Scummvm 0.13 coming to psp?

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's PSP (PlayStation Portable) port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Tithe AD

Post by Tithe AD »

Jinx1337 wrote:
Tithe AD wrote:Thx for this new build no crashes to report on discworld.But,atlough i can now access the save and load menus i still cant seem to be able to save.No matter what button i use on the green tick on the save screen,nothing happens apart from taking me back into game:/

Have i missed something here?When i check the load files there are no save files to select.:(
Help me please.:D
You have to give the save file a name (use the OSK keyboard by pressing SELECT).

You can't just leave it blank.

If that doesn't work, try setting the savegame path in ScummVM's options.
Ofcourse,its so easy to overlook this, must be the old age creeping up on me.Thx for the reminder m8,works perfect now.:D
Jinx1337

Post by Jinx1337 »

Hah! As you know, I've been searching high and low for a replacement of my my original Bud Tucker: Double Trouble (Polish version) CD. I couldn't find one for days, so despite my copy being physically cracked in one place, I put the disc in my drive.

And to my surprise, all the required data copied just fine!

So yes, I just wanted to confirm that the game is perfectly working under the newest SVN build!
A very good game too!

Now, I'll test that Discworld 2 I promised days ago.

Cheers~!
Pix2

Post by Pix2 »

I've just compiled the latest 13.0 build. 14.0 doesn't compile for the PSP at the moment so I'll probably steer clear of that for a good while. I've added Kyrandia back in now so everything should be there.

I've also done an MT-32 soundtrack this morning for Monkey Island 1 VGA floppy version which is something I've wanted to get around to for ages. It leaves in the adlib sound effects and just replaces the music. I've only tried it out on Melee Island but it looks to be working ok. I'll probably have a go at the EGA version of Loom next.
Jinx1337

Post by Jinx1337 »

Pix2 wrote:I've just compiled the latest 13.0 build. 14.0 doesn't compile for the PSP at the moment so I'll probably steer clear of that for a good while. I've added Kyrandia back in now so everything should be there.

I've also done an MT-32 soundtrack this morning for Monkey Island 1 VGA floppy version which is something I've wanted to get around to for ages. It leaves in the adlib sound effects and just replaces the music. I've only tried it out on Melee Island but it looks to be working ok. I'll probably have a go at the EGA version of Loom next.
Neat!

Wonder if it sounds better than the VGA CD version...

edit:

Just checked it out and noticed that Curse of Monkey Island doesn't work on this version (it perfectly works on the 0.12.0 stable release I also have installed).

It neither worked on the previously compiled version, but I thought it's just a side effect of you removing Kyrandia or something.

It gives shows the ScummVM's console and reports an error of a missing file "musdisk1.bin" or something similiar.
I can post a screenshot if you want.

That, and seeing that the modern themne isn't compiled in the SVN ;) (some people care! yup!), I think it'd be good if you put your 0.12.0 version archive back on the site, if only just untill the 0.13.0 goes "official".
Last edited by Jinx1337 on Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

Pix2 wrote:I've just compiled the latest 13.0 build. 14.0 doesn't compile for the PSP at the moment so I'll probably steer clear of that for a good while.
What do you mean "it doesn't compile for the PSP"? Can you tell us exactly what's wrong?
Jinx1337

Post by Jinx1337 »

That's what I'm getting with COMI using 0.13 from the very beginning Pix began compiling it to the PSP.

edit:

Aside of that issue, I noticed that Discworld's working relatively faster now! Or is that just my imagination?
I gotta dig up that Discworld 2 CD once again and test it as I promised...
Pix2

Post by Pix2 »

MD5: I've not attempted to track it down but the error I'm getting in trunk is:-

Code: Select all

In file included from osys_psp_gu.h:29,
                 from psp_main.cpp:39:
osys_psp.h: In member function 'virtual Graphics::PixelFormat OSystem_PSP::getOv
erlayFormat() const':
osys_psp.h:111: error: 'createPixelFormat' is not a member of 'Graphics'
osys_psp.h:111: error: expected primary-expression before ')' token
psp_main.cpp: In function 'int main()':
psp_main.cpp:125: warning: deprecated conversion from string constant to 'char*'

make: *** [psp_main.o] Error 1
Jinx1337 - I've had the same problem with MI3. You need to copy all the videos, etc out of the resource folder and store everything together. Also, if you've used the scummvm tools to compress the music you may need to switch back to uncompressed versions for now as there is a new version for 13.0.

As for the MI soundtrack, its debatable which is better but I always liked the MT32 one. Loom's done as well now - the CD version of that was probably an improvement but it only took an hour to do this and it beats adlib + I get the extra dialog missing from the other version. I'm toying with the idea of trying to fit a real recording of Swan Lake to it next.

I figured 13.0 was stable enough now for me not to be worried about keeping the 12.0 version. Besides which there are probably about only about 3 of us using either one. I've overwritten the 12.0 anyway so you'll have to cope with the green interface for now.
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

Pix2: Thanks for providing details but please, next time file an appropriate bug report about such errors. joostp, the PSP port maintainer, fixed the compilation error you were having. But we can't know about such errors if noone reports them, or doesn't tell us what the actual error is ("doesn't compile" is not really helpful :) )
Jinx1337

Post by Jinx1337 »

Either way is fine with me Pix!

