nScumm - rewrite of ScummVM in C# for Windows Phone

Discussion about other and unofficial ports of ScummVM

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Luilly

Post by Luilly »

Hello.

Scemino and Lybra are making the same:porting SCUMM to Windows 10.
They are ussing different technologies but final result should be similar.

Regards.
scemino

Post by scemino »

Luilly wrote:Hello.

Regards.
The difference is: Lybra is porting scummvm to Win10, I'm doing a rewrite of the scumm engine in c#. It means that I actually support only scumm lucasart games, Lybra's work will support all the games of scummvm. Maybe I will add other game engines in the future, it depends of your needs.

I had a lot of troubles to update nscumm to windows store, but now it's done: you can now use your german, french, italian or spanish games.

I found a solution to fix the "no sound" issue too, it will be in the next release. Don't hesitate to contact me for your feedbacks.

Luilly thanks for your help, you can send me pull requests if you want to fix or add features, this project needs developers to be expanded.

Feel free to support this project with a good review in the windows store ;-)
Luilly

Post by Luilly »

scemino wrote:

Regards.
The difference is: Lybra is porting scummvm to Win10, I'm doing a rewrite of the scumm engine in c#. It means that I actually support only scumm lucasart games, Lybra's work will support all the games of scummvm. Maybe I will add other game engines in the future, it depends of your needs.

I had a lot of troubles to update nscumm to windows store, but now it's done: you can now use your german, french, italian or spanish games.

I found a solution to fix the "no sound" issue too, it will be in the next release. Don't hesitate to contact me for your feedbacks.

Luilly thanks for your help, you can send me pull requests if you want to fix or add features, this project needs developers to be expanded.

Hello Scemino.

Thank you for your clariffication.

I will be glad to help you with nScumm and I will try to send you some pull requests, but I will need a lot of time and effort to understand how the project is organised and what each class does.

When you release the new vesion with sound, I will review positively nScumm.

Regards.
PegaX

Post by PegaX »

scemino wrote:

Regards.

Hello Scemino,

good to see your progress with nScumm and the missing audio issue. Are there any plans / ideas to access the console / keyboard / save menue via touchscreen (mobile phone) e.g. to overload the back key and / or volume keys?

Thanx and Gretings
PegaX
scemino

Post by scemino »

PegaX wrote: Hello Scemino,

good to see your progress with nScumm and the missing audio issue. Are there any plans / ideas to access the console / keyboard / save menue via touchscreen (mobile phone) e.g. to overload the back key and / or volume keys?

Thanx and Gretings
PegaX
Yes, my first idea was to use the back button to show the same main menu used with my Linux version, the problem is that this menu does not support the touchpad, my second idea was to show a small appbar in the bottom of the screen with several buttons, this solution is more win10 friendly but I don't like the idea to hide even a small area of the screen... So I don't know yet... Let me know what you think, it's not too late. And as you ask what do you recommend to do a right mouse click with a touchpad? Use the camera button or Tap held for >0.5s without movement and for multitouch Hold down one finger, tap with second like the android version of scummvm.

@Lybra thank you, your help will be very welcome
PegaX

Post by PegaX »

scemino wrote:
PegaX wrote: Hello Scemino,

Thanx and Gretings
PegaX
Yes, my first idea was to use the back button to show the same main menu used with my Linux version, the problem is that this menu does not support the touchpad, my second idea was to show a small appbar in the bottom of the screen with several buttons, this solution is more win10 friendly but I don't like the idea to hide even a small area of the screen... So I don't know yet... Let me know what you think, it's not too late. And as you ask what do you recommend to do a right mouse click with a touchpad? Use the camera button or Tap held for >0.5s without movement and for multitouch Hold down one finger, tap with second like the android version of scummvm.

@Lybra thank you, your help will be very welcome
I like the idea of the android version with the multitouch to bring up the menu. Also it is not unfavorable to have the same behavoir on different mobile systems. The camera button is not present at all devices, but can be additionally bring up also the menu (why not ;) ) For the back button I like the "ESC" action in the android version.

