Maybe AGI support on PSP

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's PSP (PlayStation Portable) port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

JonWW

Maybe AGI support on PSP

Post by JonWW »

I read in another post that ScummVM for PSP will have AGI support *maybe* If it will be supported will going to the virtual keyboard pause gameplay? Could there be a selection of Verbs that most AGI games understand that can be selectable? Maybe even a list of words taken from WORDS.TOK, and then complied into a file that would easily read for ScummVM. Just thought I would ask because some puzzles put in Sierra's AGI game were designed so you had to type quickly before your character died.
JonWW

Post by JonWW »

Just noticed in another post joostp say that istead of D-pad cursor movement the D-pad might be used for the following:

Fighting controls for Indy games, maybe quick access to commonly used verbs for certain games, etc.

Is the quick access to verbs for Sierra AGI, or games like Monkey Island where it would be nice to quick select Pick up so you can pick up the herring easily before the bird gets back to it? Picking up the herring might be more difficult on the PSP currently without using "hotkeys" for verbs, but it is not impossible. I'm hoping he is talking about quick select for verbs for both native SCUMM engine games and access to a verb list for AGI engine games.
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

We are already working (resp., already have partially implemented) an input system for AGI that is suitable on mobile devices. It's a bit like the T9 system you might know from cell phones, i.e. we use the mapping from numbers to laters known from cell phones combined with a dictionary (but as T9 is patented, we do it differently than in T9).

And before you ask: it'll be done when it's done, no sooner and no later :-)
JonWW

Post by JonWW »

Had to look at Wikipedia to see what you meant about the T9 system, but how would this work with the PSP port? Will it have a T9 like interface built into the virtual keyboard and a key or selection to bring the input to the game when you are finished? I was thinking that you could use words from the WORDS.TOK file of the game like GBAGI does. It's explained here: http://www.bripro.com/gbagi/docs/textinput.html

The source code is also available for download for GBAGI if that helps.
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

You will get a a "dialog" looking like a number pad on a keyboard, which you can tap to quickly enter words.

We know about GBAGI, but it is hampered by various severe limitations.

Anyway, for now, please just trust me: We are working on a solution, and once it's finished, you'll be able to download a build with it and test it. At which point you are welcome to provide feedback, but I don't think it makes sense to discuss this before you had a chance to try it out, and before it's in fact even finished, don't you think so? :-)
rZr

sweet!

Post by rZr »

Good to hear that the dialog for building sentences is under construction. I really can not wait for an alpha/preview of this!

Thank you! :D
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

Err... use 0.10.0, which includes this feature already?
rZr

Post by rZr »

I'll just go ahead and crawl back under the rock where i was sleeping :oops:.

Downloading as we speak..
Laserschwert

Post by Laserschwert »

fingolfin wrote:Err... use 0.10.0, which includes this feature already?
Uhm... where? The readme is outdated and doesn't mention this feature, and I have no idea how to activate it. A little heads up?
JonWW

Post by JonWW »

In order to enable predictive input in AGI games, you need to copy the pred.dic file in the ScummVM extras folder or the folder of the game you wish to play. This dictionary has been created by parsing through all known AGI games and contains the maximum set of common words.

If the dictionary is detected, the Predictive Input Dialog is displayed when you click on the command line area (wherever keyboard input is required, even in dialog boxes).