Widescreen mod

Discussions regarding the development of the mod "Grim Fandango Deluxe"

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Botje

Re: Widescreen mod

Post by Botje »

The side textures only show up in fullscreen mode, but commenting out these two lines (https://github.com/Botje/residualvm/blo ... #L198-L199) will start a fullscreen-sized windows without actually triggering fullscreen.
ultraneonoirantihero

Post by ultraneonoirantihero »

An update:

- I'm not dead, although 2 weeks ago I got stress induced allergy to pollen
- Finally got the mod to work, my mistake of already having an several existing residual apps installed besides the mod
- Noticed that add-ons don't stretch perfectly, they start ok at the top but they stretch vertically more than they should so they go off-screen at the bottom. If scaling is proportional I will try changing the add-ons size. But can someone confirm if scaling is proportional?
- Will finish those half-finished 8 backgrounds in the next 7 days. That's a promise. Then we'll have 100% complete first puzzle in widescreen.
Botje

Post by Botje »

For those of you not following development closely:
The widescreen mod has been merged into ResidualVM masters, so you can just test widescreen support with nightly builds now.
There was talk of backporting this code to a new minor release, but no decision has been made.
Harrypoppins

Post by Harrypoppins »

Botje wrote:For those of you not following development closely:
The widescreen mod has been merged into ResidualVM masters, so you can just test widescreen support with nightly builds now.
There was talk of backporting this code to a new minor release, but no decision has been made.
Hello,
Wich argument I've to use at launch to enable the widescreen support ?
ultraneonoirantihero

Wow, 5 yrs later and I still have the whole El Marrow sitting on 70% completion. The whole thing kinda stopped when DF released the remaster. I am gonna finish those backgrounds by the end of february and upload them so at least Year 1 is partialy Widescreen.

As for your question, visit
http://www.grimwidescreen.com
Download the zip file and place it in the game folder so the Residual will pick up the additional data.

But its been 5 yrs and i forgot how to apply it, it should be something simple by just renaming it "gamedata0000.dat" or something. Scroll a few posts earlier in this topic and you will find it.

Good thing the branch with this support is merged in master and I paid the hosting every year for the last 5 yrs :) But shame on me for not finishing those, will finish at least 20 scenes in feb and upload them to the website.

Keep in touch, glad this topic is still alivr
Harrypoppins

Post by Harrypoppins »

Truly I've try many stuff, but I never been able to use it (do I need an older version of scummvm ?)
If you can point me wich message who is the good way to use it, it could be very kind to you.

Iv try to change to software renderer, opengl, full screen, enable/disable user patch, check uncheck aspect ratio, put the zip in estra path, uncompress the zip in extra path location, in game location too, try to build side screen branch too. Seriously that's not a lazy attitude.
Kasenshlogga

Post by Kasenshlogga »

ultraneonoirantihero wrote:Wow, 5 yrs later and I still have the whole El Marrow sitting on 70% completion. The whole thing kinda stopped when DF released the remaster. I am gonna finish those backgrounds by the end of february and upload them so at least Year 1 is partialy Widescreen.

Download the zip file and place it in the game folder so the Residual will pick up the additional data.

But its been 5 yrs and i forgot how to apply it, it should be something simple by just renaming it "gamedata0000.dat" or something. Scroll a few posts earlier in this topic and you will find it.

Good thing the branch with this support is merged in master and I paid the hosting every year for the last 5 yrs :) But shame on me for not finishing those, will finish at least 20 scenes in feb and upload them to the website.

Wow I didn't expect anyone to still be working on this after all this time! :shock:

After the release of Grim Remastered somehow this forum died all of a sudden after having had so much activity, it was kinda sad to see.

It would be really awesome to see this widescreen mod finished at some point. Especially combined with something like AI upscaling so we can get a taste of what true re-renders of the original backgrounds would have looked like.
dariwonka

Post by dariwonka »

ultraneonoirantihero wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:07 pm Wow, 5 yrs later and I still have the whole El Marrow sitting on 70% completion. The whole thing kinda stopped when DF released the remaster. I am gonna finish those backgrounds by the end of february and upload them so at least Year 1 is partialy Widescreen.

Hello, could you explain a bit more how to do it?
I was more or less following this post, but I am not able to see it widescreen
kavehth wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:11 pm
ultraneonoirantihero wrote: Really excited, looks amazing. Kavehth, how was does it feel playing GF in widescreen? Do you create "wide" folder inside Residual and place PNGs there?
It feels great playing in widescreen especially the scenes that are in the streets.

you can put files directly in the game folder or in a folder called "widescreen".
ultraneonoirantihero wrote: Also, how did you embed new sharpened backgrounds, did you repackage lab files (data001.lab or whatever it's called) or some other way?
For the hi-res backgrounds I've made a program that converts a png to a .bm file, after converting i package them inside a file called "datausr.lab" and put that in the game folder. right now the program does not compress the images, so the size of the images are a bit bigger than the ones in the game.

