Harmattan port?

Discussion about other and unofficial ports of ScummVM

Moderator: ScummVM Team

johnsamey

Harmattan port?

Post by johnsamey »

Couldn't think of any better area for asking this, but is there any chance for a Harmattan port? Nokia has been releasing N9s in selected countries and some lucky developers have had N950s for a while.
tsoliman
ScummVM Developer

Post by tsoliman »

Not unless someone who owns one of those devices takes a stab at it, unfortunately.
I might be worth it to ask for this on a meego forum as it is likely to contain more meego devs than this one.
tsoliman
ScummVM Developer

Post by tsoliman »

Out of curiousity, can you post the output of the following command:

Code: Select all

cat /proc/component_version
In your N9 and/or N950 (and tell me what output is what)
johnsamey

Post by johnsamey »

tsoliman wrote:Out of curiousity, can you post the output of the following command:

Code: Select all

cat /proc/component_version
In your N9 and/or N950 (and tell me what output is what)
Checked this on an early version of N950(don't ask) and there isn't /proc/component_version.
Same thing on N9, checked with file manager.
tsoliman
ScummVM Developer

Post by tsoliman »

Can you check from a command line?

The file manager is not a good way to check. The file manager in my N810 cannot even get to / but only to specific directories like ~ and /media/mmc1 and /media/mmc2 and so on.
johnsamey

Post by johnsamey »

Checked in terminal on N9 and nope, /proc/component_version isn't there. Root through ssh on N950, same thing.

Also saw in the other thread that a port could already be possibly(though unlikely?) coming. Do you btw have some kind of an estimation how much work would a port need? Is the latest Symbian version done on QT or native S^3?
tsoliman
ScummVM Developer

Post by tsoliman »

johnsamey wrote: Do you btw have some kind of an estimation how much work would a port need?
There is no way for me to estimate how long a port for a platform that I am not familiar with, that I don't even have access to the hardware to, much less an sdk, will take.

I guess the first step is to find someone who actually owns this hardware, has some basic programming skills, has access to the SDK and has compiled a simple already-ported C++ package from source. That person could then look at what was done to "port" that package by comparing the upstream version of the source code with the ported source code. That will give you a basic starting point on how much work was needed to port that application.

One other easy thing to try is to try to install the current package (at your own risk) to your own device via dpkg (which means you can always remove it if it doesn't work). This is based on the theoretical "Harmattan is Maemo 6" so it may just work like the N900 "just works" even though my port to it is a Maemo 4.1.2 package. (it is the same maemo 4.1.2 deb for N800/N810/N900)
johnsamey wrote:Is the latest Symbian version done on QT or native S^3?
I am assuming you're asking about the Symbian port of ScummVM.
If so, I suggest you ask that in ScummVM SymbianOS Port forum
johnsamey

Post by johnsamey »

tsoliman wrote: There is no way for me to estimate how long a port for a platform that I am not familiar with, that I don't even have access to the hardware to, much less an sdk, will take.

I guess the first step is to find someone who actually owns this hardware, has some basic programming skills, has access to the SDK and has compiled a simple already-ported C++ package from source. That person could then look at what was done to "port" that package by comparing the upstream version of the source code with the ported source code. That will give you a basic starting point on how much work was needed to port that application.

One other easy thing to try is to try to install the current package (at your own risk) to your own device via dpkg (which means you can always remove it if it doesn't work). This is based on the theoretical "Harmattan is Maemo 6" so it may just work like the N900 "just works" even though my port to it is a Maemo 4.1.2 package. (it is the same maemo 4.1.2 deb for N800/N810/N900)
Yeah, could be worth it to try the old Maemo packages. The only problem could be the missing HW keyboard. Can't remember did the Maemo version need it. In case everything else fails, I could give a shot at porting. Though I already get to code enough doing harmattan platform development :wink:

edit: quickly checked the old package, some dependencies missing :(
tsoliman
ScummVM Developer

Post by tsoliman »

checked the old package, some dependencies missing
Can you be more specific?
johnsamey

Post by johnsamey »

Wow! Had to try on N950, the only missing dependency was libsdl1.2 and after installing that I got Scummvm installed and running(no games though).

