PS3 Scummvm?

Discussion about other and unofficial ports of ScummVM

Moderator: ScummVM Team

RavenLife

PS3 Scummvm?

Post by RavenLife »

alright guys,

just thought i would get a discussion going.

seems as you guys currently have a Scummvm for Linux

has there been any attempt to get it to work with the ps3?

if so what were the results?

if not are there any plans to?

if it does work, will it be modified (create a new one) so that it will work with the ps3 controller

this isnt a request, im just generally interested. i dont have a ps3

thanks

RL
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

No, no efforts known so far. No, nobody in the Team has PS3 yet. Yes, when someone will be willing to work on such port, we will be glad to see this port as official one.

Eugene
RavenLife

Post by RavenLife »

thanks for the quick reply

glad to hear it

s'all good

thanks

RL
dreamkin

Post by dreamkin »

You have the option to install Yellow Dog Linux on PS3. If I'm not mistaken it's a Fedora Core linux. So far people had no problems running Fedora Applications on PS3. I have seen MAME, NES and SNES emulators running. (both in full screen and windowed mode)

So theoretically ScummVM should not be a problem.

Then again.. I have up coding back in the SEKA Assembler times of Amiga and am absolutely no expert on Linux.

But really. Somebody should try ScummVM on PS3.
Yixian

Post by Yixian »

There's lots that can be done on the Yellow Dog side of a PS3, but the majority of people would much rather save their HD a partition and save themselves some time, and boot apps up straight from the XMB.

I don't know how easy it is to have an app installed onto the XMB. Maybe Sony are the only oens that can do it, but recently Folding@Home was added in a firmware update, and that boots straight from an icon in the XMB.

If ScummVM could do the same that'd be fantastic, but I wonder how Broken Sword will look on a 720p HDTV ;)
dreamkin

Post by dreamkin »

Or you can probably run a build of ScummVM using otheros.bld

Many things are possible.
matneee

Post by matneee »

This might be old news to some, but there's a build of ScummVM that runs on ps3 under fedora5/yellow dog linux here (although it should also run on any PowerPC based Fedora5 linux)
http://www.sksapps.com/index.php?page=ps3.html
sid77

Post by sid77 »

an interesting twist would be a powerpc scummvm livecd booted as other os ;-)
Yixian

Post by Yixian »

I think the ScummVM team shuld focus on getting a version of ScummVm that runs straight from the XMB.

Getting it to run on a Linux build installed on a PS3 doesn't really seem in keeping with ScummVM ethos.

It'd probably be tough as prehistoric shit, but if you cracked it, I can guarentee you that you'd have like 50% coverage of the PS3 install base - think of how many people that'd open up to adventure games.

And donations ;)
Da_Duke2000

Post by Da_Duke2000 »

I have a succesfully running version of scummVM on my PS3, running on YDL. I do however, have a problem running sound.

I am currently testing LOOM and have perfect picture, but alas, no sound. I will be trying with both version soon. Basic, and VGA. If anyone could help men with my sound issue, please post back.
sid77

Post by sid77 »

Da_Duke2000 wrote:I do however, have a problem running sound.
I stop using YDL at version 4.1 of that distribution as it always had some sort of sound glitches and/or problems (note: I'm not saying it's an awful distro, just a little unlucky with sounds).
If your sound issue is limited to ScummVM only you can always try recompiling the program or modifying the configuration files, otherwise I suggest you to try something different and tested on the PS3 like Fedora Core or Gentoo.

ciao
Da_Duke2000

Post by Da_Duke2000 »

If you, or anyone, could confirm to me that Fedora Core 5, or even Gentoo can support sound on smummVM, I'd be appreciative. Or, if anyone on YDL has been able to troubleshoot to a successful running of scummVM with sound I'd like to hear about it.
Angelus3K

Post by Angelus3K »

I've been using ScummVM with no problems.

Although on FOTAQ there are no voices, but music and voices work fine on BASS and BS1.

EDIT: Does anyone know why the cutscenes for Broken Sword don't work? The video folder from the cutscene pack is in the BS directory along with the speech and music folders. Thats where its supposed to be right?
clem

Post by clem »

Angelus3K wrote: EDIT: Does anyone know why the cutscenes for Broken Sword don't work? The video folder from the cutscene pack is in the BS directory along with the speech and music folders. Thats where its supposed to be right?
missing built-in mpeg2 library?
Angelus3K

Post by Angelus3K »

clem wrote:
Angelus3K wrote: EDIT: Does anyone know why the cutscenes for Broken Sword don't work? The video folder from the cutscene pack is in the BS directory along with the speech and music folders. Thats where its supposed to be right?
missing built-in mpeg2 library?
So ScummVM 0.9.1 for FC5 doesnt have the mpeg library built in as standard? Why is that if two of the games require it?

Could you show me where to get the latest version of ScummVM with libmpeg built in? I don't know how to compile, I'm new to FC5 (which YDL is based on).

Thanks