Widescreen mod

Discussions regarding the development of the mod "Grim Fandango Deluxe"

Moderator: ScummVM Team

kavehth

Re: Widescreen mod

Post by kavehth »

ultraneonoirantihero wrote:Great work :) Looks amazing!

Maybe the black ridge shows due to scaling, image interpolation side-effect... the image edges are blurred? Would it be stupid to make these add-ons in 240x1080px, even though the original backgrounds are in 480p? But then would the ridge re-appear if the resolution is other than 1080p?

You updated the code, but you probably use C# & GitHub... and I work in Java & Subversion. Any quick tutorial to build your branch locally on Ubuntu :D

If these room names are visible from the ScummRevisited I'll write down image names and post the new add-ons version on Dropbox.

I also notice that add-ons are brighter in "Manny office console" scene, and in "Deck of cards on the table" the red chair looks awfully compressed. Is it like that in-game, or the images you posted just have high compression? Because in my PSD files I made almost seamless transition. Maybe the in-game brightness controls mess things up?

P.S. I'm making more backgrounds. Expect the next batch on Sunday too.

P.P.S. Yes, the addons have blurred edges. Interpolation side-effect due to upscaling.

You can see on the 2nd image how the original backgrounds have a hard color transition to the ResidualVM window, but in the upper left corner when you look at add-on part it's little blurry... and that "little blurry" part is the 1px black ridge. I've suspected that, that's something that happens in video editing, Photoshop and in Java too when I added some icons...
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2218 ... ing-blurry

Botje, advise: 240x1080px images or will you use new way of upscaling interpolation?
Great work. If you want i can render the backgrounds in 16:9 using the z buffers and you can use those as a base to create the sides, granted this will only work on the rooms that have multiple views, but it will make them more accurate and also make your job easier. Let me know if you want me to make them.
ultraneonoirantihero

Post by ultraneonoirantihero »

kavehth wrote:Great work. If you want i can render the backgrounds in 16:9 using the z buffers and you can use those as a base to create the sides, granted this will only work on the rooms that have multiple views, but it will make them more accurate and also make your job easier. Let me know if you want me to make them.
I guess I WILL need some of those re-rendered z-buffer images later on, but for now please bother making them - it would be an overkill :D I currently have more problems with texturing, to be more precise - I have a problem with extracting textures from existing images. So geometry isn't my current problem, textures are.

But thanks man for offering help :D I will definitely need some of those re-rendered z-buffer images later on, in Petrified Forest and more complex scenes. I'm currently working on Year 1, El-Marrow streets are all asphalt and buildings so it's relatively "easy".

When you mentioned multiple angles... did you know that there are unused background images for some locations with alternative angles? Well, there are, and I think there are more than people originally thought, cause I was looking for some Y1 backgrounds in ScummRevisited and I found some strange angles of Eva's desk.

Anyway, I'm working on more backgrounds. I hope I'll complete all backgrounds needed for first "sign the DOD car modification" puzzle by Sunday. No problems for now, no need for "re-rendered z-buffer images", but will definitely need them later.
kavehth

Post by kavehth »

ultraneonoirantihero wrote:
kavehth wrote:Great work. If you want i can render the backgrounds in 16:9 using the z buffers and you can use those as a base to create the sides, granted this will only work on the rooms that have multiple views, but it will make them more accurate and also make your job easier. Let me know if you want me to make them.
I guess I WILL need some of those re-rendered z-buffer images later on, but for now please bother making them - it would be an overkill :D I currently have more problems with texturing, to be more precise - I have a problem with extracting textures from existing images. So geometry isn't my current problem, textures are.

But thanks man for offering help :D I will definitely need some of those re-rendered z-buffer images later on, in Petrified Forest and more complex scenes. I'm currently working on Year 1, El-Marrow streets are all asphalt and buildings so it's relatively "easy".

When you mentioned multiple angles... did you know that there are unused background images for some locations with alternative angles? Well, there are, and I think there are more than people originally thought, cause I was looking for some Y1 backgrounds in ScummRevisited and I found some strange angles of Eva's desk.

