Help with N64 port of SCUMMVM?

Discussion about other and unofficial ports of ScummVM

Moderator: ScummVM Team

N64MAN

Help with N64 port of SCUMMVM?

Post by N64MAN »

Hi everyone,

I need the help of the SCUMMVM community!

I am using Windows 7 and Cygwin (my regular laptop is a macbook so I am using an older Windows machine) to try to convert the game-data of my Lucasarts games to SCUMMVM files that the N64 can read.

I've read the README.N64 file over and over and I still cannot figure out how to use Cygwin to convert the files into .z64 files! I have the genromfs and the ucon64 plugins installed as well!

I used to use Cmd Prompt in the day but its been a while and I have little to no experience with Linux.

Particularly, I am trying to convert my favourite games, Full Throttle and Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade to N64 files.

A step by step process may be what I need!

Any takers?

Or, would anyone know where I can download the premade patched files?

Cheers and thanks to everyone that has worked on SCUMMVM!
N64MAN

Post by N64MAN »

by the way I am using a Nintendo 64 console with Everdrive 64 v3
digitall
ScummVM Developer

Post by digitall »

The N64 README on this is pretty complete and self explanatory. You need to do the commands listed after [EXAMPLE] in order as it describes:
https://github.com/scummvm/scummvm/blob ... README.N64

Basically you generate a ROMFS image which is a disk image of the required datafiles and the use the "cat" command to join this with the N64 binary to form a full image which is then checksummed with the ucon64 tool.

You will not find any premade ROMFS images for this as it would violate Rule #0:
http://forums.scummvm.org/viewtopic.php?t=17
N64MAN

Post by N64MAN »

digitall wrote:The N64 README on this is pretty complete and self explanatory. You need to do the commands listed after [EXAMPLE] in order as it describes:
https://github.com/scummvm/scummvm/blob ... README.N64

Basically you generate a ROMFS image which is a disk image of the required datafiles and the use the "cat" command to join this with the N64 binary to form a full image which is then checksummed with the ucon64 tool.

You will not find any premade ROMFS images for this as it would violate Rule #0:
http://forums.scummvm.org/viewtopic.php?t=17
No worries I understand the Rules of the forum. I have the ROMs already made from my disc games anyway.

I guess I was just wondering how the directory system works. Under the Gamedata commands, is the readme file referring to the folder where the game data files are, or is it looking for a file within the folder itself.

Another question, how exactly do you install the ucon64 plugin into Cygwin? Do you simply dump the files into the .bin directory of Cygwin, or is there an actual installation method? I have read the readme file attached but it is not user friendly at all?

I guess I will get there eventually...
digitall
ScummVM Developer

Post by digitall »

OK.

I think you should read a basic primer on Unix / Linux commands or do a "man <command name>" on each to understand each command, rather than executing it by rote since this will vary based on game, your directory structure etc. and the commands are _very much_ examples which you will need to adjust significantly.

I assume you are referring to:
<snip>
mkdir GAMEDATA
cp -a ../games/mygamedata ./GAMEDATA
genromfs -f ./ROMFS.img -d ./GAMEDATA -V romname
</snip>

This example is just three commands as follows:
mkdir GAMEDATA - This makes a new directory called GAMEDATA in the current working directory
cp -a ../games/mygamedata ./GAMEDATA - This copies (with the archive bit which ensures recursive copy, preserving all permissions) from the folder above your working directory and then down into a folder called games and a game folder called mygamedata, the output of the copy is into the new GAMEDATA folder in the current working directory
genromfs -f ./ROMFS.img -d ./GAMEDATA -V romname - This uses the genromfs binary (Generate ROMFS image files) to output a new image file to current working directory's ROMFS.img from the directory GAMEDATA in the current working directory with the volume id of "romname"

You are expected to tailor these commands for your own system and layout...
digitall
ScummVM Developer

Post by digitall »

ucon64 is not a "plugin", it is just a binary or source code application:
http://ucon64.sourceforge.net/#ucon64

You can either download the source code and compile using Cygwin's GCC toolchain or you can download a precompiled binary for Cygwin or native for Win32 (from MinGW) ... either should work to "checksum" the final image.
digitall
ScummVM Developer

Post by digitall »

I wouldn't say that the README for N64 is not user-friendly, but getting things working for the more "embedded" targets such as N64, Dreamcast and Pandora tends to require a higher level of technical capability as just getting the game data onto the device can require quite a bit of command line or device specific tools.

If you want to just play games easily, just run ScummVM on your Windows desktop machine.
N64MAN

Post by N64MAN »

Thanks digitall, I will try again. Your pointers are very welcome.

Its been a while since I've done MS DOS cmd pmt so I will brush up on my skills.