjailbraik, I think they just mention it to put people off..
Hansi

Post by Hansi »

m_kiewitz wrote:
No, it wasn't.
The open source version has ISO loading disabled and is only intended for running unsigned code like homebrews:

http://github.com/psgroove/psgroove
SuperDre

Post by SuperDre »

Hansi wrote:
m_kiewitz wrote:
No, it wasn't.
The open source version has ISO loading disabled and is only intended for running unsigned code like homebrews:

http://github.com/psgroove/psgroove
well there's already a patch available.. LOL.. Also just wait a few days and you'll be able to do it through your PSP or a lot of other devices (which means you don't have to buy an USB-development board)..

BUT, be carefull, if you are afraid your console and your PSN-accounts being banned then don't use this hack..
m_kiewitz
ScummVM Developer

Post by m_kiewitz »

m_kiewitz wrote:No, it wasn't.
It's now known that this "hack" is actually exploiting a buffer overflow in the PS3 USB stack. So it is a hack and theoretically it could get used for homebrew, although I guess it will get patched with the next firmware update.
homesickalien

Post by homesickalien »

I've been chatting with the folks who brought the open source hack out on IRC. They've mentioned that because of this exploit it will likely open the door for bigger and better exploits. Also, the folks who brought the 'homebrew channel' to the wii (Team Twiizers) have been working closely with this to develop further.

I suggest heading over to the IRC channel @ Efnet #PS3Dev with any questions.

Bushing of Team Twiizers and Mathieulh who hacked the hack are there pretty regularly.

Also, more helpful info here:
http://ps3wiki.lan.st/index.php/Main_Page
Dark-Star

Post by Dark-Star »

m_kiewitz wrote:
m_kiewitz wrote:No, it wasn't.
It's now known that this "hack" is actually exploiting a buffer overflow in the PS3 USB stack. So it is a hack and theoretically it could get used for homebrew, although I guess it will get patched with the next firmware update.
That was already known when I posted the above. And just for the record, I couldn't care less for piracy on the PS3, I can afford to *buy* the games I want to play.

And the open source repository mentioned above actually contains only the exploit (no payload), so in theory it's not even useful on its own for piracy but *only* for homebrew.

Let's see where this develops from here. I, for one, would love to see native homebrew on the PS3.

-Darkstar
m_kiewitz
ScummVM Developer

Post by m_kiewitz »

Dark-Star wrote:And the open source repository mentioned above actually contains only the exploit (no payload), so in theory it's not even useful on its own for piracy but *only* for homebrew.
I think almost any website that reported about this had a patch included for enabling piracy. The exploit wasn't found by homebrew people, but by piracy people that sold that 170$ USB Dongle including a "backup" software that runs games from harddrive and nothing else. The exploit just got reverse engineered, that's all.

Anyway this flaw will get patched shortly and I do hope that no one successfully digs further, because otherwise the on-line part of PS3 will get fully destroyed. It's awful enough to have cheaters in Mario Kart Wii online, but PS3 has many more online titles and they would get fully ruined by this.
Let's see where this develops from here. I, for one, would love to see native homebrew on the PS3.
we already had native and supported homebrew. We will never get that far anymore in any case and that's a shame. I wouldn't even think about using that exploit, because I wouldn't like to get banned.
Angelus3K

Post by Angelus3K »

I see there is now a ScummVM PS3 port out in the wild, any chance of an official version with Move support? :D
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

No. The PS3 port out in the wild uses illegal copies of the SDK and we do not cooperate with people breaking laws in most countries we operate in.
Angelus3K

Post by Angelus3K »

Of course, I've not even downloaded that ScummVM but there is a fully legal homebrew SDK available now isn't there?
SuperDre

Post by SuperDre »

Angelus3K wrote:Of course, I've not even downloaded that ScummVM but there is a fully legal homebrew SDK available now isn't there?
Yes, there is, and it would be possible, it's mostly based on the 'opensource' CELL SDK from IBM.. But then again, I really don't get the fuzz at all as a lot of other 'official' ports aren't 100% legal also like the PSP/Wii/DS/PS2 ports, they all depend on using functions/libraries of the original firmwares and not completely on 'opensource' homebrew libraries.
But ofcourse when the ScummVM compiles using a 'Homebrew' opensource SDK it propably will be an official port.
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

I wasn't aware that there is now a fully legal homebrew SDK -- that would change things. My last info was they people were using illegal copies of the official Sony SDK to make apps.

SuperDre, there is a *huge* difference between using an open source homebrew SDK which does not contain copyrighted code from 3rd parties (such as Sony), and using illegal copies of official vendor SDK. For the former, I don't claim that it's completely clear what the status is; for the latter, however, it is crystal clear.

Anyway, if there is a legit homebrew SDK for the PS3, then an official PS3 port would be in principle possible. As usual, though, an official port still require dedicated people to create and maintain it. And Move support will require even more dedicated people. (Not that I see what use Move support would have for a graphics adventure, but well...).
SuperDre

Post by SuperDre »

fingolfin wrote:I wasn't aware that there is now a fully legal homebrew SDK -- that would change things. My last info was they people were using illegal copies of the official Sony SDK to make apps.
And Move support will require even more dedicated people. (Not that I see what use Move support would have for a graphics adventure, but well...).
ofcourse not everybody is up to everything on everything hehe, especially if they propably don't have a PS3..

the current link to the homebrew SDK is this: http://github.com/HACKERCHANNEL/PSL1GHT

But you are right, it will take dedication from people to support an official port, and that's something that's lacking as a lot of people want something but don't want to go through the efforts..

I think the move support is meant in regard as a mouse replacement, nothing else.. it's the only thing I can think of at least, LOL..