PS3 Scummvm?

Discussion about other and unofficial ports of ScummVM

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Post Reply
User avatar
SuperDre
Posts: 157
Joined: Thu May 31, 2007 5:06 pm
Location: helmond.nl
Contact:

Post by SuperDre » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:38 pm

Stryfe wrote:With the demise of the old PS3 Linux installations, will anyone ever figure out a way to run ScummVM on PS3s?

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010/03/ ... 21-update/

I myself have a Slim, so I'm unaffected. But considering Linux was the only option for Phat owners, now nobody will be able to.
Well, the reason why Sony is removing the OtherOS is already working on a custom firmware to bring back OtherOS (which also means other groups will use his work to go for running illegal games), so Sony only made the problem worse for themselves by removing the option. Geohotz (the guy which is the reason) was never planning on going for a custom firmware, but because of this move he is. (well, how stupid can you get removing an option which according to them is only used by a 'few' people which are the people who can actually crack your system if they really set their minds to it but never had to because they could do with the system what they wanted to, but no they can't... Well those people are now turning their heads to crack the system completely so even your dumb neighbour can load the customfirmware and play illegal games on it)..

User avatar
Stryfe
Posts: 65
Joined: Thu Dec 25, 2008 8:27 pm

Post by Stryfe » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:45 am

Any system capable of running homebrew code, like any system supported by ScummVM, has also been used to pirate commercial software.

I don't know about people who support that stuff, but as someone who appreciates homebrew communities, the responsibility falls on the people misusing the hardware's firmware in that fashion.

I just want to run 'free' legal software apps, emulators, and the like.

User avatar
SuperDre
Posts: 157
Joined: Thu May 31, 2007 5:06 pm
Location: helmond.nl
Contact:

Post by SuperDre » Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:37 am

Stryfe wrote:I just want to run 'free' legal software apps, emulators, and the like.
Me too, and that was possible on the 'phat'PS3, but now Sony is taking that away from us, even though we paid for it.

User avatar
bobdevis
Posts: 563
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:52 am

Post by bobdevis » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:39 am

Stryfe wrote:Any system capable of running homebrew code, like any system supported by ScummVM, has also been used to pirate commercial software.
I think the situation with the PS3 is as follws;
-You can boot it in normal mode to play games, all software that runs need to have the right crypto signature.
-You can boot it in OtherOS mode. That starts the hypervisor. The hyperisor is correctly signed itself but allows other nonsigned software to run with limitations (no 3d).

What this hacker has done is broken the restictions of the hypervisor. Sony reacted by removing the OtherOS feature.

The compromised hypervisor allows full 3d capabilities for homebrew but that doesn't mean you can run PS3 games. The PS3 is still booted in the wrong mode.

The hacker claims his hack is not fundamentally patchable, but it remains to be seen if he can pull it off now that Sony has removed the OtherOS feature completely in a patch that is mandatory for new games.

It's time to get popcorn and enjoy the show ;)

User avatar
m_kiewitz
ScummVM Developer
Posts: 157
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:09 am
Location: Daventry

Post by m_kiewitz » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:18 am

SuperDre wrote:Well, the reason why Sony is removing the OtherOS is already working on a custom firmware to bring back OtherOS (which also means other groups will use his work to go for running illegal games), so Sony only made the problem worse for themselves by removing the option.
Not really. Geohot (the moron that actually is the cause for all this) used the officially supported Linux to hack the PS3. Now they are just removing the attack vector. He could have just told Sony what the security vulnerability was and they could have fixed it. But he wanted to hack the PS3 wide open (full GPU access and more). I don't know what he was smoking. Did he thought that Sony wouldn't do anything about that?

It's quite a shame, because in the "best" case there will be a custom firmware that let's one run linux (and sadly possibly warez and cheats). If he wouldn't have done anything, we would still have an officially supported linux. Also I bet Sony will never officially support Linux on following console generations anymore.

A really bad move for homebrew and open source movement.