You can autohide the menu after a few seconds when the user do nothing or just close the menu with the back key (ESC) or pressing the camera button again.

Greetings
PegaX
Stargazer

Post by Stargazer »

scemino wrote:Thank you for your comments and feedbacks!
And now the good news is, nSCUMM is available on Windows Store: https://www.microsoft.com/store/apps/9nblggh5x9t9
Awww doesn't work on my Lumia 640 :( tried out monkey island and it comes up the "lucasarts" title screen but doesn't go past it, no other games seems to work either, was really looking forward to trying it as scummvm on my phone would have been great to play on the bus ^^

Hopefully you are still working on it and later versions might work for me :)

Just thought I would let you know :)
Luilly

Post by Luilly »

Stargazer wrote:
And now the good news is, nSCUMM is available on Windows Store: https://www.microsoft.com/store/apps/9nblggh5x9t9
Awww doesn't work on my Lumia 640 :( tried out monkey island and it comes up the "lucasarts" title screen but doesn't go past it, no other games seems to work either, was really looking forward to trying it as scummvm on my phone would have been great to play on the bus ^^

Hello.

It seems similar which happened to me. Game freezes after start.
Luilly wrote:Hello Scemino.

I have compiled your code and I have found that Full Throttle (DOS spanish) freezes.
I remove the line 57 from NullMixer.cs it works:
//_audioSampleProvider.Read(_samples, _samples.Length);

I don't know if it can helps you.

Regards.
Stargazer

Post by Stargazer »

Luilly wrote:
Stargazer wrote:

Hello.

It seems similar which happened to me. Game freezes after start.
Luilly wrote:Hello Scemino.

I have compiled your code and I have found that Full Throttle (DOS spanish) freezes.
I remove the line 57 from NullMixer.cs it works:
//_audioSampleProvider.Read(_samples, _samples.Length);

I don't know if it can helps you.

Regards.
Aww cool, unfortunately I don't know how to do any of that myself :P
Echo

Can't detect games

Post by Echo »

First of all I want to thank you so much for this! :). Ok, so, I've got the emulator from the store, but it won't detect the games, it says "Scanning games..." but nothings pops up. I've opened the file explorer and tried taping on the game files and it opens the emu but then it crashes, the games works on scummvm on my laptop, so there's nothing wrong with them. My phone is nokia lumia 630 and it's running windows 10 mobile 10581.
Echo

Got something to work! ☺

Post by Echo »

The emulator finally recognized a dos game I've tried, but what are the controls? There's no on screen keys and pressing the back button won we do anything. Are the controls on touch devices not implemented yet? O_O
scemino

Post by scemino »

Can you specify the games not detected? The language and the platform (Amiga, PC, Mac, AtariST, etc)?
Echo

Post by Echo »

scemino wrote:Can you specify the games not detected? The language and the platform (Amiga, PC, Mac, AtariST, etc)?
Check your pm's. Btw, the language is English :)
Stargazer

Post by Stargazer »

Echo wrote:
scemino wrote:Can you specify the games not detected? The language and the platform (Amiga, PC, Mac, AtariST, etc)?
Check your pm's. Btw, the language is English :)
Could we possibly keep it in the thread? I still have the same issue with my Lumia 640 (not going past the lucasarts screen) and would be nice to see any solutions that might pop up ^^
Echo

Post by Echo »

Of course! I just thought it would be best if I don't post too much. So here it "Monkey island 2 lechucks revenge, it seems that it works but I have to write something for the game to go on and I'm not able to write anything. And there seem to be no controls, how are we supposed to play? I've tried some games again, like maniac mansion, the extension is .LFL and now it's working, maybe I've got wrong files the first time? So, sorry for the wrong news : |. Btw, when I'm touching the screen the cursor is a little to the left, I'm stuck at the first scene of the game, but it works!thanks!". "Dy of the tentacle" crashes after the fish jumps out of the water. And "Beneath a Steel Sky" and King's Quest 1: quest for the crown" still don't show up im nSCUMM, I don't know if it's something wrong with them, they work on scummvm 1.7.0 . Does Scummvm play all the dos games