i made two versions of residual one that renders at 640x480:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/eualnikgubb5u ... 0.zip?dl=0

and one that renders at 1440x1080:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/wft9ae5kzmv4v ... 0.zip?dl=0

you have to go into fullscreen in order to see the sides

here is the program for converting images:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/n8f6610esvmal ... M.zip?dl=0

and here is a couple of images that i sharpened and repackaged:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/njgbc9c81r4et ... r.zip?dl=0
And I have tried with the last link, where it says: the couple of images that he sharpened and repackaged, and put the datausr.lab inside the Grim Fandango folder, and it does not work properly, it just mess up everything:

ultraneonoirantihero

dariwonka wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 3:45 pm Hello, could you explain a bit more how to do it?
Like, big announcement regarding this one in the next few days. Redemption for 5 years of inactivity. Stay tuned :)
dariwonka

Post by dariwonka »

ultraneonoirantihero wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 9:43 pm
dariwonka wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 3:45 pm Hello, could you explain a bit more how to do it?
Like, big announcement regarding this one in the next few days. Redemption for 5 years of inactivity. Stay tuned :)
Great!
dariwonka

Post by dariwonka »

How's this going?
ultraneonoirantihero

dariwonka wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 5:05 pm
How's this going?
Like: I got Corona from the plumbers that were fixing my bathroom pipe burst which were difficult to find due to Covid, and while I was sick I finished all the scenes from the start of the game till Petrified Forrest. I have the files (exe and the zip with all those backgrounds) and I will upload them today. I wanted to do a video showcase. But... MY PC MOTHERBOARD BROKE :) This is for real. But I kept a daily backup of my work on an external SSD and I will use my company's laptop to upload it. But since 100% of my work is comming from Photoshop, I can't install my licenced Adobe PS on my working laptop, company firewall. So I am fixing my PC. Actually buying a new one. Files in few hours.
ultraneonoirantihero

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

GRIM FANDANGO WIDESCREEN MOD
http://www.grimwidescreen.com/

The 2021 update video. Widescreen gameplay footage. Year 1 "work order" puzzle solution:
https://youtu.be/oFjkgz7BnjM

1. FILES TO DOWNLOAD

Official ResidualVM (with official Widescreen support)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1AUuaoz ... sp=sharing

Widescreen addons
moderatorial: the link has been removed

Deluxe 3D upgrade (higher poly and texture characters)
moderatorial: the link has been removed

2. MOD INSTRUCTIONS

To play Grim Fandango with the Widescreen Mod:
1. Download ResidualVM application and the widescreen.zip
2. Start ResidualVM and load your Grim Fandango's game files
3. Extract the archive and place the "widescreen" folder inside your Grim's game folder
4. Set "Fullscreen" & "Keep aspect ratio" in Residual's video settings
5. Play the game

To play "Year One" with updated high-poly and high-res Manny and Glottis models:

1. Download datausr.lab and place it in the game folder next to other *.lab files
3. Enable "Load user patch" in the ResidualVM game setings (disable when 'Year Two' is reached)
3. Play the game

3. PROJECT STATUS

Okay, so this is a fan project. It started when I saw JohnnyWalker's Deluxe project in 2011. Back then I made a demo (that made it to the Kotaku, MixnMojo and RockPaperShotgun) to showcase that a widescreen is achievable... and that it looks good. A large community of developers was making reverse-engineered tools to extract 3D models from 2D images using Z-buffer, to upscale resolution to HD, to expand display area, load additional 2D images and place them on the sides of existing 2D backgrounds. This was achieved in 2011. I even made a website to promote this. Then this feature was merged into the trunk repo of the ResidualVM project and became available just by adding a widescreen folder in you game folder.

This has all been working for years. It is available for development, testing and release since 2015. But since no one continued making those 2D addons, project stalled.

From a modding standpoint it's easy, anyone can contribute to the project. Just drop some 107x480px PNG files in the "widescreen" folder, take the "simplified" original room name and add "_left" & "_right" to it, Residual searches for "room_name_left.png". From a quality standpoint it's a tough one. Some scenes don't have multiple angles to reconstruct from. And some are just pure madness of detail. And from a technical standpoint, it all has to fit and blend to a 640x480 256 colors dithered images from 1998. Even the official 2015 remaster has no true wide support, in the DoubleFine documentary they even talk about source files being lost and too much work required to "smooth out the dithering cause its like manually correcting jpeg artifacts".

And this mod works. You can now play the first puzzle in smashing 42 widescreen scenes. Out of the box, drag n drop.

Covid lockdown gave me spare time to continue working on this... but it also gave me Covid.

So please, it's corny, but: like, share and subscribe to keep this project living. Because as of 2020 ResdiualVM got integrated into ScummVM and this feature is now a part of a larger project. You can search the forum for tools, you have the game and resource files, you have the new widescreen backgrounds and upgraded models ready for download, try it out, paint an addon, replace a texture, drop an update here, keep it going.

Appreciate any feedback. Sorry for the delays. Will keep working on this.