User avatar
md5
ScummVM Developer
Posts: 2261
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2005 9:31 pm
Location: Athens, Greece

Post by md5 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:00 am

Is that the same Geohot that did the blackra1n jailbreak for the iPhone?

User avatar
Strangerke
ScummVM Developer
Posts: 333
Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:39 am
Location: Belgium

Post by Strangerke » Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:38 am

Yes, it's the same guy behind

User avatar
SuperDre
Posts: 157
Joined: Thu May 31, 2007 5:06 pm
Location: helmond.nl
Contact:

Post by SuperDre » Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:18 pm

m_kiewitz wrote:
SuperDre wrote:Well, the reason why Sony is removing the OtherOS is already working on a custom firmware to bring back OtherOS (which also means other groups will use his work to go for running illegal games), so Sony only made the problem worse for themselves by removing the option.
Not really. Geohot (the moron that actually is the cause for all this) used the officially supported Linux to hack the PS3. Now they are just removing the attack vector. He could have just told Sony what the security vulnerability was and they could have fixed it. But he wanted to hack the PS3 wide open (full GPU access and more). I don't know what he was smoking. Did he thought that Sony wouldn't do anything about that?

It's quite a shame, because in the "best" case there will be a custom firmware that let's one run linux (and sadly possibly warez and cheats). If he wouldn't have done anything, we would still have an officially supported linux. Also I bet Sony will never officially support Linux on following console generations anymore.

A really bad move for homebrew and open source movement.
It's Sony who is removing the option.. And it won't help anyway as the hackers will continue (in full glory now) to hack with the curren 3.15 firmware..
And just look at the PSP/iPhone/etc, it didn't have Linux at all and was also hacked..

You can also blame Sony, because if they just gave us access to the RSX in the first place, Geohot didn't need to try to hack it anyway (all geohot wants is homebrew).. But Sony restricted access (and even removed access after some people found access to it in FW2.10) so only developers would have access to it.

User avatar
m_kiewitz
ScummVM Developer
Posts: 157
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:09 am
Location: Daventry

Post by m_kiewitz » Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:44 pm

SuperDre wrote:It's Sony who is removing the option..
And what should they have done?
Fixing that one hole would have cost money, would have introduced speed issues and maybe game issues as well and the hacker(s) would have looked for other exploits inside the hypervisor using linux. Keeping OtherOS support would not have made any sense at all, especially because OtherOS didn't get them any money whatsoever.
And just look at the PSP/iPhone/etc, it didn't have Linux at all and was also hacked..
That's not the point. He used linux for hacking purposes instead of going any other way. Of course Sony removed official OtherOS support now. He could have hacked the slim instead, which would have made sense somehow. Instead he used the easiest way to hack in and was irritated by the fact that Sony removed support for it afterwards. That's quite dumb, if you ask me.
You can also blame Sony, because if they just gave us access to the RSX in the first place
So not giving homebrew people 100% of the hardware means it's fine to hack? I mean even if homebrew had access to 100% of the gpu, he would have still hacked it and used the hypervisor as cheap excuse.

Companies like Sony want to make money in the first place and I can fully understand that. If they opened the console completely, warez would have been there since day 1.
(all geohot wants is homebrew)
ScummVM worked just fine on ps3 - and it's homebrew. So homebrew was officially possible w/o any hacks on ps3 before. Actually he just wanted some shortlived internet fame, that's all. And ruined it for everyone else on the way there.

It's like someone from the ScummVM team removing all copy protections of all games, getting the project removed in no time and blaming the lawyers/companies afterwards. That wouldn't make sense as well.

User avatar
SuperDre
Posts: 157
Joined: Thu May 31, 2007 5:06 pm
Location: helmond.nl
Contact:

Post by SuperDre » Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:44 pm

especially because OtherOS didn't get them any money whatsoever.
I beg to differ, I know a lot of people where OtherOS was a big sellingpoint.. including myself.. Especially being able to run stuff like ScummVM on my console was a big reason..

