A few questions

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's PSP (PlayStation Portable) port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

lucky_lindy

A few questions

Post by lucky_lindy »

1) Is the readme.psp file available as a text version anywhere? Unfortunately I don't have a psp yet so I can't read it, but judging from some forum posts it may be the answer to all my questions. I couldn't find it on the main site or the wiki.

2) Is there any estimated release date for the new version?

3) I assume a PSP with firmware 1.5 is the most desireable to run scummvm (most compatability, fastest, etc) as this is the supported (right?) version. Is this still the case?

Thanks a lot, looking forward to playing with it as soon as I get my hands on a PSP!
Laserschwert

Post by Laserschwert »

As for 1), the file's a simple text-file... just open it with the notepad.
lucky_lindy

Post by lucky_lindy »

Laserschwert wrote:As for 1), the file's a simple text-file... just open it with the notepad.
Ahem, I am an idiot. Thank you laserschwert.
sfaok

Post by sfaok »

Where homebrew is concerned, there are two ideal firmwares imo. The first being 1.50 and the second being a custom firmware created by DarkAlex called 2.71SE, which is basically a hybrid 1.50/2.71 firmware with all the benefits of 1.50 and 2.71. Meaning that you can boot UMD's which require higher firmware straight from the menu with having to use applications such as Devhook etc. as well as some superficial benefits like custom wallpaper.

I personally use 2.71SE and it works great for homebrew.

For more information on that particular firmware, I'd suggest checking out the forums at http://psp-news.dcemu.co.uk - and always remember to download from a reliable and reputable source; there are quite a few apps that will brick a psp if you're not careful.

From what I read on the forum, other firmware versions aren't supported as they require hacks such as eloader. Games with high memory requirements tend to have problems running using eloader.

As for new versions, the major updates happpen maybe 2 or 3 times a year. In the mean-time there are a few CVS builds floating about which you can use as well as the normal release. If you search the forums theres a 222mhz build and a 333mhz build floating about.

I'd suggest grabbing the 333mhz version if you want to play Curse of Monkey Island, it doesn't run perfectly but it is very playable and only has a few minor slow-down issues.