4. FUTURE WORK

SCUMM
ResidualVM is now merged with SvummVM, bet there are some source conflict issues in the app from preventing this widescreen feature to function properly. This mod only works with latest official ResidualVM build. Anyone interested in ScummVM bug can take a look at:
  • void SurfaceSdlGraphicsManager::drawSideTextures()

RESOLUTION
If the higher native resolution is unlocked, that could mean a support for high-res widescreen backgrounds too, on top of Deluxe's HD characters.

ESRGAN
And for resolving the problem of HD, people already MADE high-res AI upscales in ESRGAN... and they look amazing.

Z-BUFF EXTRACT
For multiple camera angle locations this is a godsend. Resolves so many blind-spot issues. But this is a multistep process: get the Z-buff, extract the 3D, project textures, get the right camera angle written in game files.
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=15964

DELUXE
Only Year One models are finished, this is also an ongoing project. The characters are amazing, upscaled textures and smooth high polygon models.
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=15537
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=15530
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=15999

DISPLAY AREA
There is a visual limit to 3D, the original game is still rendered in 4:3 and the wide addons are not part of the game area. When you're in the inventory screen Manny's right holding hand goes off-screen constantly while cycling through the inventory. If the game area is extended to 16:9, we can avoid this... but we could run into re-positioning and re-scaling problems.

SECONDARY TRIGGERS
DOD garage. Doors are closed before the Land of the Living visit, doors are opened after and when Glottis is gone. Same room name, same background, engine adds opened doors image. If the engine LUA script or some other trigger can be found for this, alternative widescreen addons can be used to correct this in few places.

TRUE HD WIDESCREEN
In the end, if higher resolution and extended display area with corrected background and character repositioning can be achieved, then we could have and actual full HD true widescreen remaster of the game. An edition better than the official remaster.

NOIR MODE
And my guess that with all textures extracted and ran through some batch scripted processing to convert it to black & white with, we could have a Noir Mode. Backgrounds and textures are images, video can be processed too. Drop datausr_noir.lab in game folder, enable it in ScummVM, hotkey switchable. Kinda expected this in official remaster.

5. CREDITS

BgBennyBoy (The launcher)

JohnnyWalker (3D models, architecture)

Botje (C++ programming wide mod)

Nitrus (Models)

Kavehth (3D rooms from Z-buffer extrapolation)

Ultra Neo Noir Anti Hero (2D widescreen addons)

Cplhenshaw (3D models, converters)

Somaen (Architecture, tools)

6. LINKS

Website (needs an update, resources in this post are newer):

Old 2015 showcase video:
https://youtu.be/cigf0ZT9pu0​

Press coverage:

KOTAKU:
https://kotaku.com/heres-what-grim-fand ... ke-5876549

MOJO:
https://mixnmojo.com/news/CC-15-Grim-Fandango-Deluxe

RPS:
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/what-i ... ngo-deluxe

P.S.
As soon as I fix my old PC or get it's data recovered, I will post an updated (more refined) addons of the existing scenes. Those images exist but weren't backed up before my motherboard failure.

NOTE
This feature has problems if you are trying to use the ScummVM after the ResidualVM merger. Some things in source are in conflict, the addons are all over the place. This mod only works with latest official ResidualVM build. Anyone interested in ScummVM bug can take a look at:

void SurfaceSdlGraphicsManager::drawSideTextures():
https://github.com/Botje/residualvm/blo ... #L198-L199

Attachments
residual_settings_02.png
residual_settings_02.png (58.13 KiB) Viewed 6263 times
residual_settings_01.png
residual_settings_01.png (65.38 KiB) Viewed 6263 times
gf_wide_title.png
gf_wide_title.png (67.87 KiB) Viewed 6263 times
ultraneonoirantihero

Updated the Grim Widescreen website:

Download residual, wide addons and deluxe models in one place. Contains couple of ini file code tweaks examples. Has a Youtube video walkthrough of the first puzzle. Esrgan comparisons. More stuff to come.

Note: main menu links are borken since i redesigned just the main page and not the others. a work in progress.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFjkgz7BnjM

Still working on this. With available addons you have an hour of an uninterrupted widescreen experience.
RetroNuva10

Post by RetroNuva10 »

So great to see this still being updated! New user here, so please excuse my lack of familiarity.

How can I help out? If you need more scenes expanded, I can give it a shot. Could you describe your process of drawing them a little?

In other news, I've been messing around recreating the office in Blender and seeing how well I can replicate the lighting/materials so that, potentially, the scenes could just be rendered at whatever resolution is needed. I've gotten a couple camera angles effectively identical to the original cameras. I've never dug into the code of the game, but if the camera position/rotation/FOV is accessible, it could potentially be ripped from the game and into Blender rather than tediously eyeballing it for an hour.

I'm not sure if this would be a useful direction to go in or not, but here's a peek at what I have if you're interested: https://imgur.com/a/GVEjb1l

Keep up the excellent work!