Scummvm 0.13 coming to psp?

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's PSP (PlayStation Portable) port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Jinx1337

Post by Jinx1337 »

Ephaelon wrote:Single eboot.

Is there a difference? Should I use dual?
Nah, just curious as dual eboot uses 1.5v kernel (older one), not available as a subset in Slim.
Pix2

Post by Pix2 »

I updated my 13.1 version yesterday also. You may find that more stable than 14.0. It has fewer engines still with no SCI or MADE.

Igor is the name of the engine used for Drascula which is why that file is in there.
Jinx1337

Post by Jinx1337 »

Pix2 wrote:I updated my 13.1 version yesterday also. You may find that more stable than 14.0. It has fewer engines still with no SCI or MADE.

Igor is the name of the engine used for Drascula which is why that file is in there.
You think that the memory allocation problem could be fixed in an 'official' release though?

I don't really like the idea of "cutting" engines out, heh.
Pix2

Post by Pix2 »

You would expect my builds to be less stable anyway and I'm only guessing at the cause. But even if there was an unfixable memory problem, at worst we would end up having to use more than one eboot in the same manner as the NDS build with different engines supported in each. It wouldn't be a big problem - you'd just have 2 scummvm icons instead of 1.

There has been talk of a dynamic loader for game engines in scummvm but I don't know if anyone has done any work on it.
Jinx1337

Post by Jinx1337 »

Fine with me.

I always have both the official and your SVN versions installed just in case.
Pix2

Post by Pix2 »

Don't know why I never tried it before but I just gave this a go with a tinsel only build and it frees up enough memory that Discworld 2 looks to run ok on it. I've put this up on the site for anyone who wants it.
Ephaelon

Post by Ephaelon »

Well color me surprised. Discworld2 actually works very nicely. Well cutscenes at least. Smooth as butter. It still suffers(as does Discworld) from:
Posted by Jinx1337
2) It's kind of slow in places with other animated sprites.
Music doesn't slow down, the cursor and Rincewind does. A lot. Even in 333 Mhz. I guess Tinsel still needs its fair share of optimization in ScummVM.

It's just the slowdowns which are irritating a bit.
They also happen in a weird fashion. If there's lots of movement on the screen, the game slows down. But if you go to the edge of a "two-screen" location and cause the screen to scroll to the other half of area, the slowdowns dissapear for the time of scrolling (yet the animations don't stop).
But that's a scummvm/tinsel thing. But the fact that it's running, hats off.
Jinx1337

Post by Jinx1337 »

Really now?

Great news, didn't test DW2 using the newest build!

Did you try switching to 333/166 mhz using CWCheat?

I've also noticed that Budd Tucker seems to be working a tad better now, could only be my imagination tho.

I might have a chance to test that Leather Goddess of Phobos 2 game this week!
Ephaelon

Post by Ephaelon »

Yup, always got it to 333 for ingame(kept at 'default' for XMB). But that's with the options from my custom firmware (5.00 m33-6).
Is there a difference if I download and use cwcheat instead? Have I in fact not been running at 333/166 Mhz?

Oh, and good luck finding the pinprick of a cursor in DW2 during low-FPS bits, haha.
Jinx1337

Post by Jinx1337 »

Not sure if ScummVM overrides the CF setting as I have always had it set to default and used CWCheat to push the value up. I do remember however, that was the case with some older revision.

Install it and check it out as it always shows you the current used frequency. I know I used it for making Discworld 1 very, very playable.
Ephaelon

Post by Ephaelon »

Will do, thanks for the tip. And will report back if I notice a change.

Beware my silence!
Jinx1337

Post by Jinx1337 »

Ephaelon wrote:Will do, thanks for the tip. And will report back if I notice a change.

Beware my silence!

Guess it didn't work, eh?
Ephaelon

Post by Ephaelon »

Correct. Was a no go unfortunately.

cwcheat showed it already going at 333/166. I still manually set it just in case, but nothing changed with regards to DW 1/2 gameplay.

In any case, I'll keep it installed. Much as I may not like to admit it, that ingame text reader should come in handy *cough*.
bubassi

Post by bubassi »

i couldnt find anywhere else to say this and would rather not start a new thread.
A huge thankyou to all who helped create scumm vm port for the psp :D

im currently running it on my psp slim with broken sword 1 (yet to try 2) and it is simply stunning,
the videos, music and sound effects are brilliant to see and hear again.

my psp slim specs:
5.00 m33-6
scummvm-PSP ver: 0.13.1

im not sure how much the psp slims expanded ram affects
the emulators operation but i have yet to experience
any slowdowns/lag or any freezing issues yet.
albadross

Post by albadross »

Request For Help

I have been running ScummVM 0.13.1 quite happily on various PSPs, notably PSP Slims under 5.00 M33-6 and a PSP Brite under ChickHEN R2.

I am tempted by the various messages here about the successful (and faster) running of The 7th Guest, Return to Zork, etc.

I have downloaded the SVN for 0.14 but I can’t find out to convert scummvm.elf into an EBOOT.PSP (or use it in some other way).

Any advice would be welcome.

David