UWP (Universal Windows Platform) Port

Discussion about other and unofficial ports of ScummVM

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Fable Son

Post by Fable Son »

I love this app!

It worked perfectly in a while. But now it suddenly stopped working. It crashes on startup.

I've tried restarting the phone. And I have also deleted the app and install it again. But it has not helped anything.

My phone is a Lumia 950XL

-And now it works again... That's so wird... 😐
patters

Post by patters »

Nice job on releasing this. I have noticed that on Windows 10 for PC on Surface 3 (tablet mode) this app loses touch input after switching to another app. Also the controls at the bottom of the screen for Monkey Island vanish too once the app has been backgrounded.

I also have the issue that the right click isn't working, even trying tap and hold, back button, pinch zoom etc.

I think it would be useful to define the back button as the Esc key since many games need that. On a Surface without keyboard attached, the only way to skip past these points (e.g. to start a game on Monkey Island) is to switch to the full onscreen keyboard which has the Esc key. That would not be possible on a Windows 10 phone.
Chriz

Post by Chriz »

Thank you very much Lybra for this port.
I waited many years for Scummvm on my Lumia!

I have got a Lumia 1520.
I have the problem, that zoom-in/zoom-out do not work. So I can not really use the current version.

If you need any help, you can contact me.
mephisto.71

Post by mephisto.71 »

Lybra, thanks a lot for your work so far. I waited so long for a port to windows phone!

I can confirm the problem described by Chriz:

On my Lumia 640 I'm also unable to get any reaction when trying zoom-gestures on the display. Sound, graphics and control work fine for me. But as I can not skip the intro nor save the game nor exit via app, I have to kill it with loss of all game progress, since last autosave.

When the basic problems are solved, it would be nice, if game saves from the original windows port could be imported (i.e. by placing in a certain folder on sd-card). But that's only nice to have.

Tested with "The Secret of Monkey Island (VGA/DOS/German)" on my phone:
Model: Lumia 640 3G Dual SIM
Build: 10.0.10586.164
Firmware: 02177.00000.15184.36002
Hardware-Revision: 2.1.2.0

Keep on with your excellent work an let me know, if you need additional information.
Lybra

Post by Lybra »

Thanks for all your input and sorry for being unable to respond accordingly. Unfortunately, my job is eating away all the time I have at the moment.

I'll keep you updated when things are getting better.
Lanowen

Post by Lanowen »

I have a 950XL, and am running the build, the people that say the App crashes on launch is because it is getting a 0xC0000194 error, app took to long to launch. If the app takes longer than 6 seconds to respond after the splash screen the OS will close the app. App doesn't crash when running through the debugger, but when trying to launch unattached it will get killed if it takes too long to init.

Seems like there is a way to use an Extended Splash Screen using XAML layouts, but this doesn't seem trivial to integrate. I am not too familiar with .net windows applications or SDL. So I am still investigating a good solution. We need to have an intermediate loading screen while the App initializes, but there is some single thread bullshit making it difficult without changing shared code.

Also found some shitty C code in ThemeEngine::loadDefaultXML that doesn't work on Windows Phone, crashes when loading Classic Theme. It's an easy fix though.

Found that the Zoom gestures work, but are a little finicky. Had to do it on a specific diagonal angle.

I'll post again if I get the loading fixed.
Lanowen

Post by Lanowen »

I've got it loading, but playing Curse of Monkey Island I've run into other crashes (which mind you, happen 25-50 minutes apart, but same spot in code)...that might be SDL2 specific, or might be part of the old C stuff in Scumm. Either way, I am really tempted to just rewrite things to work better in c++11. I am going to go ham on this code, its 2016, let's get malloc out of here.
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Post by LordHoto »

Lanowen wrote:I've got it loading, but playing Curse of Monkey Island I've run into other crashes (which mind you, happen 25-50 minutes apart, but same spot in code)...that might be SDL2 specific, or might be part of the old C stuff in Scumm. Either way, I am really tempted to just rewrite things to work better in c++11. I am going to go ham on this code, its 2016, let's get malloc out of here.
Please be aware the chances of bringing C++11 code upstream are close to zero at this point. We simply still support platforms for which no C++11 compilers exist. Platform specific code might be an exception, since there one might use C++11.

At any rate, crashes should really not be related to us using pre-C++11 code. If you experience crashes, you should try to use a debugger to track where you experience a crash. And then use this to find the reason for the bug.
rootfather
ScummVM Lead

Post by rootfather »

Lybra, have you checked the recently released Desktop App Converter?

https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/w ... es/desktop

Maybe this makes porting ScummVM to the Windows UWP platform a lot easier?
Lybra

Post by Lybra »

rootfather wrote:Lybra, have you checked the recently released Desktop App Converter?

https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/w ... es/desktop

Maybe this makes porting ScummVM to the Windows UWP platform a lot easier?
This is just converting desktop apps into an AppX container, so you can publish it into the store. While the core team might be interested in this, it won't do any good for the UWP port. It won't run on phones, xbox one, holo lens etc.
rootfather
ScummVM Lead

Post by rootfather »

Thank you for your replay, Lybra.

I interpreted the statement "run on all Windows 10 devices" as "...including Xbox and Smartphones". :)
Szymon_Zy

Post by Szymon_Zy »

Lumia 830 redstone build no ingame menu. Zoom does not do anything. I can't start monkey island II because of copy protection.
Szymon_Zy

Post by Szymon_Zy »

Redstone mobile 14322 build - ScummVM hangs with black screen on game start. For the first time it quits to desktop, on next try hangs with black screen and you have to close app.
Luilly

Post by Luilly »

Lybra wrote:Thanks for all your input and sorry for being unable to respond accordingly. Unfortunately, my job is eating away all the time I have at the moment.

I'll keep you updated when things are getting better.
Hello Lybra.

Any update?
Thank you for your effort.

Regards.
Luilly

Post by Luilly »

Hello Lybra.

As some users have reported, it is very difficult to show the menu or the keyboard with touch gestures (Zoom In and Zoom Out). I have to do the gesture too many times to be able to show the menu.
I have tested it in a Chuwi Tablet and in a Lumia 640 Mobile.

Thank you.
Regards!