Xbox 360 port

Discussion about other and unofficial ports of ScummVM

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Tooplex

Post by Tooplex »

I dont even think theres a xbox port so i dont think so!
clem

Post by clem »

as far as I know you can't even run any homebrew on the 360 yet

there is an original Xbox port if I remember correctly, can't be officially/legally distributed though, since it's done using the official microsoft devkit or something
maxd

Post by maxd »

With the imminent release of the XNA Express tools, it will be completely possible to develop a release of ScummVM for the Xbox 360. Regrettably (at least for now), you will need to pay $99 for the privilege of playing homebrew on your 360, although I believe this is only a temporary measure.

I was actually wondering if anyone knew if there were any plans for a 360 port when the XNA tools come out, or if I should start one myself?

Max
Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

maxd wrote:With the imminent release of the XNA Express tools, it will be completely possible to develop a release of ScummVM for the Xbox 360. Regrettably (at least for now), you will need to pay $99 for the privilege of playing homebrew on your 360, although I believe this is only a temporary measure.

I was actually wondering if anyone knew if there were any plans for a 360 port when the XNA tools come out, or if I should start one myself?

Max
Yes, but $99 dollars is hardly anything. I paid much more than that for the Sony Playstation Yaroze system.
maxd

Post by maxd »

Jimbob wrote:Yes, but $99 dollars is hardly anything. I paid much more than that for the Sony Playstation Yaroze system.
I'm sorry, I wasn't implying that it wasn't worthwhile (and I'm sure a lot of people will make some great homebrew for the 360), I was just including all the information for interested parties.

Does anyone know if there are plans for a 360 version?

Max
Vinterstum
ScummVM Developer

Post by Vinterstum »

maxd wrote:
Jimbob wrote:Yes, but $99 dollars is hardly anything. I paid much more than that for the Sony Playstation Yaroze system.
I'm sorry, I wasn't implying that it wasn't worthwhile (and I'm sure a lot of people will make some great homebrew for the 360), I was just including all the information for interested parties.

Does anyone know if there are plans for a 360 version?

Max
Nothing specific. There usually isn't :)

What usually happens is that either an existing dev buys a system for whatever reasons, and figures that a ScummVM port for it would be a cool idea, or someone external ports it, and we may integrate him into the team.

It's not really relevant until 360 homebrew becomes viable in either case.
Jeff_Hanna

Post by Jeff_Hanna »

Vinterstum wrote:It's not really relevant until 360 homebrew becomes viable in either case.
Microsoft released the first public beta of XNA Game Studio Express last week. You can get it here.

The only thing that is missing is the ability to pump the code to the 360. You can run your code within Windows just fine, though. It's development ready.
Vinterstum
ScummVM Developer

Post by Vinterstum »

Jeff_Hanna wrote:
Vinterstum wrote:It's not really relevant until 360 homebrew becomes viable in either case.
Microsoft released the first public beta of XNA Game Studio Express last week. You can get it here.

The only thing that is missing is the ability to pump the code to the 360. You can run your code within Windows just fine, though. It's development ready.
Cool, I need to check it out.

From reading the readme though, I get the impression it's C# only for the time being. Which isn't too ScummVM friendly :). Even if it's extended to Managed C++ at some point, porting ScummVM to that would probably be a headache. But time will tell!
Jeff_Hanna

Post by Jeff_Hanna »

Unfortunately I don't think it's ever going to be anything but C# and Managed DirectX. I could be wrong on that, though.
JamesWoodcock

Post by JamesWoodcock »

XNA will expand over time though I would imagine so great for early developers :)
TommyBear

Post by TommyBear »

Hi guys... I'm one of the people that worked on the PSP port of ScummVM(though Joost and Paolo did all the work, I mostly ran the source repository and fixed a couple of things). I'm currently porting/rewriting ScummVM in C# for XNA with the help of a work friend. The project is called ScummVM-XNA and is located here:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/scummvmxna

The code is utterly broken and doesn't do anything useful yet. Any suggestions on a strategy to the translation side of things would be nice. I'm currently doing this brute force.

On top of things, a C# translation will not easily get updates or fixes from the main ScummVM project. Then there is actual size of the ScummVM code base. I'm mostly porting FoTAQ at the moment just to keep myself sane.

Cya!
Vinterstum
ScummVM Developer

Post by Vinterstum »

Why C# and not C++/CLR? I've been meaning to look at the latter for a bit, it would mean just another backend and not a complete rewrite (though you'd need to handle things like varargs a bit differently).
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

And considering the fact that ScummVM works on 120MHz processors, there should be enough power for Xbox360 to run it in CLR mode smoothly.

But translate 460,000 lines of code and maintain it....

Eugene
glokidd

Post by glokidd »

sev wrote:And considering the fact that ScummVM works on 120MHz processors, there should be enough power for Xbox360 to run it in CLR mode smoothly.
I've even actually gotten ScummVM to run on a really old pentium 90 :o You guys are the masters :)
TommyBear

Post by TommyBear »

I think you are forgetting that you cannot run managed C++ on XNA at the moment. If I could do managed C++, I wouldn't be doing this obviously... I've already mentioned all those issues.

Like I said, at the moment I'm porting FoTAQ to C#, the other guy is port BASS. The strategy at the moment has been to write the backend, and port the smaller engines.

We're leaving the launcher alone at the moment and instead hacking together a quick menu to launch game and requiring the user supply specific games in a specific folder name to get around the detection/gui issue.

Tommy.