Mapping Controls?

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's PSP (PlayStation Portable) port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

yeah yeah

Mapping Controls?

Post by yeah yeah »

is there anyway you can map the D-Pad as the cursor keys? it's real hard to control the character. how about a virtual keyboard instead of the keys wrapped around the screen. i mean...these suggestions are brought up now since all the SIERRA games are all text-based games.
joostp
ScummVM Developer

Post by joostp »

You can't with the current version, adding this is something that is planned for the future though.
murgo

ScummVM PSP mouse controls and D-pad

Post by murgo »

I've been using ScummVM for years now, and recently I got myself my own PSP. I'm enjoying many LucasArts games with it, but the only annoyance is the awkwardness of the mouse controls. Sigh, if only the PSP had a touch-screen...

Mainly, the problem is when you have to go select the actions or "verbs" like Pick up, Talk to, etc. It gets annoying when you have to move the cursor (quite slowly and/or unaccurately) from the play area to the menu at the bottom. It's great that the games sometimes offer some default actions to do when clicking right mouse button, but it doesn't always help.

This could easily be solved by binding D-pad's directions to different commonly used actions (with more commands available by pressing L or R maybe). Better yet (though not nearly as easy to implement), have the D-pad have it's own "cursor" (for example by highlighting the buttons or something), which could select the actions and items. This would make the PSP-adventuring far more appealing.

That's my two cents. Thanks to the whole developement team for making this wonderful piece of software. I've spent countless of hours reliving old experiences with it.

EDIT: I know I kinda hijacked this thread, but I wasn't bold enough to create new one, as this was my first post and this thread was close enough for my thoughts. Sorry if I was inappropriate.
futaris

Post by futaris »

This sounds a lot like the zones system used on Pocket PC / Smartphone.

D-pad cursor sounds like an even better/unique idea though, but then you'd have two select buttons. I guess most engines that don't use the right mouse button, have a lucasarts type of display down the bottom.
murgo

Post by murgo »

The other select button could be square, for there isn't much dialogue to be skipped when selecting actions.

Altough I'm not sure how well this "other cursor" -style would work on all games, since I've almost only played old LucasArts games with ScummVM (DOTT, MI1+2, Indy4 etc). Maybe it could be game-specific (or it probably would have to be, since different games have different size inventories, for example). All I know it would make at least LucasArts games much more enjoyable on the PSP.