Scummvm 0.13 coming to psp?

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's PSP (PlayStation Portable) port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Jinx1337

Post by Jinx1337 »

Noticed another, rather nasty bug.

Seems like one cannot save the game in Flight of the Amazon Queen. I have all the necessary files in the game's folder (sky.cpt/queen.tbl and whatnot) - no dice.

Any way you could fix that Pix?
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Jinx1337 wrote: Seems like one cannot save the game in Flight of the Amazon Queen.
Just to rule out the simple explanations, could you clarify a bit? Do you mean you don't get a save/load dialog, do you mean you can't enter a savegame description, do you mean it refuses to create a savefile, or do you mean something else entirely?

(If it's the first, using the journal should do the trick. If it's any of the others, I guess it's a PSP specific problem. I'm afraid I don't know anything about those.)
Jinx1337

Post by Jinx1337 »

Sorry, explanation of the problem somehow slipped my mind.

It's one of the things you mentioned - it refuses to create a savefile. I enter the savegame's name in the journal just fine, confirm it, but once I go back to the journal, the list shows up empty.

There is also no file created in the saves' directory.

I think I remember Legend of Kyrandia having a similar problem back in the day (on all versions of ScummVM) which was directly related to Kyra.dat somehow. I remember it was fixed in a newer release and that was how I contacted Pix in the first place - to ask him to update his PSP ScummVM build.

I'm not a coder though, just trying to hint.
Jinx1337

Post by Jinx1337 »

Just double-checked;

seems this is an issue with the official, stable release (0.13.1) as well, only on the PSP however.

I shall report it to bug tracker.

edit:

And done. Come to think of it, how's 7th Guest working on the PSP as of today? I remember it had some issues (similar to Return to Zork general slowdowns). Once I submitted it to the tracker it got fixed in an instant (sic! thank you ScummVM team!). I can add 7th Guest while we're at it.
Pix2

Post by Pix2 »

If you find bugs and they are present in the official version you should always file a bug report. As I rule I only break things rather than fixing them.

My build was getting pretty old so I've added a 1.1 build incorporating bluddy's patch. I've not got much time so its even more untested than usual + I couldn't find a kyra.dat that it would accept. The good news is that it has Cruise for a Corpse support and it looks to work quite well on PSP from the little I've seen.
joostp
ScummVM Developer

Post by joostp »

Any feedback on Bluddy's patch would be much appreciated.
I was having some problems with it, which is why it's not committed yet. Hopefully we can iron out those issues soon.

Also, a reminder that we have buildbot generated nightly builds (which as of today are provided as EBOOTs rather than ELFs, which was problematic for most users) for people that want to try new features / help release testing for 1.0.
Jinx1337

Post by Jinx1337 »

Will try it and provide feedback once I'm home on Monday (GMT+1).
Ephaelon

Post by Ephaelon »

I dunno what tweaks were done to the tinsel engine, but Discworld is working smoother than ever. Entering the cafeteria where all the wizards are(at the beginning), the slowdown is almost gone.

Discworld 2 however, doesn't load. It just thinks for a bit then you're thrown back to the XMB.
Pix2

Post by Pix2 »

I've only ever got Discworld 2 to work by stripping the other engines out of the build to save memory. I'll update my Discworld only build next week some time - with a bit of luck Discworld 2 will have speeded up also.
Jinx1337

Post by Jinx1337 »

So I finally got test the new build and by God, Discworld 1 runs flawlessly now (along with James Woodcock's enhanced music tracks).

Regarding the sleep mode - marvellous! I tried it with FOTAQ / MI 2 / Discworld 1 / Full Throttle. No glitches, issues, whatsoever. Worked just fine! I am using PSP Slim though, could that be the issue JoostP?

A fun thing I spotted is that when you go into sleep mode and back, the "in-game" time seems to "flow".

If you turn off the PSP in Discworld for example, you'll see the game's "screensaver" when you fire it up again. Same with conversations you start etc. It somehow instantly forwards all the PSP's sleep time once you turn it on. Not really an issue (unless there's a game with a timer-limit of sorts).

Just remember not to turn your PSPs off in the middle of in-game's conversations or it will skip them.

Alternatively you can always PAUSE the game before going into sleep mode.