And you are wrong, OtherOS without RSX is seriously holding back homebrew development, stuff like ScummVM are possible on OtherOS because it isn't 'graphix' intense, it doesn't really rely on a serious GPU, but something like a 3D game would. Also I disagree about Geohot using it as an excuse, as also all he did on the iPhone was getting them the ability to run homebrew.
Personally I agree that he should not have published his work until he really had something to show (like actual RSX access under OtherOS).
Let's not forget the older PS3 hacks where also 'savegame' exploits which didn't need OtherOS.. And the current OtherOS-hack still isn't suitable for anything and especially only usable for people who actually know what they are doing..
If a real exploit was found which actually made it possible for piracy then, and only then I might slightly agree, but till that time there wasn't any necessity to release a firmware only to remove this option..
Let's not forget those hackers don't have any problems continueing their work with firmware 3.15. You might even say it was stupid of Sony to release 3.21 because they could have just waited until the next firmware which had some real additions.

User avatar
garrythefish
Posts: 44
Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2009 2:22 pm

Post by garrythefish » Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:56 pm

Stryfe wrote:With the demise of the old PS3 Linux installations, will anyone ever figure out a way to run ScummVM on PS3s?

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010/03/ ... 21-update/

I myself have a Slim, so I'm unaffected. But considering Linux was the only option for Phat owners, now nobody will be able to.
I just compiled it myself, and that's quite easy in any Linux. I'm sure there instruction about. Plus you have the PowerPC Ubuntu or something in the download section.

Or just google more ;P

yaman
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed May 19, 2010 10:59 pm

Post by yaman » Tue May 25, 2010 8:23 pm

I got to check my system, see if I still have all my Os-es installed.

billb
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:34 pm

patch for Sixaxis

Post by billb » Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:47 pm

Without making any changes, I have scummvm 1.1.1 built and running on YDL 6.2 / PS3. Performance is fine with no scaling for 640x400 games or the default 2x for 320x200 games, and we have an external SPE scaler tool (fscaler) to handle scaling/filters without using the Cell's PPE, so that's not a problem.

I'm preparing a modified RPM package with a patch (to scummvm-1.1.1/backends/platform/sdl/events.cpp) to better support the Sixaxis controller -- in the regular Linux/SDL port the left analog stick works fine, but none of the other buttons.

Currently I'm considering this setup (open to suggestions of course):

Left analog stick - move the mouse pointer (no patch required)

X - left mouse button (you press this to move to the location of the pointer)
O - right mouse button (on the Monkey Island games this brings up your inventory)
PS - Menu (Load/Save/Options/Exit) for some games
Start - Pause game
L1 - Examine
L2 - Talk to
R1 - Inventory
R2 - Use
L3 - Skip game intro
R3 -Skip dialog text/speech
Triangle -> Esc (menu for some games)
Select -> Enter
Square -> Tab
D-pad -> Arrow keys (movement, menu for some games)

I'd also like to have the virtual keyboard available, but am not sure how to do that yet (enabling the option in ./configure gives me a make error so apparently there's more than that to it).

EDIT: I know us PS3 Linux users are fewer these days, but thought I'd share this anyway. Here's my patch for Sixaxis control on scummvm 1.1.1 (uses the above configuration):

http://pleasantfiction.ipower.com/ps3li ... axis.patch

User avatar
Kaminari
Posts: 274
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2005 2:25 am
Location: Paris, France
Contact:

Post by Kaminari » Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:53 am

Kudos for keeping it alive, because I have the feeling that Sony will sooner or later re-enable Linux support.

User avatar
Dark-Star
Posts: 137
Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2005 9:36 pm
Location: Reutlingen, GERMANY

Post by Dark-Star » Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:02 am

PS3Linux will probably not be needed anymore soon, since the PS3 has recently been hacked to support homebrew binaries.
At least that's what I hope... I didn't want to be stuck on 3.15 forever and updated just a few days ago.

-Darkstar

Post Reply