I was just thinking about other people.

Cheers and thank you!

edit:

Oh, forgot to mention it.

All of you - install 5.00 M33-6 whenever you have a chance!

It includes a new driver for MS reading and speeds it up a lot! It's even faster than the "fatmsmod.prx" I've been encouraging everyone to install.

However - If you're on a 5.00 M33-x already and have the "fatmsmod" installed, you need to re-flash/re-install the 5.00 f/w before installing m33-6 and activating the new driver.
It's a really easy task, just grab "Hellcat's Recovery" homebrew and the original 5.00 FW eboot. Then, just follow Hellcat's readme.

The new driver works wonders with COMI! (Plus, if you have a 4GB card - you should format it with FAT16. 8GB cards can't be formated to FAT16 but FAT32 with a 32K cluster size is fine too).
Pix2

Post by Pix2 »

Did you ever try Discworld 2? I've not had much luck with it and it crashes my PSP as soon as I start it. I've still got to play the first one again though so I'm not in any rush - I wasn't too optimistic at this stage.

I've updated the build. In the last week, I've added a soundtrack for Touche, got the overture to play at the start of Loom & got an MT-32 Lure of the Temptress soundtrack mostly working. There are some seriously strange sound fx in that game - I'd think there was a problem with scummVM if it didn't sound more or less the same in Dosbox. I'm not sure the sound in LOTT is really worth the effort of getting it fully working but I'll probably attempt to finish it off having got this far. The intro music is an improvement, but most of the game just has a bit of ambient sound.
Jinx1337

Post by Jinx1337 »

Pix2 wrote:Did you ever try Discworld 2? I've not had much luck with it and it crashes my PSP as soon as I start it. I've still got to play the first one again though so I'm not in any rush - I wasn't too optimistic at this stage.

I've updated the build. In the last week, I've added a soundtrack for Touche, got the overture to play at the start of Loom & got an MT-32 Lure of the Temptress soundtrack mostly working. There are some seriously strange sound fx in that game - I'd think there was a problem with scummVM if it didn't sound more or less the same in Dosbox. I'm not sure the sound in LOTT is really worth the effort of getting it fully working but I'll probably attempt to finish it off having got this far. The intro music is an improvement, but most of the game just has a bit of ambient sound.
Ugh, sorry.

I know I promised it several times, but couldn't really be bothered due to all the exams overload I'm "enjoying" right now.

I didn't have any luck using your previous version, didn't try the newest one.

And - wow! Thanks for adding Touche! Boy, was I waiting for that!
Jinx1337

Post by Jinx1337 »

Hey Pix.

So I finally tried Discworld 2, and just like you said - it doesn't start at all - hangs after Psygnosis logo.

Doesn't that look familiar a little bit? Broken Sword 1+2? Something about the cutscenes not being supported in the PSP version and having to be converted? I don't know, just trying to hint.

And I am such a fool for not noticing that orchestral, Swan Lake OST for LOOM you put on your site! By God it's amazing!

Plus, I'm going to check Touche out! Been waiting to do it since I finished my exams!

Best wishes!
Jinx1337

Post by Jinx1337 »

Touche enhanced OST confirmed for awesomeness!

Thank you, thank you very much!

Funnily enough, I am having a real blast playing Touche, as I have been reading Alexander Dumas books lately, which really helped me to get in the mood.

And I love some of the witty sarcasm that the game's literally floating in.

edit:

Oh yes, and I have never thanked you for the "I have no mouth and I must scream" OST. Yeah, it loops now and then, but it's nothing that would make me be go back to the horrible adlib synth.

How come that game got such bad reviews when it is such a masterpiece? Great, great story. A little too grim for some, but I love it for both the Freudian/Behavioral aspects and adult themes.

Too bad that graphics and (especially) font looks garbled on the PSP. I got used to it, but some might be put off and play it on the PC instead.
Pix2

Post by Pix2 »

Glad to hear Touche works ok. I've still not played the game myself but I'll get around to it eventually. I was holding off until I got the soundtrack done but haven't managed to find the time since. I quite liked IHNM - I wouldn't say its exactly the most entertaining adventure game I've ever played but I do like the dark theme and the overall story.

I'm out of games to add soundtracks to now in 13.0. I'll just update the build when the final version comes out and move onto 14. There's still some tidying up on 7th Guest to do when/if it becomes playable on PSP + I could improve LOTT support (but probably won't). I've had a bit of a look at the new code thats been added for SCI and will have a go at doing something with that next but thats probably more for Windows than PSP unless you are a lot better with the virtual keyboard than I am. All being well the same code should work with every SCI game making it very quick and easy to add new games if I get the first one working. I'll try out Space Quest 3 first since its the earliest SCI game not to have an annoying copy protection question at the start - I can do without having to look up a keyword every time I want to test something.
Jinx1337

Post by Jinx1337 »

It should be more than useful for playing Larry 1 VGA remake and Larry 5 now, should it?

And wasn't the first Gabriel Knight SCI1 as well? Don't really know, just taking a wild guess.