Curse of Monkey Island

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's PSP (PlayStation Portable) port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

fade

Curse of Monkey Island

Post by fade »

I've read that the 0.8.0 version for the PSP provides much better support for Curse of Monkey Island. Isnt this quite a large game though? how does one go about playing this particular game on the PSP?

Many thanks for any help offered.
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

• 2 Gb memory stick
  • compress_scumm_san + compress_scumm_bun & 512 Mb memory stick

Eugene
joostp
ScummVM Developer

Post by joostp »

Just like you'd play any other game; by copying the datafiles to the memory stick.

Since COMI is 2 CDs, you'd need a >= 1GB stick to fit the entire game.
There are tools (the ScummVM tools package) for compressing the speech, music and cutscenes of COMI, with which you can bring the total size of the game down to below 500MB IIRC.

However, as README.PSP points out, this can/will have impact on the performance of the game, so it is NOT recommended.

Another option is to only copy the data from the 1st CD to your (512MB) memory stick, and then when you reach the transition point in the game exchange it with the data from the 2nd CD.
fade

Post by fade »

Wow, it cant really be feasible for a lot of people at the moment then what with the restrictive prices of sony's memory cards. Its good to know its ready to play though. :) Thanks for the help and prompt reply.
joostp
ScummVM Developer

Post by joostp »

It's actually quite playable on a 512M memory stick (and they're not that expensive) if you strategically compress and use the "1 CD at a time" method I described.

You can also play the demo version of COMI (although its font is quite hard to read on PSP) while you wait for memory stick prices to drop :)
fade

Post by fade »

I think i might just invest in one of those adapters for the psp that lets you use different types of memory sticks. Then just buy a cheaper brand. :)
wiganpie

Post by wiganpie »

how do i get this game from the first cd of COMI onto the psp realdy to play i have a 512 card and fm 1.5??

I dont know which file to put on the psp
joostp
ScummVM Developer

Post by joostp »

wiganpie wrote:how do i get this game from the first cd of COMI onto the psp realdy to play i have a 512 card and fm 1.5??

I dont know which file to put on the psp
http://www.scummvm.org/documentation.php?view=datafiles
Shonen

Post by Shonen »

CD 1 is 514 mb, CD 2 is 499 mb I think.

How would you be able to get CD 1 on a 512 mb stick (which is effectively only 495 mb or so) without compressing the audio?

On a sidenote, I expect the 1gb stick to reach the 100 eur/usd mark by december/holiday season.
joostp
ScummVM Developer

Post by joostp »

Shonen wrote:CD 1 is 514 mb, CD 2 is 499 mb I think.

How would you be able to get CD 1 on a 512 mb stick (which is effectively only 495 mb or so) without compressing the audio?

On a sidenote, I expect the 1gb stick to reach the 100 eur/usd mark by december/holiday season.
Yup, I agree this is a tricky one.. what I usually do is delete the intro (which is 80M) after having watched it once.
wiganpie

Post by wiganpie »

how do i delete the intro?
wiganpie

Post by wiganpie »

how do i install the compression tools thing nothing happens when i try to??