Anyway, I'm working on more backgrounds. I hope I'll complete all backgrounds needed for first "sign the DOD car modification" puzzle by Sunday. No problems for now, no need for "re-rendered z-buffer images", but will definitely need them later.
Actually i can project the images on the geomerty so they will be textured as well, this works great for some scenes, it depends on the angles that we have, but some rooms might not even need a lot of work. I can do them pretty fast, i'll do a couple tomorrow so you can see how it looks.
kavehth

Post by kavehth »

Here are all the angles of the garage

http://imgur.com/a/UeMWC/all

i didn't change anything, I just combined all the meshes and rendered all the camera angles. with a little clean up we could get a lot better results.

unfortunate there are some z-buffers that have been big chunks that have been blacked out, i think its because of the movies that play in those parts, that's why there are some white parts in the images
ultraneonoirantihero

kavehth wrote:Here are all the angles of the garage

http://imgur.com/a/UeMWC/all

i didn't change anything, I just combined all the meshes and rendered all the camera angles. with a little clean up we could get a lot better results.

unfortunate there are some z-buffers that have been big chunks that have been blacked out, i think its because of the movies that play in those parts, that's why there are some white parts in the images
Amazing :) I was just working on the Garage and made Glotis shack in wrong perspective. This will fix it! Thanks man :) Looks awesome!
JohnnyWalker2001

Post by JohnnyWalker2001 »

This is some incredible stuff! Wow!

One thing I don't understand is why the sides of the images aren't being made to match the resolution of the original artwork? If they were done to the same specifications, they would surely match better? The exact same interpolation would be applied, after all. (By my calculations that would be 107 x 480px?)

If someone is going to remake the backgrounds at higher resolution later, they are very unlikely to match these versions, and since they're redoing the entire background anyway, they would probably make them in widescreen from the beginning?

Anyways, I'm incredibly impressed with your work ultraneonoirantihero.
ultraneonoirantihero

JohnnyWalker2001 wrote: One thing I don't understand is why the sides of the images aren't being made to match the resolution :oops: of the original artwork? If they were done to the same specifications, they would surely match better? The exact same interpolation would be applied, after all. (By my calculations that would be 107 x 480px?).
Well, I am making them in 107x480 :) You can check it yourself, on the previous page right click on some addon and choose "image info" to see the resolution.

At one point Botje said to make them in 240x1080, but I had the same logic and thought process as you, so I made them in 480p to match the original backgrounds.

I'm glad you like them :) I hope Residual main branch will soon have support for some "wide" folder where users can drag n drop new images as we make them.

New batch of addons coming soon...

P.S. Yes Johnny, at one point I did ask Botje if the upscaled addons would make the black ridge go away, but I still haven't got any response... but I'm still making addons to match the original rez.
JohnnyWalker2001

Ah! Great news. You've done an excellent job so far.

I might be able to help out with a few, but work will have to let up first.
ultraneonoirantihero

Hello, guys. I made 4 new backgrounds and 7 more are 50% done.

But more important: I made a web site to keep track of the progress and to spread the word :)

http://www.grimwidescreen.com/

I'm going to bed, I'm exhausted...
Last edited by carrrramba on Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JohnnyWalker2001

Awesome! This looking like it's really going to happen! Woo!
ultraneonoirantihero

Just added "Kotaku" reference, to make it more "official". NOW I'm going to bed, for real this time...
Botje

Post by Botje »

ultraneonoirantihero wrote:
JohnnyWalker2001 wrote: One thing I don't understand is why the sides of the images aren't being made to match the resolution :oops: of the original artwork? If they were done to the same specifications, they would surely match better? The exact same interpolation would be applied, after all. (By my calculations that would be 107 x 480px?).
Well, I am making them in 107x480 :) You can check it yourself, on the previous page right click on some addon and choose "image info" to see the resolution.

P.S. Yes Johnny, at one point I did ask Botje if the upscaled addons would make the black ridge go away, but I still haven't got any response... but I'm still making addons to match the original rez.
The black ridges were my fault (off-by-one error), I haven't pushed the commits yet.
107x480 textures are fine, they are stretched (aspect-ratio preserving) to the full screen height.
ultraneonoirantihero

Botje wrote:I haven't pushed the commits yet.
Commits to the Branch? When will it be merged with the Trunk (git:master)?
Botje

Post by Botje »

I meant to 'pushed to my branch'. I have no idea if or when these will end up in ResidualVM master.
ultraneonoirantihero

Been working on those partially finished backgrounds. Still are partially finished.

Updated the site with "Rock Paper Shotgun" reference, forgot about that one.

I don't have the energy this week to register domain name and server space to migrate the site from my personal to "official" one. Will do in the next 2 weeks, too lazy, too tired.

Site contents grows more in concept:
- more links
- instructions (waiting for Residual to get wide support)
- GF easter eggs, secrets, fun facts
- download
- integration with other mods (high-poly models, p&c mod)
- press coverage
Botje wrote:I meant to 'pushed to my branch'. I have no idea if or when these will end up in ResidualVM master.
Then what's the point of doing this if GF fans world wide can't download Residual and play it wide? Who decides what and when gets merged with the master?