On a side note: JoostP - thank you for fixing FOTAQ's save issue.
Bluddy
ScummVM Developer

Post by Bluddy »

Hey Jinx, are you using the nightly build or Pix's build? Pix's build (of 14/8/09) currently has my older patch which had problems with conversations skipping.
Jinx1337

Post by Jinx1337 »

Bluddy wrote:Hey Jinx, are you using the nightly build or Pix's build? Pix's build (of 14/8/09) currently has my older patch which had problems with conversations skipping.
Pix build.

I'll try the nightly build (since it also has FOTAQ save issue fixed) in a moment.
Jinx1337

Post by Jinx1337 »

Yup, works without "skipping time" now! Awesome job Bluddy! That's just what this port needed. I don't know what issues is JoostP talking about, but could it be a difference that I'm running a PSP Slim? Different memory allocation and all that jazz...

Also, I must say that the nightly build runs Discworld 1 EVEN FASTER than Pix's build! It's virtually lagless (and just in 222/133 Mhz! Longer battery span anyone?).

On the other hand, I noticed a really, really slight lag when moving the cursor that occurs every 5-10 seconds in your 1.1.0 build Pix. Cursor movement feels less "fluid".
Nothing overly annoying or even visible, I'm just overly sensitive for these kind of things and thought it'd help to point it out.

I also noticed that in the nightly build, you don't get the game's native main menu but the ScummVM's one instead.

Only issue is - no "subtitles on/off" under Audio and the cursor stays black once you summon the menu - it doesn't "blink" and thus it's almost invisible in the classic, non-modern theme.

JoostP - is it possible for you to incorporate the F1/F2/F3/F4/F5 keys into the OSK GUI like Pix did? They help both Bargon Attack and Drascula games.
joostp
ScummVM Developer

Post by joostp »

Jinx1337 wrote:Yup, works without "skipping time" now! Awesome job Bluddy! That's just what this port needed. I don't know what issues is JoostP talking about, but could it be a difference that I'm running a PSP Slim? Different memory allocation and all that jazz...
I don't know what caused it, but with the very first patch I had the screen flashing black every 5-10 seconds. Could just be a fluke, but without the patch the issue didn't occur... very strange.
Jinx1337 wrote:Also, I must say that the nightly build runs Discworld 1 EVEN FASTER than Pix's build! It's virtually lagless (and just in 222/133 Mhz! Longer battery span anyone?).
Well the new build will set the clockrate to 333mhz itself, possibly overriding whatever you had set beforehand.
There's just too many unoptimized new engines to get a good user experience at 222mhz.
In addition I've also increased the compiler optimization level, which should in theory produce slightly faster code.

Jinx1337 wrote:I also noticed that in the nightly build, you don't get the game's native main menu but the ScummVM's one instead.
It uses the CTRL-F5 menu now, as that offers the "return to launcher" functionality. I would love to allow both F5 and CTRL-F5 menus, but couldn't think of a suitable set of keys.
Jinx1337 wrote:JoostP - is it possible for you to incorporate the F1/F2/F3/F4/F5 keys into the OSK GUI like Pix did? They help both Bargon Attack and Drascula games.
I don't know, I've never used any of Pix's builds.
It'd actually be quite useful if Pix were to submit as much of his patches to the tracker as possible, trying to get them integrated cleanly so that we can cut down on the number of different builds.
Pix2

Post by Pix2 »

I've really not done anything in terms of optimisation. I had forced the speed to 333 Mhz in the same manner as you have now done yourself but thats it. In terms of the function keys - I've just added F1-F10 into the empty squares on the number/shift & number virtual keyboards as a quick and dirty fix for Drascula. I'd have submitted a patch except I'm unsure how I would update the compressed keyboard data which means that you can't see what key you are pressing.

I'm primarily interested in replacing the adlib soundtracks which isn't within the scope of scummVM so I haven't submitted any patches after my first attempt with Legend of Kyrandia. Now that we have a daily build here, I'll probably stick to tweaking released versions after SCI and LOL support is added which should simplify things.

I've had a go on Discworld myself now and it really is a lot faster than the old versions. I also tried a new tinsel only build to get Discworld 2 running but I'm less sure about whether thats any quicker. It does slow down at times but is playable for all that.