PS3 Scummvm?

Discussion about other and unofficial ports of ScummVM

Moderator: ScummVM Team

fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

I would hope that using the PS3 "Move" gadget as a moues replacement is comparatively easy (but of course I don't know).

We would certainly welcome a legal PS3 port (i.e. not using a pirated SDK). If you know people working on such a thing, let them know that they can get in touch with us, we usually can help porters quite a bit :).
lousyphreak

Post by lousyphreak »

Hi there,

As I am the author of the PS3 port that is floating around I think I should add a few lines.

First things first:
I am fully aware that this port has in its current form no chance of entering the trunk.
I was contacted by sev once about plans to merge, but I explained the status of the SDK and got no more reply (understandable).

The PSL1GHT SDK is not yet ready to fully support a port, graphics is mostly missing and audio is still completely missing but I am watching the progress and plan to make a legal port.

Right now it is a bit of a hack, but it gave me quite some insight into the inner workings to port it to PSL1GHT
Angelus3K

Post by Angelus3K »

Hey lousyphreak,

Thanks for your work on the ps3 port, scummvm on ps3 would be amazing.

If you need any beta testers then let me know.

And yea Move can be used as a pointing device like the wii mote.
SuperDre

Post by SuperDre »

Angelus3K wrote:And yea Move can be used as a pointing device like the wii mote.
Hell, why not support the wiimote alltogether, hihi, it's only a bluetooth device which should work with the PS3..

I also read about the current version of PS1Light not supporting graphix/audio, but hopefully that will come soon, so an official port would be possible (with the chances of it being better supported rising then)..

Keep up the great work, all of you guys..
Angelus3K

Post by Angelus3K »

True lol but sensor bar cannot be plugged into ps3 and I wouldn't fancy having two candles on top of my tv for infared lol
SuperDre

Post by SuperDre »

Angelus3K wrote:True lol but sensor bar cannot be plugged into ps3 and I wouldn't fancy having two candles on top of my tv for infared lol
I just use a wireless sensorbar with the wii I've had on loan once from work because I have a projector and all devices are on the otherside of the room, so the cable is too short..
Angelus3K

Post by Angelus3K »

Oh cool. Forgot you could get wireless ones. Still tho I think tracking in PS Move is probably better than Wii mote and would be in theme to use Move on PS3 lol but I guess no reason both could be supported. Although at least the SDK would include libraries for Move implementation vs the Wii mote ;)
Angelus3K

Post by Angelus3K »

Just to keep you updated on the PS3 scene although I'm sure most of you have heard. The private keys have been leaked so we're looking at homebrew code running from XMB on any PS3 jailbroken or not in the near future.

Hopefully along with the open source SDK this is good news for a PS3 port of ScummVM!
SuperDre

Post by SuperDre »

Angelus3K wrote:Hopefully along with the open source SDK this is good news for a PS3 port of ScummVM!
Only one problem, yes with an opensource SDK it is possible to get an official PS3 port of ScummVM, BUT officially it can only run on a 'jailbroken' PS3 (or one that doesn't require signing of the package), because using any tool to sign the package is illegal as it's using sony properties (yes the original keys are property of Sony, and are needed to sign the package).
BUT since it's not illegal to put up the non-signed version, it is possible to leave the signing up to the user themselves.

Also the same goes for the official PSP-port, as the keys for signing packages that run on an unmodified PSP are also available now...

BUT if the ScummVM is against this and will not allow the opensource SDK based version to become an official port, then they are nothing but hypocrits, as then they should also stop providing iPhone/PSP/NintendoDS/PS2/Wii ports as they all only run on hacked devices just like the PS3 port, but I think the ScummVM team aren't such hypocrits.. hehe..

Keep up the great work, and I hope the OpenSource SDK will be good enough soon to be able to have it run a version of ScummVM so we can have an official port...
savagenick

Post by savagenick »

Hopefully now that custom firmware is available to the masses the ps3 port *should* become more of a priority, i.e. the unofficial sdk will get fasttracked for the benefit of the entire homebrew scene.

Ofc that was an entirely wishful statement but still lol. I agree that the whole key signing issue shouldn't affect whether the port becomes part of the official trunk as most of the other ports technically also require the same signing to be run on a "normal" system and they are all part of it. It is possible however that the team don't like the idea of releasing something that requires further modification to run even on custom firmware...
savagenick

Post by savagenick »

Ok apparently now it looks like the ps3 will be jailbroken so it can run unsigned code (source: geohot.com).

Surely that means the only issue is the illegal sdk usage now? (or will be)
Angelus3K

Post by Angelus3K »

savagenick wrote:Ok apparently now it looks like the ps3 will be jailbroken so it can run unsigned code (source: geohot.com).

The PS3 has been jailbroken since September running unsigned code.

What geohot is talking about in the link you posted is that we can now sign code ourselves so we can run our own signed code on any PS3 (jailbroken or not).

There is a legal SDK available so there is no problem there either.
savagenick

Post by savagenick »

Angelus3K wrote:
savagenick wrote:Ok apparently now it looks like the ps3 will be jailbroken so it can run unsigned code (source: geohot.com).

The PS3 has been jailbroken since September running unsigned code.

What geohot is talking about in the link you posted is that we can now sign code ourselves so we can run our own signed code on any PS3 (jailbroken or not).

There is a legal SDK available so there is no problem there either.
Yes sorry, I meant jailbroken without the need for a usb dongle. In my previous post I mentioned about the team possibly not wanting to release something that requires modification (i.e. signing) by others before it can be used, which is clearly still relevant if the custom firmware doesn't remove the checks (yet).
Angelus3K

Post by Angelus3K »

If all goes to plan you won't even need to jailbreak your PS3, the devs here will release a ScummVM PS3 port unsigned (or signed, however they feel about it) then the scene will just sign it and re-distribute it (or you can sign it yourself if your in the know).

Once its signed any PS3 jailbroken or not will run it.
SuperDre

Post by SuperDre »

Angelus3K wrote:If all goes to plan you won't even need to jailbreak your PS3, the devs here will release a ScummVM PS3 port unsigned (or signed, however they feel about it) then the scene will just sign it and re-distribute it (or you can sign it yourself if your in the know).

Once its signed any PS3 jailbroken or not will run it.
As far as I see it, there still is a need to somehow run a CFW just to be able to install seperate packages, but loading the CFW doesn't require jailbreaking anymore. I do hope that CFW isn't needed as I rather run homebrew without having to change the stock firmware.. (But then again I'm still at a stock 3.15 without jailbreak because of the OtherOS feature, but I recently bought myself a move because I could get it cheap and my hands are itching to be able to use it, oh oh)