Keyboard hyper sensitive

Discussion about other and unofficial ports of ScummVM

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Tvel4

Keyboard hyper sensitive

Post by Tvel4 »

Hello! Been trying to figure this out-- maybe someone might know the answer. I have scummVM running on my raspberry pi-- I have a wireless keyboard hooked up through USB but when I type-- say for instance in King's Quest 3- keystrokes are extremely sensitive-- so if I type a letter "h" -- 5 h's may pop up in my text box. It makes it really annoying trying to play txt based games. It doesn't always type multiple letters per keystroke but it does a lot of the time. Sometimes it depends how quick I hit a key. Any thoughts on why it might be doing this? Any solutions, suggestions or fixes? I appreciate the help!

Tom
Tvel4

Post by Tvel4 »

I tried a different keyboard and a bunch of other games but didn't have much luck there. Could it be a setting in ScummVm maybe? Maybe a resolution problem? My ScummVM games look and sound perfect but as soon as you start typing things go downhill. Has anyone had his problem? If I write "look" it comes out "lllllooooooooooookkkk" heh, not fun-!
LegendforHire

Post by LegendforHire »

Hi there.

I don't know much about Raspberry Pi, haven't used one yet, but the problem you describe sounds like either the software or the os isn't allowing a delay for the keyboard input.

Do you have the same problem elsewhere in other software on your Pi? If so then there must be a setting or command somewhere that will adjust the keyboard delay (I remember that there was/is such a setting in Windows).
Tvel4

Post by Tvel4 »

Hi, thanks for the response! I haven't had keyboard problems in other applications i'm using on the Pi-- but perhaps there is an option to control the keyboard delay within the scumm settings. That gives me something to go on at least-- I'll see what I can find. Thanks again for weighing in.

Tom
digitall
ScummVM Developer

Post by digitall »

Tvel4: The issue you are describing is the keyboard "Typematic Delay and Rate". On PCs, the default was configured in the BIOS (and then overridden by OS settings), but the RPi does not have that kind of BIOS.

Assuming you have Stock Raspbian Jessie with X and you haven't been fiddling with any of the low level bootloader settings, I would suggest that you may need to check the X.Org Keyboard Settings if you running ScummVM under X, rather than with SDL to the Framebuffer.

See:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php?ti ... y_and_rate

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 91&t=69467

I should say that I doubt the issue is within ScummVM directly, although it may be associated with the SDL Keyboard settings requested in the RPi backend. If you are comfortable with C++, I suggest you take a look at the code in scummvm/backend/events.
Palmer

Post by Palmer »

I'm agree with digitall