Voice files, am I missing something?

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's PSP (PlayStation Portable) port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

wentzeric

Voice files, am I missing something?

Post by wentzeric »

Hi there,

Been allover trying to figure out what simple thing I'm missing.
I have ScummVM running and playing a game fine but the dang voices are not working.
As I understand I must have a monster.sof file which is not manageable via the PSP.
What I'm missing is a way to convert or obtain a monster.so3 or .sog file?
I'm not really understanding how to get .ogg files or how to convert them with the copy of the games I have.

Any direction or help would be appreciated.
To narrow it down, i've tried Scumm 2.0 and now 2.1, I've tried 2-3 different game files as well, what am I missing?
corpse

Re: Voice files, am I missing something?

Post by corpse »

Hi,

You need the original monster.sou file, so you need to copy this from the original media. You can copy monster.sou as it is to the psp, or of you can wish you can compress it with scummvm tools:

https://www.scummvm.org/downloads/#tools

You are correct .sof will not work as the psp does not support flac, but mp3 (.so3) or ogg (.sog) will work.

Thanks Tom.
wentzeric

Post by wentzeric »

I've read through the readme file but this is just too much.

I'm running the tool, choosing the monster.sof to compress. When I choose MP3 it wants a lame file? when I choose Vorbis it errors out:
Running compress_agos
Fatal Error Occurred: Too many indexes read, file does not appear to be of the correct format.

is the a guied to this or what am I still doing wrong?
digitall
ScummVM Developer

Post by digitall »

wenteric: What game are you trying to convert the audio files for?
corpse

Post by corpse »

wentzeric wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:07 pm
I'm running the tool, choosing the monster.sof to compress. When I choose MP3 it wants a lame file? when I choose Vorbis it errors out:
Running compress_agos
Fatal Error Occurred: Too many indexes read, file does not appear to be of the correct format.
You need to compress monster.sou from the original media.

Tom.
wentzeric

Post by wentzeric »

digitall wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:28 pm wenteric: What game are you trying to convert the audio files for?
Full Throttle with a monster.sof file

However, I'm also trying the other main ones. Sam and Max, Tentacle, Curse of Monkey Island.
So far I'm just a little off, I should be able to get it going. It's just too much to see that not a lot of people are having the same problem I am so I must be missing something. not having the .sou and a .sof file instead seems key but then why don't we have a tool for making ogg or mp3 out of .sof files if they are so popular?
corpse

Post by corpse »

Please correct me if wrong, but the purchased versions of the game only come with monster.sou, not the compressed versions.
digitall
ScummVM Developer

Post by digitall »

wentzeric: Where did you get your copy of Full Throttle from?
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

wentzeric wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:25 pm I am so I must be missing something. not having the .sou and a .sof file instead seems key but then why don't we have a tool for making ogg or mp3 out of .sof files if they are so popular?
The "something" you are missing is the game. Officially obtained, not something you downloaded illegally. And of course, we do not support converting from that, for the sake of the safety of the project and people behind it.

Eugene