Slow ScummVM in a PSP 6.35

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's PSP (PlayStation Portable) port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

G3RMaN

Slow ScummVM in a PSP 6.35

Post by G3RMaN »

I have registered myself because testing the ScummVM in my PSP with firmware 6.35 (6.35 PRO B9) I have noted that it goes slowly in the majority of the games... for example, in Monkey Island in the beginning with the music and during all the game...

It also happens normally with all the videos like the opening of The Dig...

I have tested it with the maximum cpu speed (333 Mhz) and with mp3 sound and all this stuff... I don't know what to do, maybe it's a problem of the custom firmware...

Would you know any solution?

I want this fluidity!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g39iLuFJn0A
Dallox

Post by Dallox »

Try a other LCFW?
G3RMaN

Post by G3RMaN »

I can't do it without doing a downgrade and I have a PSP 3000, so it's not the best idea... I suppose I'll have to wait to future versions or LCFW...
Bluddy
ScummVM Developer

Post by Bluddy »

I think there could be 2 problems here, G3RMaN. Monkey Island has an issue with MP3 files that's due to the way they're designed. You're better off using ogg files in the case of Monkey Island 1 and Loom.

The second problem, with videos in Dig, seems to suggest that your memory stick read speed is slow. I don't know if this is a problem in the firmware or perhaps in the particular brand of memory stick you're using. You might want to experiment with another brand if you have one.
Dallox

Post by Dallox »

Get yourslef 6.39 ME :3
Lotus Gramarye

Post by Lotus Gramarye »

If you have 6.35, just downgrade to 6.20 (might have to upgrade to 6.38 first, though; don't know if you can downgrade from 6.35) and install 6.20 pro-b8. I have that, and scummvm works perfectly.
G3RMaN

Post by G3RMaN »

Anyone can confirm that ScummVM works perfectly in a PSP with 6.35 PRO B9? Then I can check if the problem is the memory card... (although it's a original Kingston of 16 GB)...

Bluddy, I play Monkey Island and Loom with ogg files but it happens the same so I think this is not the problem...

If I get another memory card I'll tell you guys... but now I have my PSP a little bit abandoned hehe...

Thank you all!
koima57

Post by koima57 »

Confirm it worked normal for me back at your CFW.. Now on 6.60 Pro B10 and no issue, try a format stick and re-install from fresh?
McKnallski

Post by McKnallski »

There is a possble solution for your slow Memory Stick. Just format the Memory Stick via your PC in FAT 16 instead of FAT 32 (which is the Standard for those Sticks). This increases the Read Speed. I´ve got the same Problem some Time ago with a China Fake 4GB Memory Stick. But with FAT 16 you cannot store single files bigger than 2GB.

Do not forget to backup all the Files of your Stick before you format.
G3RMaN

Post by G3RMaN »

After checking with other LCFW, the problem is not that (I've formatted all and now I have 6.60 PRO C), so I think it's the reading velocity of my memory card.

If I format in FAT16 I think I only can use 2GB in total (and Windows doesn´t allow me to do that with a 8 GB Memory stick), so I don't see it like a possibility. Do you have anymore ideas?

Thank you all
McKnallski

Post by McKnallski »

For me it worked very well with Fat 16. And I was able use the whole 4GB. I did that a time ago in Windows XP via the Command-Line.