PSP Slim advantage for ScummVM

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's PSP (PlayStation Portable) port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

roylazarovich

PSP Slim advantage for ScummVM

Post by roylazarovich »

Hi Everyone.

With the announcement that the new PSP Slim is going to have an extra 32 MB of RAM, I was wondering if ScummVM will be able to take advantage of that to make even more games compatible?

I am looking to buy a PSP, and ScummVM is a major selling point for me, I'm considering whether or not I should wait for the Slim, I'm not really interested in anything new about it other than the possibility of better compatibility due to the 64 MB of RAM.

Would be interested to hear your opinions.

Thanks.
clem

Post by clem »

the most fundamental question that comes to mind is: which games do not run on current PSPs due to the current amount of memory?

I looked around on the wiki, the psp page refers to the normal compatibility list - if all games are supported anyway additional ram won't change a thing

just my common sense though, since I'm not a psp expert
jak66

Post by jak66 »

Another fundimental would be how soon till the new hardware/software is 'hacked' so developers can use it's full potential.

Clem - I'm not very knowledgeable about these thing, so I ask if the extra memory (if indeed the extra memory is RAM and not Flash memory for writing the firmware to) would help games that run but slowly (like say COMI) to run faster/full-speed in the places where they currently lag?
roylazarovich

Post by roylazarovich »

Thanks for the replies.

I don't think the extra RAM would help speed things up as this is usually associated with the CPU and GPU, than again I might be wrong, maybe a developer can state otherwise.
jak66

Post by jak66 »

roylazarovich wrote:Thanks for the replies.

I don't think the extra RAM would help speed things up as this is usually associated with the CPU and GPU, than again I might be wrong, maybe a developer can state otherwise.
My idea with extra RAM making game faster is that it could cache more data, which loads quicker from RAM than memory stick, but now I've had time to think about it, it would still have to load from the memory stick at some point.
Jon M

Post by Jon M »

Things might load faster, but I doubt it will improve the speed of the games. I do not think that games like COMI bottleneck at the Ram, but the CPU. More an educated guess then speaking from reliable information though.

COMI is s close to being playable (with all the audio skipping and cursor freezing now, I do not deem it as playable enjoyably) I really hope we see improvements on that game, then I'd be 100% happy with scumm and any further improvements are surplus.

Just reliving MI2. Thanks to everyone that's ever done anything to get this emulator made then ported to the PSP. You make many of us very happy : ) is there still drama with donating via paypal? This is a worthy cause.
clem

Post by clem »

Jon M wrote:is there still drama with donating via paypal? This is a worthy cause.
nope, that was resolved - see "donate" button on the main page, lower right corner beneath the menu
Tooplex

Post by Tooplex »

Do you seriously think that homebrew will get on the Psp slim that quickly. Sony are not stupid there will be a totally new motherboard onto the hand held, a totally rearranged flash and also probably a new flash chip. The M33 Team are only hacking software not hardware that would probably be a job for Ookm. Seriously don't get your hopes up for homebrew on the Psp Slim and i think the Scummvm team shouldn't be thinking about it either until it actually happens (which it will in about 6 months of release or even more!).