Scummvm 0.13 coming to psp?

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's PSP (PlayStation Portable) port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

joostp
ScummVM Developer

Post by joostp »

Pix2 wrote:If I was going to have a go at speeding any engine up it would be groovie. 7th guest is so nearly playable & I've got the soundtrack all ready to go.
Is it? It's dead-slow here...
Jinx1337

Post by Jinx1337 »

Pix2 wrote:
I'm waiting for what Pix has up his sleeve with Tinsel engine optimization.
Think you've got the wrong of the stick as I don't recall mentioning optimising Discworld 2.
Oh... I've had to misread something somewhere then... :(
Pix2

Post by Pix2 »

Is it? It's dead-slow here...
It's been a while since I tried it but a few months back the movies were only about 5-10% off full speed so the sound stuttered. Walking around the house and the like was fine, a little slow but probably faster than it was on my 386 back when I played the game the first time.

It would have been just about playable except for the cursor which was ludicrously slow and seemed to suffer from occasional palette problems. I'm sure this could be improved as there is no clear reason why it should be as slow as it is.
joostp
ScummVM Developer

Post by joostp »

Seems there is a regression. In 0.13.1 it was a tad too slow, now it just crawls (~2 fps), even with a higher cpu clock setting and higher compiler optimization setting.

I filed a bug report about this, hope it can get fixed for the 1.0 release. It needs someone tracking down which revision introduced the slowness...
Jinx1337

Post by Jinx1337 »

Pix, can I still hope for your Kyrandia hacks incorporation into the newest nightly build sometime around?

It feels more... hmm... complete when I use your build :)
Pix2

Post by Pix2 »

Jinx1337 wrote:Pix, can I still hope for your Kyrandia hacks incorporation into the newest nightly build sometime around?
Unless you can change EA's mind there is no chance of that ever happening. If scummVM is ever less than squeaky clean legally they would risk being shut down. I don't imagine EA actually care about someone doing this but if they officially gave permission, it would effectively make the Kyrandia soundtracks public domain which is another matter.

I'd just chuck both builds on my PSP if I were you and use whichever is most appropriate for a given game.
Jinx1337

Post by Jinx1337 »

Pix2 wrote:
Jinx1337 wrote:Pix, can I still hope for your Kyrandia hacks incorporation into the newest nightly build sometime around?
Unless you can change EA's mind there is no chance of that ever happening. If scummVM is ever less than squeaky clean legally they would risk being shut down. I don't imagine EA actually care about someone doing this but if they officially gave permission, it would effectively make the Kyrandia soundtracks public domain which is another matter.

I'd just chuck both builds on my PSP if I were you and use whichever is most appropriate for a given game.
True. Oh well, I already miss the times I bugged you for a new PSP build whenever a relevant SVN change/engine inclusion showed up. Now we have PSP nightly builds.
Jinx1337

Post by Jinx1337 »

Pix, is Lands of Lore supposed to work with your 1.1 SVN build?

Side note: nice new site layout!

edit:

Ok, it works alright! Pix, please make arrows/L/R the default movement keys for LoL (without pressing the triangle)! It works great! Pressing the triangle makes it annoying and there's no need for super-sensitive cursor in this game via the d-pad.I've also got a feeling that <- and -> should be for turning while L and R should be for strafing though; it'd just like in several FPS ports for the PSP. It'd surely feel more intuitive and natural that way.

Triangle/Square could be used for Attack/Magic shortcuts (if that's possible) and X/O or triangle + d-pad to scroll through menus (again, if possible).

Great job on LoL's music! As usual, your work is much, much appreciated. All the best!

LoL on the PSP is awesome. Haven't had so much since playing Exult PSP (Ultima 7: The Black Gate/Serpent Isle port).
Pix2

Post by Pix2 »

As you've noticed it works but I never did finish sorting out the controls. I'll take another look at it in the next few days. The music patch should work ok but I've only played the early sections of the game. Some tracks might potentially have been mapped incorrectly, if you get any music in the wrong place let me know.

I've never tried Exult on PSP - I'm guessing my phat would struggle with it but I wouldn't mind playing Ultima 7 again. What I'd really like to see is remakes of Ultima Underworld 1 & 2 but it will probably never happen.
Pix2

Post by Pix2 »

I've had another look at the LOL controls. There is nothing set up in the PSP input handling to cope with specific games - all the controls apply across all games. So what I've done as an easy solution is introduce a LOL mode which is activated by pressing triangle, square, circle & cross simultaneously. I've swapped left/right with the triggers as suggested & you don't have to hold down triangle any more. If you do hold triangle, I've mapped the direction pad to F1-F4 as a shortcut for each party member to attack. I noticed the default button for slowing down the analog mouse has been changed to right shoulder. Since this is in use for LOL, I've moved it back to triangle when you change modes.

This should be enough to make the game very playable. I'm open to suggestions for other buttons, bearing in mind that any button has to correspond to a key on the keyboard.
Jinx1337

Post by Jinx1337 »

Thank you Pix!

I didn't have much time to test it, but looks like it's super-playable now. Didn't encounter any bugs so far, your music sounds great!
Pix2

Post by Pix2 »

I feel like I should be starting a new thread for this but I'd like to see if we can get this one read more than the forum rules.

Anyway, Bluddy has been hard at work and has released a dynamic loader patch which has been incorporated into SVN (version 1.1). This isn't in the overnight builds as they are still on the older 1.0 version in the run up to its release. I had some serious grief getting it to build but the version on my site now uses these plugins. What this is doing is only holding in memory the game engine that you are currently using, instead of all the game engines all the time. This will free up a lot of the PSP's memory which means I can include every engine in my builds now and should improve how scummVM runs in general. In the short term this is mainly going to help out phat owners like myself. He's after some feedback on how well it works if anyone wants to try it out.
Jinx1337

Post by Jinx1337 »

Oh dear, updates, updates, updates! Great job guys!

Having Slim myself, I'll be forced to snatch my brother's phat console and test the hell out of the newest build!
Will do it somewhere after tommorow though!

A thousand 'thank yous' Bluddy and Pix!

PS.
How is Discworld 2 holding up on the PSP now? Any optimizations in regards to that particular title? Can't really test my copy right now as I'm quite far away from home.

edit:
Is that teenagent.dat I'm seeing?! If that childhood game of mine works, you just made my weekend Pix!
Ephaelon

Post by Ephaelon »

Gonna give it a go with my usual Broken Sword 2, DW1 and DW2 test. As I've only got a slim as well, won't be able to comment on the phat performance.

update:
in comparison to build 43526
BS2 - same: excellent
DW1 - same: imperceptible slowdowns
DW2 - same performance BUT without the artefacts i got in the nightly build, ie, improvement!

Teen Agent - starts, plays, runs, but is very 'artefacty'.
Pix2

Post by Pix2 »

DW2 crashes my PSP before it starts up for me on a phat just like it always did before I did a tinsel only build. If it's running ok on a slim it suggests that the patch isn't freeing enough memory for some reason.