No icon in the icon grid, but running from command line works and some files went into strange places. The resolution seemed to be a little off, tried to switch 2x resolution and now the app won't start anymore. "WARNING: SDL_SetVideoMode says we can't switch to that mode (No video mode large enough for 960x600)!"
Will do some more experimenting later.
tsoliman
ScummVM Developer

Moved to "Other Ports"

Post by tsoliman »

Moved topic to "Other Ports" since it is clear that it is unrelated to Maemo or Symbian.
Orologiaio

Post by Orologiaio »

Meego Harmattan is actually Maemo 6, which got renamed by Nokia for branding purposes.

I'd really like to see it ported to Harmattan/N9. Similarities with Fremantle/N900 are many from what I could understand reading various forums. I hope somebody will do it soon (unfortunately I'm incapable of such a task).
tsoliman
ScummVM Developer

Post by tsoliman »

Orologiaio wrote:I'd really like to see it ported to Harmattan/N9.
You are (obviously) not alone. But like I said above:
tsoliman wrote:Not unless someone who owns one of those devices takes a stab at it, unfortunately.
I might be worth it to ask for this on a meego forum as it is likely to contain more meego devs than this one.
As for the similarities:
Orologiaio wrote:Similarities with Fremantle/N900 are many from what I could understand reading various forums.
This is a situation where they are not the same.
A binary compiled (with statically linked libraries) for an N770 (Maemo 2) will run in a N800 and an N810 (Maemo 4) and an N900 (Maemo 5) but won't run for Harmattan/N9.

An example of this is the old deb package for ScummVM 1.2.1 available from the downloads page.

Almost-similar in this case is not similar enough.
Orologiaio

Post by Orologiaio »

tsoliman wrote:
Orologiaio wrote:I'd really like to see it ported to Harmattan/N9.
You are (obviously) not alone. But like I said above:
tsoliman wrote:Not unless someone who owns one of those devices takes a stab at it, unfortunately.
I'm doing that too ;)
tsoliman wrote:As for the similarities:
Orologiaio wrote:Similarities with Fremantle/N900 are many from what I could understand reading various forums.
This is a situation where they are not the same.
A binary compiled (with statically linked libraries) for an N770 (Maemo 2) will run in a N800 and an N810 (Maemo 4) and an N900 (Maemo 5) but won't run for Harmattan/N9.

An example of this is the old deb package for ScummVM 1.2.1 available from the downloads page.

Almost-similar in this case is not similar enough.
I've talked about similarities because I read this.

There I found a ScummVM package which can apparently be installed and run on N9 (but it also seems to be unusable at the moment). That made me think that architectural difficulties could be, at least partially, be already overcome. I still didn't try the package myself because I didn't enable developer mode on my device yet (so I have no terminal) and the package is installable and can be launched only via terminal (I found pointless to do so for an unusable package). I also tried to contact the author of the package, I'm waiting for an answer from him.

I don't want to argue with you, obviously. I don't wanna be the whiny, arrogant forum user who complains and wants everything, now or possibly before than now. If I can in any way help, for what I can, I'm willing and would be very glad to help. For the moment, what I can do is being vocal and try to make some noise to bring attention to the subject ;)

EDIT:
I've been re-reading the thread I linked above, I didn't notice you were the same ScummVM developer who posted there! :oops:
I sent a message to smoku, the user who created the package I mentioned... let's hope he answers me. Did you talk to him in the past about this? I'm doing all this writing because it seemed to me that those posts by Estel "killed" that thread, nobody posted anything after his two "hostile" comments about an Harmattan port of ScummVM :P
threeheaded

Post by threeheaded »

I've rebuilt scummvm with SDL support and everything seems to work fine. I ran DOT with sound, voice and fun :)

I'm trying to understand how can I popup virtual keyboard since N9 doesn't a have physical one. If I could map, for example, a long "click/tap" to scummvm's virtual keyboard popup that would be great.