0.9.0 - On-screen keyboard problems

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's PSP (PlayStation Portable) port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

albadross

0.9.0 - On-screen keyboard problems

Post by albadross »

I did mention this during the testing period but no-one else seemed to pick up on it.

When you try to name a save file and bring up the on-screen keyboard, most of the keyboard layout and the instructions are invisible (white writing on a pale cream background).

While it is possible to work out where each letter is positioned on the screen, this is extremely tiresome.

Does anyone know of a trick to show the keyboard in grey or black?

If not, I'm going back to 0.8.2 (333Mhz version). Not so pretty - but at least I can read it.
joostp
ScummVM Developer

Post by joostp »

Yes, I read your post, but haven't had any time to do anything about it yet.

You'd be best off reporting this on the bug or feature-request tracker, else it'll probably be forgotten about. (this is mentioned in the forum rules, btw!)

There is no 'trick' to show the keyboard in grey or black, but you can ofcourse remove modern.zip and modern.ini and have it fall back to the 'classic' theme (for which the On-Screen Keyboard was originally 'designed').
albadross

Post by albadross »

Thanks very much for your reply.

As requested, I have added this to the feature request list.

Thank you also for the suggestion to remove the two modern.* files. This sounds just like what I want.

However, at the moment, having deleted them, every time I press the Start button, I get the following error :

ERROR: (5:59:0xE9): Widget (scummhelp) has y < 0

Have you any suggestions?

In the meantime, I shall play around some more and investigate whether there is any hope in changing either of the modern files (which don't crash!).
albadross

Post by albadross »

Success!

I have put back the two modern files and I can now read the keyboard!

Before putting back the modern.zip file, I edited the two files dialog_bkgd.bmp and widget_bgkd.bmp in the zip file using Windows Paint and changed them to grey.

Now the white keyboard is pretty much readable.

Thanks for your help.

If you think this solution works OK, maybe the feature request needn't be followed up.

Later edit :

I have tested everything you can get to from the F5 menu and it is all acceptably legible. The only thing I found hard to read was the green? headings in the listing of the credits. But I have read them before on my PC and I shall not let it spoil my usage of an excellent program!

Being someone who saves and loads a lot during adventure games (yes, a coward!), I find the changes I have carried out make ScummVM 0.9.0 much more playable.
joostp
ScummVM Developer

Post by joostp »

Whoops, you're right about the error.

It happens because some of the widget sizes/positions of the Classic theme (whose configuration is compiled into the executable, and are not in a seperate .ini like the modern theme) don't have a definition for the PSPs resolution.
As you can tell I didn't test the Classic theme beyond the launcher.

It would be valuable if you could post a report on the bugtracker about this issue.

Thanks!
albadross

Post by albadross »

Have posted this on the bug tracker as requested.

I don't think there is any great hurry to get the 'classic' theme working (as the 'modern' one is intrinsically more artistic) but it should probably be done eventually for completeness.

As I said earlier, I am happy enough running the 'modern' theme with my hacked version of the modern.zip file.

Thanks for looking into the error, anyway - I thought it might have been my mistake!