Scummvm 0.13 coming to psp?

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's PSP (PlayStation Portable) port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

Jinx1337 wrote:It should be more than useful for playing Larry 1 VGA remake and Larry 5 now, should it?

And wasn't the first Gabriel Knight SCI1 as well? Don't really know, just taking a wild guess.
GK1 was SCI32, a much later version of the SCI engine
Pix2

Post by Pix2 »

In the long run I'll have a go at the LSL1 remake and the like but I'm guessing the guys here have a lot of work to do before these later games become playable. Some of the early SCI games (such as SQ3) were already completable in FreeSCI though and I'd expect them to be up and running more quickly. All of them only had MT-32 MIDI support so they are prime candidates for a new soundtrack as far as I'm concerned.

I'll have a look at Return to Zork some time as well which will be more playable on PSP but I'll have to pick up a copy first as I sold mine years back.
Jinx1337

Post by Jinx1337 »

Freddy Pharkas (the Frontier Pharmacist) was SCI1 wasn't it? How I loved this game!

I've had an original Return to Zork copy myself! Too bad that I can't find it (along with my original, boxed, floppy version of Teenagent :( ).
Pix2

Post by Pix2 »

Freddy Pharkas was SCI1.1 so it should be playable eventually. Theres a list of SCI games at:-

http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/Sierra_Game_Versions
Jinx1337

Post by Jinx1337 »

*cough* Now that Return to Zork is supported in the newest SVN... *cough*

Sorry to bug you Pix, but would you kindly...? :)
I've been dying for some Zork!

I remember I used to be scared of this game when I was a kid (hell if I know why, must have been that scary laughter whenever you died or the ability to kill everyone with a knife).
Pix2

Post by Pix2 »

Last time I tried RTZ on PSP (which wasn't long back), I just got a black screen when I started it but I'll upload the latest SVN version later today and you can try it yourself. I've not done anything with the audio yet and I'm not sure if I will as it doesn't sound all that great in the first place + there is some CD audio as is. The version I played years back was the floppy disk one with 100% MIDI so I wasn't expecting the CD music. I'm not sure I'm all that impressed with the game going back to it now either.

I've got the audio done on SQ3 anyway. I'll go back and improve it after MIDI support is added to SCI but it works pretty well for now and the game is completable on Windows. There shouldn't be any problems adding in the audio for any of the other SCI games once they are up and running but I'd expect a long wait before any of the mouse driven SCI1 games are playable on PSP.
Jinx1337

Post by Jinx1337 »

There was a floppy disk version of RTZ?

How many disks did it take? I mean, wasn't RTZ among the first games to *brag* about the new CD medium and "filmed, movie-like" sequences?

Then again... MadDog has been copied to floppies as well...
Pix2

Post by Pix2 »

12 floppies if I remember right - definitely the most of any game I ever bought (although not by much). It didn't have all the FMV but it did have full speech which took forever to uncompress when you installed it. The CD version is clearly the one to play but the floppy version still has all the same gameplay.

I put a PSP 14.0 svn build up last night but didn't try it out myself.
Jinx1337

Post by Jinx1337 »

Hah, alrighty then.

I'll check it out somewhere in the evening and report back.

Return To Zork was among the first CD games I bought when I was a kid, hah. The other three would be System Shock 1, Inca II (yup, anyone remember that little gem? :)) and Little Big Adventure.

God how I miss those times...
Jinx1337

Post by Jinx1337 »

Ok, just tried running the game.

Nothing, nada, zero. Just a black screen right away after firing it up. I tried the CD version.

Cutscenes need converting?

edit:

Hah, I left my PSP lying there on that black screen as I was just sending this post, when suddenly I've heard the familiar thunderstorm sound and the infocom title screen appeared, though it didn't "play out" as I remember it should.

Now it's just standing still on that logo. Definately something about the "cutscenes" then?

edit2:

Left it lying for some more, and the game actually STARTED!
Cutscenes started playing and all. Wow, talk about weird? It's playing the intro right now.

edit3:

I've grown some balls to try and "skip" the intro. It "hanged" when i pressed the button and it took good 3 minutes to load into the game, but hey - it did! So it seems like it's just not "performing" well and the engine needs some optimizations? It's running like a snail.

As a sidenote: that 14.0 SVN build you made runs on 222Mhz by default. The game sped up a little bit after I set the CPU to 333Mhz.

Every animations takes 3-4 minutes to load, I'm just in the "Valley of Vultures", can hear random bits of music playing and it's loading (the wizard animation as far as I remember).

edit4:

After 10 minutes of waiting for it to load, I finally quit it, hah. Too bad it's not playable. Wonder if Discworld 2 behaves better with this build though? I'll check it out tommorow. Almost 4 AM, I gotta get me some rest.

Thanks for that build Pix.
joostp
ScummVM Developer

Post by joostp »

Please file a bug report about the slowness.
Jinx1337

Post by Jinx1337 »

Will do!
Jinx1337

Post by Jinx1337 »

And done.
Jinx1337

Post by Jinx1337 »

Hey Pix,

I just got a memo from Thebluegr on ScummVM's bugtracker:

"I did some changes to Return to Zork's engine. Could you test the newest
daily snapshot, to check if there's any improvement?"

Could you compile the updated source so I can check and report whether it's improved or not?

Cheers.
Cirno

Post by Cirno »

Hiho...time for me to get active here as well.

Thanks for Pix and his work.
Just wanted to note that Kyrandia 1 doesn't run. I get the error message about the .dat file being faulty and so far redownloading didn't work.
It was mentioned on this topic that he removed the game to work for a short time so I'm not sure if that is supposed to happen.